Spike Camp

Question on synthetic stocks

Question on synthetic stocks
« on: November 04, 2018, 08:03:34 AM »
Hi everyone!  :D

I have been reading many of your posts as I research rifles that I will purchase in the near future. One for me and one for my wife. I tend to be OCD in researching anything I buy.

I really like the Vanguards. My wife likes the Browning X-bolts. Each just felt good in our respective arms. ( I have informed her that the Browning's DuraTouch stocks are having some major issues....)

Can anyone tell me how "weather proof" the Vanguard Synthetic stock is?
I have considered spraying it with a krylon matt finish.
I am curious if anyone else has done this?
I doubt this would even be necessary.

The answer to the obvious question you may ask is, "we will be moving to the Delta Junction area in Alaska in the near future and plan to hunt...everything." Lol
Farming Haskapa berries is the goal. My wife is working on a CPM (midwife).
We love the cold and snow.

I am looking at the Stainless Synthetic in a 7mm rem mag. Also looked at the Accuguard but this doesn't come in 7mm rem mag. Originally I was going to get the 300 win mag but I hesitate on getting something with too much felt recoil, especially for my wife. For simplicity sake, I want us both to have the same caliber.
I won't gain much in extra energy with the 300 win mag.
....but if the felt recoil isn't terrible, I may consider it. Also, if the Accuguard stock is considerably better, I may opt for different calibers. (She gets a 7mm rem mag and I get a 300 win mag).

Thank you very much for any input!
Jeff

257 Shooter

• 257 Shooter
    • View Profile
Re: Question on synthetic stocks
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2018, 10:01:35 AM »
Welcome aboard. The Synthetic stock is for the most part, completely weatherproof. Some don't like them for various reasons. We have had very good luck. I've painted a few. That works out pretty well. The paint can wear but you can always redo it. The Vanguard Stainless in 7mm Remington Magnum is a great choice.

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2018, 10:54:49 AM »
Thank you.

I was hoping they were mostly weatherproof.

Why do others dislike these stocks?

The 7mm will do the job for most everything up there.
Here is a neat article on this.

http://www.shootingtimes.com/editorial/ammunition_trophy-grade_bullets_021111/99753#

And another

https://ronspomeroutdoors.com/blog/make-mountain-rifle-bear-stopping-rifle/

Stacy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2018, 01:44:22 PM »
I've owned both the Vanguards and the Xbolts and I live outside of North Pole, Alaska about 70 miles north of Delta Junction. I've heard stories of the duratouch coating on Browning shotguns coming apart when deet from insect repellent comes in contact with it. I've owned a Maxus shotgun since around 2012 with no issues and I had an xbolt in 30-06 and one in 338 win mag and didn't have a problem with either one.

I would say buy whichever brand of rilfle has the features each of you like the most. We are living in a golden age of firearms and ammo manufacturing and it's a good bet any of the major brands will function fine and shoot well. 

Synthetic stocks are generally impervious to the elements so you won't have any problems with them. I swapped out my Vanguard S2 stocks for B&C stocks I ordered from Weatherby just like they had on their S1 Vanguards. I just preferred the B&C to the new Vanguard stocks. As long as they are stiff and don't flex you won't have point of impact problems.

With respect to calibers, Delta Junction has interior grizz but they don't require something with a lanyard to dispatch. The native villages up here are full of old military surplus rifles and 30-30s. I would say the 3 most popular calibers in Alaska are 30-06, 300 WM and the 338 WM...probably in that order.

Feel free to P.M. me with any other questions you may have about Alaska. Alaska is a great place to live. Also, the Alaska Outdoor forums have some helpful folks on them too.  http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/         

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2018, 04:35:59 PM »
I have gathered that the X-bolt will no longer have the DuraTouch in 2019. (Rumor)
She liked how it felt and it is a VERY good rifle. We will wait till next year's models come out.
I pretty sure about the Vanguard.
Always wanted a Mark V but now the Vanguard is almost as good.

I have done my research on the area.
OCD you know😏

Been on the outdoors directory forum too.

I know as much about the area as many locals do. Reminds me of an Andy Griffith Show when the stranger walked into town and called Mayberry his hometown. Knew everything about everyone. Turned out he was reading their newspapers for years. ::)

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2018, 05:08:04 PM »
I heard all the same things everyone else has about the DuraTouch stocks and still bought a Hells Canyon Speed in 300 WSM. I've yet to have any problems with mine and I figured if I did, I'd just put a McMillan stock on it. The rifle itself is a good shooter. It comes with a comp on the barrel but also has a thread protector. Leave the comp on the bench and put the thread protector on when hunting.

Would I buy another one, probably not. I'm spoiled by my Weatherby's and I personally think they have more value in the long run. Why settle for fast when you can have the fastest.
Steve
Lifetime NRA Member
Retired in the Nevada high desert and loving life.

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2018, 06:43:55 AM »
I love my Accuguard with the heavy free floated barrel and ball and Carlson stock. I wish you could find a caliber you like!

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2018, 08:32:41 AM »
Two of my Vanguards have the Weatherby Griptonite (?) stocks.  I lengthened both of them to 14" LOP, glass and pillar bedded the actions, floated the barrels, and painted the stocks, including a spider web finish.  These stocks are completely waterproof.

I will be taking the one in .308 Win to Kodiak Is. in a couple of weeks for a Blacktail hunt.
NRA Endowment Life Member

DW5

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2018, 12:56:37 PM »
Two of my Vanguards have the Weatherby Griptonite (?) stocks.  I lengthened both of them to 14" LOP, glass and pillar bedded the actions, floated the barrels, and painted the stocks, including a spider web finish.  These stocks are completely waterproof.

I will be taking the one in .308 Win to Kodiak Is. in a couple of weeks for a Blacktail hunt.

That sounds like an awesome hunt! How long is your trip? What’s the weather supposed to be like and what is your camp/sleeping situation gonna be?
You cant catch a fish without a hook in the water....

« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2018, 01:55:06 AM »

Good luck and good shooting to you.

« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2018, 07:41:18 AM »
It's a 5 day hunt based off a boat.  Some fishing will also be possible off the boat.  I'm hoping that the deer will be down from the mountains and close to the beaches.  I'm also hoping that the bucks will still have their antlers, and that the big, clawed, toothy, furry creatures are in their winter beds.

I chose to take my SS plastic stocked .308 and am bringing full rain gear, but will be leaving my sun screen at home.

NRA Endowment Life Member