Spike Camp

Weatherby Mark V .338WinMag

Re: Weatherby Mark V .338WinMag
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2018, 04:35:51 AM »
Good to know.  As I continue to read about these Mag load rifles, I see that they do have quite a bit more recoil than my 556 haha.  That and this memory burnt into my brain of my (inexperienced) buddy shooting a .300 WinMag and seeing the scope leave a nice arc above his right eye socket haha talk about a bloody mess.  Oddly enough, he never made that mistake again lol

« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2018, 06:10:18 AM »
Thank you everyone for your help!  Ammo is on its way, Hornady Superperformance SST 200 grain.  Next, a scope with some excellent eye relief haha.

you seemed to be a bit concerned about the recoil, and you ordered super performance ammo  ::)  ::)

Rob
cfp-223REM
accumark-223Rem
ultralite-240 Wby
synthetic-240 Wby
synthetic-257 Wby
ultralite-270 Wby
fibermark-270 Wby
accumark-270 Wby
accumark-7mm Wby
stainless-300 Wby
fibermark-300Wby
accumark-30378 Wby
fibermark-340 Wby
accumark-338378 Wby
custom-375 Wby
DGR-378 Wby
DGR-416 Wby
custom DGR-460 Wby

danno50

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2018, 06:48:50 AM »
Good to know.  As I continue to read about these Mag load rifles, I see that they do have quite a bit more recoil than my 556 haha.  That and this memory burnt into my brain of my (inexperienced) buddy shooting a .300 WinMag and seeing the scope leave a nice arc above his right eye socket haha talk about a bloody mess.  Oddly enough, he never made that mistake again lol
Be sure to get a scope "for the type hunting" you'll be doing and that it has at least 3 to 3.5", 4" if possible of eye relief. You'll never get off a good shot if you're worrying about scope eye or how bad the recoil will be. If recoil is a concern with that SST ammo, or any ammo, get a Limbsaver slip-on before you take it to the range. The slip-on can be used to reduce recoil, or increase LOP on most rifles.
DosEquisShooter

« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2018, 06:58:05 AM »
Thank you, danno50!  Iím sure I can handle the recoil, but when youíve never shot a certain caliber, first several rounds will be a little tense until you know can feel and expect whatís coming when you squeeze the trigger. On the ammo, I shoot Hornady.  There were only 4 options available and I didnít think I needed a 230g bullet with .616BC for the area Iím in.  I think the 200g will suit fine for the range and animal.  Weíll see.  Either way, Iím excited to get this thing to the range!

dixie1

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2018, 08:53:15 AM »
but when youíve never shot a certain caliber, first several rounds will be a little tense until you know can feel and expect whatís coming when you squeeze the trigger.
I agree but .338 win is not bad. I will soon have a chance to shoot a double express .500 nitro with 570gr solid. I have been told that one has some recoil.

DW5

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2018, 09:19:02 AM »
but when youíve never shot a certain caliber, first several rounds will be a little tense until you know can feel and expect whatís coming when you squeeze the trigger.
I agree but .338 win is not bad. I will soon have a chance to shoot a double express .500 nitro with 570gr solid. I have been told that one has some recoil.

Video that experience and post here if you can!
You cant catch a fish without a hook in the water....

dixie1

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2018, 09:56:05 AM »

LOL you are not the only one that has asked me to.

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2018, 10:03:25 AM »

I hear the 500 nitro with 570 gr solids, come straight back " with" a lot of jump so it shouldn't be too bad  :o :o ;D ;D

LOL you are not the only one that has asked me to.
Mike

« Reply #23 on: November 05, 2018, 10:56:13 AM »
Thank you, eford.

Badsection,
I could not tell you for sure but looking close at it, Iím 95% sure itís stainless.  I contacted Weatherby as well to get more info from the serial number.  I know it was made sometime between 1994-2002 based off the SS.  Sadly, I canít find a dang gun shop around me that sells a .338 WinMag.  I must be the only idiot in Indiana to buy a .338 WinMag for deer LOL  Iím sure this thing will whack the daylights out of a whitetail though.  We will see in 2 weeks.
No reason not to use it on a Whitetail.  I killed an 8 point years ago with a Winchester Model 70 338 Win. Magnum. Shot him high through the lungs with a handloaded 200 gr. Hornady .  He run off about 25-30 yards and fell over dead.  My 270 Winchester would have done more damage.  A deer does not offer a lot of resistance to most .338 caliber bullets.  I traded that Model 70 and got a Weatherby Mark V Stainless in 340 Weatherby Magnum.  No regrets! BTW your rifle IS Stainless!