Spike Camp

Vanguard .375 H&H

Vanguard .375 H&H
« on: October 31, 2018, 06:59:04 PM »
After being out of the Weatherby camp for a couple years I just placed a new Vanguard .375H&H on layaway. I just missed how much I really enjoyed shooting and carrying the Vanguards and needed, okay wanted, a .375 and couldn’t think of a better combination. Now I can see more in the near future as well as perhaps a Mark V.

• View Profile
Re: Vanguard .375 H&H
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2018, 07:36:26 PM »
Congratulations on your purchase
What do you plan on hunting with it? 375 H&H in a big caliber
Mike

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2018, 08:00:02 PM »
You have a real thumper there. Congrats. Want is a plenty good reason.
Roger
Faster horses,younger women,older whiskey,and more money.

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2018, 04:30:17 PM »
Hey thanks for the replies.  One of the things that I really like about the great old H&H is that it seems to be that perfect combination of features that allow it to be used on anything from groundhogs to elephant. For me it will probably be loaded with a lighter 235 grain Speer and used for hog and whitetail deer. If I go back west I would use it or my .416 Rigby, if I was feeling sporty, for bison. I think there will be several Weatherbys at home here in the next few months....

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2018, 03:02:31 AM »
Great gun - I love my 375 H&H. Iconic caliber. Enjoy it!

Question - I've swapped my 375 H&H synthetic stock with my Vanguard Sporter 30-06 wood stock, do I need to worry about the wood stock's integrity? Haven't fired either yet.

Barrel contours are both #2, swap went smoothly and the fit and finish look acceptable.

I see the Vanguard Safari on the Weatherby site and it doesn't say anything about the lug bedding being extraordinary. I know the Vanguard Dangerous Game rifle is composite with integrated aluminium bedding.

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2018, 08:10:22 AM »
The receiver tang is deeply inlet into the stock so reward movement is non-existent. That said, I would not put that rifle in a lead sled since it may crack at the pistol grip. Did you notice if the wood stock had the epoxy filler in the bottom of the  receiver inlet. There may have been two horizontal areas that look to be filled with epoxy. If those are there then the stock is reinforced with metal (not sure what is used) and it may be fine. The 30-06 has a really sharp 21 ft lb recoil so I would think that stock would hold up in its new home.
Steve
Lifetime NRA Member
Retired in the Nevada high desert and loving life.

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2018, 09:03:43 PM »
The receiver tang is deeply inlet into the stock so reward movement is non-existent. That said, I would not put that rifle in a lead sled since it may crack at the pistol grip. Did you notice if the wood stock had the epoxy filler in the bottom of the  receiver inlet. There may have been two horizontal areas that look to be filled with epoxy. If those are there then the stock is reinforced with metal (not sure what is used) and it may be fine. The 30-06 has a really sharp 21 ft lb recoil so I would think that stock would hold up in its new home.

Thanks, sschefer. I should have looked for the epoxy. I knew that the Mark V wood stocks are reinforced with a piece of metal bar and sort of an L shaped metal bend all bedded down in epoxy. Good call about the led sled and pistol grip. When I get a few moments I'll take it all apart again and look - give you a heads up for the sake of knowing.