Spike Camp

Barrel twist rate

Barrel twist rate
« on: November 04, 2018, 10:45:50 PM »
Would anyone know the twist rate of an early (1961) FN Mauser Weatherby chambered in .257 Weatherby Mag.?

I had heard “early” guns had a 1:12 twist vs. the more common 1:10.

Re: Barrel twist rate
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2018, 07:18:33 AM »
likely 1:12 if it's the original barrel, 224king will know for sure, he's very informed on the old Weatherby's.

Rob

224KING

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2018, 07:18:36 AM »
1 in 12
Retirement; The art of doing very little,very slowly

Expert; Someone who knows so much about so little

If you live in the swirl of the drain,inevitably you'll wind up in the cesspool.

Remember 10534

Sorry... Yesterday was the last and final day for any and all complaints whatsoever.

dubyam

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2018, 07:37:51 AM »
If you have any doubts, use a tight-fitting patch and jag (not too tight, but snug) and count the length it takes for your cleaning rod to make one rotation as you push the jag down the bore.
I believe this is a practical world, and in it I can count only on what I can earn.  Therefore I believe in work, hard work. - The Auburn Creed
The older I get, the less stock I place in what men say, and the more I place in what men do. - Andrew Carnegie

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2018, 08:47:04 AM »
If you have any doubts, use a tight-fitting patch and jag (not too tight, but snug) and count the length it takes for your cleaning rod to make one rotation as you push the jag down the bore.

Thanks all -

That was next on my list of "things to do."

Since I handload, are my chances slim that a 1:12 twist will stabilize the heavier bullets?

Answering my own question: I'll just have to try and see what happens.

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2018, 10:49:23 AM »
224KING is the most knowledgeable person here on Weatherby rifles.I would say your chances are very slim.  It it is always fun to play though.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2018, 10:54:36 AM by terminator »
Roger
Faster horses,younger women,older whiskey,and more money.

224KING

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2018, 08:00:07 PM »
If you're handloading,find the shortest 100 grain bullets you can buy and try those.Try the 80 grain TTSX.You'll be amazed on it's killing ability out of the 257.What sized game are you going to be hunting?

If you live in the swirl of the drain,inevitably you'll wind up in the cesspool.

Remember 10534

Sorry... Yesterday was the last and final day for any and all complaints whatsoever.

sschefer

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2018, 08:42:26 AM »
If you're handloading,find the shortest 100 grain bullets you can buy and try those.Try the 80 grain TTSX.You'll be amazed on it's killing ability out of the 257.What sized game are you going to be hunting?

Absolutely agree.. I think one thing a lot of folks forget is how fast the .257 is. A lighter bullet that would be able to stabilize in a 1-12 twist will still expand very well and create a deadly wound channel. It may not be sub moa at 100 yards but it will group consistently which from a hunting perspective might be just as important. A 80 gr TSX will likely give you 1.5 MOA and maybe less but it shouldn't be more and it will kill.

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2018, 08:56:21 AM »
The savage 250-3000 will shoot a 100 grain bullet, and if I remember right its 1-12 or maybe 1-14, cant remember for sure. Would not stabilize the 120 grain
Give the 100 grain bullets a try

eford

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2018, 08:48:47 AM »
The 117gn Hornady's will stabilize in the 1:12 barrels. You will have a hard time finding the round nose version of the bullet. The 117gn spire point boat tails are all over the place for availability and work very well in my S2 257 Wby.
Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, she walks into mine.

Every man needs to know his limits.

« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2020, 11:22:05 PM »
Sorry for the delay in responding. Thanks for all the input.

Been busy with other things....................jeez. (I look at when I last posted this and I'm embarrassed.)

Next I've got to mount a scope on this. Had an old 2x8 Balvar scope on B&L mounts and rings. Looking through the scope it appears to be snowing black flecks. I pulled it and the bases. A buddy gave me a couple old Redfield bases, but on the one-piece base the hole spacing is different. The two-piece base lines up but exhibits the rear base isn't high to line the ring up with the front ring. (Rear sits too low.) These bases originally came from a Mark X action.

I'm probably going to mount a Leupold I have on this.

This Weatherby uses an FN Mauser action. I'll assume any "FN Mauser"  base set will fit?

PS - I am going to try the 100 gr. bullets first.

« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2020, 06:57:21 AM »
Wow, you must have been really busy this is an old post. Welcome back and post an update on this rifle if you ever make it go bang. And let your rifle tell you what bullet weight it likes best, you'll be better off in the long run. I just bought my 3rd 257  and plan on trying 80, 90, 100 and 110 gr ammo before I decide. Waiting on my Talley mounts to show up this week.
Doug

« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2020, 10:32:22 AM »
Wow, you must have been really busy this is an old post. Welcome back and post an update on this rifle if you ever make it go bang. And let your rifle tell you what bullet weight it likes best, you'll be better off in the long run. I just bought my 3rd 257  and plan on trying 80, 90, 100 and 110 gr ammo before I decide. Waiting on my Talley mounts to show up this week.

Work and other "purchases" redirected my focus. Back on track now!

224KING

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2020, 11:49:39 AM »
It's a FN 400 Mauser action

Remember 10534

« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2020, 02:54:19 PM »
It's a FN 400 Mauser action

Thank you.