Spike Camp

7mm wby

stevenchadg

7mm wby
« on: November 19, 2008, 07:22:40 PM »
ok what type of grain you use when hunting with this and what type of damage u get with it and what is the longest yards anyone has shot with it

Oregon Jim

Re: 7mm wby
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2008, 09:12:52 AM »
Meat damage will depend upon your choice of bullets and where you place them. Shoot your game in the ham or backstrap and kiss it good-bye. The simple rule is don't shoot the parts you want to eat. Place your shots wisely or don't shoot. It's just that simple.

The 7mm Wby is capable of shots waaaay far out there, much farther out than one should hunt game. This is one of the finest calibers you could choose.

dubyam

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2008, 11:34:33 AM »
I don't own a 7mmWby, but I am close with my 270Wby.  Hunting white-tails with either of these is really just about ideal.  I'd look at whatever shot best in your rifle out of the available 140, 150, 154, and 160gr loads (either factory or handloads), and use a bullet that is reasonably strong in construction, just due to the velocity.  I'd consider the Nosler Partition, Accubond, or E-Tip, or any Hornady bullet in those weights, or a Speer flat-based Hot-Cor, or a Barnes TTSX.  In the heavier weights, you'd be alright with less robust construction, but in the lighter weights, I'd go with a bonded bullet with a polymer tip or the Partition.  Hornady is bringing out the GMX bullet next year sometime, which is lead free (like the TSX/TTSX or the E-Tip), and will be available in 139gr I believe.  Overall, a durable bullet that shoots accurately in the above listed weight range should be fine.
I believe this is a practical world, and in it I can count only on what I can earn.  Therefore I believe in work, hard work. - The Auburn Creed
The older I get, the less stock I place in what men say, and the more I place in what men do. - Andrew Carnegie

nd wbynut

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2008, 12:39:32 PM »
I have owned a stainless synthetic in 7mm for about 10 years now.  The longes shot I made with it was 469 yards with 154 grain factory load.  I load 140 and 160 grain bullets in my 7mm.  After I run out of 140's I am sticking exclusively to the 160 load.  I think it gives a little more versitility. 
As for meat damage.  like they said before me it is all about shot placement.  But I would also say bullet construction.  You are not going to get as much damage with a premium bullet compared to say a balistic tip.  Stick it behind the shoulder every time and you do not have to worry about meat damage!