Spike Camp

German Mark V Trigger

German Mark V Trigger
« on: November 08, 2018, 01:51:12 PM »
I have a '67 Mark V in 7mm WBY and since forever it has been my only rifle.  Recently I got a Ruger American .270 to plink around with and the trigger on the cheap Ruger is much nicer than the one on my Weatherby.  Is there an adjustment on the WBY or should I look into swapping it out for an aftermarket trigger.  If so which one and is it a DIY job or a gunsmith job?

Re: German Mark V Trigger
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2018, 05:33:32 PM »
I have a '67 Mark V in 7mm WBY and since forever it has been my only rifle.  Recently I got a Ruger American .270 to plink around with and the trigger on the cheap Ruger is much nicer than the one on my Weatherby.  Is there an adjustment on the WBY or should I look into swapping it out for an aftermarket trigger.  If so which one and is it a DIY job or a gunsmith job?

It's a DIY job. The Timney is nice but if your safety is not on your bolt then you won't have one with the new trigger. There is one tensioning screw in the front of the trigger and one pin about mid way on the trigger at the top and it's accessed on the side of the receiver. One side of the receiver is inleted where the pin is so drive it out from that side and replace it from that side. If you don't back off the tensioning screw in the front the pin will be hard to drive out so make sure you do that first.

If you don't want to loose the safety then you can probably take your trigger in to a gun smith for a tune up. Typically, they get full of gunk from gun cleaner dripping into them. Overtime, that turns to sludge and you really can't get it out without taking the trigger apart and cleaning the entire assembly.
What doesn't kill you will make you stronger, except bears. Bears will kill you...

224KING

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2018, 06:08:03 PM »
Timney used to make one for a Mark V with a safety on it.For the early German's with the safety on them.
Sorry... Yesterday was the last and final day for any and all complaints whatsoever.

I try to avoid temptation unless I can't resist it.

Everyone has a photographic memory.Some just don't have film.

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2018, 08:15:41 PM »
Timney used to make one for a Mark V with a safety on it.For the early German's with the safety on them.
They don't anymore. I just bought one and the hole is there but there's not way to use the factory safety with it. You could replace the bolt head with a newer version with the safety. I don't care if I have a safety or not. Ever since a near death experience with a Rem 700 several years ago, I never carry a rifle with a round in the chamber.
What doesn't kill you will make you stronger, except bears. Bears will kill you...