Spike Camp

Just stole 2 scopes!

Just stole 2 scopes!
« on: November 10, 2018, 09:03:52 AM »
Well, almost stole...

This $600 Bushnell Nitro was on sale at MidwayUSA for $400 by error!

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/186225/bushnell-nitro-rifle-scope-4-16x-44mm-side-focus-first-focal-capped-target-turrets-deploy-moa-reticle?utm_medium=email&utm_source=service&utm_campaign=order-confirmation&utm_content=product-description-link

After I purchased 2 of them they brought the sale price back up to $550! (Still a $50 sale)

This is a first focal plane scope. MidwayUSA was matching BassPro's 2nd focal plane price of $400 (normally $450) and accidentally placed this price on a 1st focal plane version.

Here is MidwayUSA's 2nd fp
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/102005477/bushnell-nitro-rifle-scope-4-16x-44mm-side-focus-capped-target-turrets

All I can say is.....SCORE!!!! ;D

sschefer

Re: Just stole 2 scopes!
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2018, 09:39:19 AM »
Well, almost stole...

This $600 Bushnell Nitro was on sale at MidwayUSA for $400 by error!

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/186225/bushnell-nitro-rifle-scope-4-16x-44mm-side-focus-first-focal-capped-target-turrets-deploy-moa-reticle?utm_medium=email&utm_source=service&utm_campaign=order-confirmation&utm_content=product-description-link

After I purchased 2 of them they brought the sale price back up to $550! (Still a $50 sale)

This is a first focal plane scope. MidwayUSA was matching BassPro's 2nd focal plane price of $400 (normally $450) and accidentally placed this price on a 1st focal plane version.

Here is MidwayUSA's 2nd fp
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/102005477/bushnell-nitro-rifle-scope-4-16x-44mm-side-focus-capped-target-turrets

All I can say is.....SCORE!!!! ;D

Congrats, let us know how you like them.

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2018, 10:07:19 AM »
I will let you know...when I have a rifle to put one on.
Still working on getting the rifles and after alot of research on scopes, thought these would be perfect but just over my price range. Wasn't planning on getting a scope till I picked up the rifle. Seen the sale and only hesitated a little.

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2018, 10:19:42 AM »
Bandit  ;D
Roger
Faster horses,younger women,older whiskey,and more money.

sschefer

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2018, 02:53:56 PM »
Still working on getting the rifles and after alot of research on scopes, thought these would be perfect but just over my price range. Wasn't planning on getting a scope till I picked up the rifle. Seen the sale and only hesitated a little.

What rifle are you looking for?

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2018, 03:32:57 PM »

Will probably get a stainless synthetic in 7mm rem mag. But I have not had a chance to hold the "synthetic" model yet. Brownells in Grinnell IA has one. Just have to get down there some time.
Wife wants tge Browning X-Bolt in thevsame caliber. We are waiting to see if the 2019 models will drop the problematic DuraTouch stocks.

sschefer

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2018, 06:47:31 PM »

Will probably get a stainless synthetic in 7mm rem mag. But I have not had a chance to hold the "synthetic" model yet. Brownells in Grinnell IA has one. Just have to get down there some time.
Wife wants tge Browning X-Bolt in thevsame caliber. We are waiting to see if the 2019 models will drop the problematic DuraTouch stocks.

I think they're going with a McMillan stock. They already have one with it. I have a 300WSM Hells Canyon Speed with the DuraTouch and haven't had any problems with it. Many folks have reported problems so I can't say I won't at some point.

The synthetics are fine and certainly lighter just not my favorite. Easier to take care of so if you're prone to beating a rifle up, they will take it better than wood.

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2018, 08:02:26 PM »

I think they're going with a McMillan stock. They already have one with it. I have a 300WSM Hells Canyon Speed with the DuraTouch and haven't had any problems with it. Many folks have reported problems so I can't say I won't at some point.

The synthetics are fine and certainly lighter just not my favorite. Easier to take care of so if you're prone to beating a rifle up, they will take it better than wood.

I love a beautiful wood stock. I personally want the LazerGuard and wanted to get the Medallion Maple X-Bolt for the wife. Maple can make a spectacular gun stock. But.....I expect that we would be a little hard on them in Alaska weather and terrain.

The DuraTouch is having issues with solvents. Of course, solvents and guns kind of go together. DEET will also ruin them.
Their All Weather is a laminate stock and has a stainless barrel. Albeit a blued receiver. Problem is, it has been discontinued.

Correction: the All Weather has a stainless receiver as well.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2018, 08:20:30 PM by North to Alaska »

sschefer

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2018, 11:37:00 AM »
I know of a Synthetic stock Mark V Stainless in .340 WM that is for sale. The rifle was bought for Alaska hunting 20 years ago but that never happened and the rifle has been sitting every since. It has never been fired and well kept. The guy will even throw in a box of ammo. I think he want's 1200.00 for it but you may be able to offer him 1100 and get it. I almost bought it but after thinking it over I realized it would just be a novelty gun for me since I don't hunt for any game that required that large of a caliber. If you would like I can put you in touch with him.

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2018, 08:47:24 PM »
If I were to go Kodiak Bear hunting I might want it. With the proper bullet, a 7mm will take anything up there.
I'm trying to keep things simple, like having the same caliber for both of us.
My wife loves to hunt. I introduced her to it and she never looked back.

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2018, 12:07:02 PM »
I just bought a 6.5 x 20 44mil Vortex Viper for $469 Canadian dollars. That's almost FREE in US dollars
I can't tame wild women
But I can make tame women wild

« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2018, 02:30:39 AM »
So I am now returning these two scopes.
Long explanation.
Went to Sportsman Warehouse in Ankeny, IA last Saturday. Looked at their synthetic (blued) Vanguard. Their website showed 26" barrel...it wasn't. Anyway, I liked the stock and it fits me well.
Intend on getting the stainless version with 26" barrel in 7mm rem mag.

We had a chance to look at the Tikka t3x superlite. All I can say is WOW. Very lightweight rifle. Perfect for the wife. 6 lbs compared to the Vanguard Synthetic at 7.5 lbs.
She had better posture with it.
Glad I was able to get her to switch from the x-bolt to this. I think the Tikka is a better rifle for $300 less than the X-Bolt and no worries about the stock getting sticky.
I will be swapping the recoil pad out for a Kick Ezz. Light gun = more felt recoil.

Then I started to think about the weight of the scopes. The Nitros I purchased were about 1.5 lbs. Yikes. Her rifle would be a bit top heavy and more weight is not good for her.

So I started to research some more. 30mm tubes are for more elevation adjustments. Nothing more.
Parallax adjustments are for extreme long range shooting....at chipmunks.
Here is a great website with a parallax error calculator.
https://www.lelandwest.com/parallax-error-calculator.cfm
With a fixed parallax free setting at 150 yards and a 40mm objective, my MAXIMUM error is 2.4" at 600 yards and about .6" at 25 yards.
That's only if I were to be looking through the scope at the very edge. Who does that???
....and I'm not shooting chipmunks with a 7mm Rem Mag.  ::)
So now I am off loaded from a parallax adjustments.

I am now looking at the Leupold Vx Freedom 4-12x40. $300 but I'm sure it will be on sale at some point. Oh, and it's 13 oz. Half the weight of the Nitro.

sschefer

« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2018, 10:24:18 AM »
The Freedom is an economy version of the VX3. I'm pretty sure that the Freedom is made in China and I would not be surprised if you have to send it in for repair shortly after buying it. If you need to stay in that price range then go to the Vortex Diamondback SFP. I have two of their 3-9x40's and they have been trouble free and light weight. Leupold used to be my goto scope but not anymore. I've had to send three back in the last year and when I get them back 6-8 weeks later the report say's there was nothing wrong with them but by some miracle they are fixed. Maybe the FedEx guy fixed them, I don't know. My older Leupolds have never failed me so something changed and it's not for the better. Vortex is emerging as the new midrange scope leader and my experience with them say's they will take that market away from Leupold.

The Tikka is sweet and a great choice for your wife. My neighbor has one and it is a tack drive. I gave his wife a .243 Vanguard in a Boyd's At-One stock and they both shoot equally well.

Think of the Tikka as Sako's response to the Weatherby Vanguard. I have no clue if that's actually true but they do seem to be constantly trying to one up each other. Forget the fact that Beretta is the money pit, it is irrelevant.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2018, 10:26:10 AM by sschefer »

« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2018, 11:31:47 AM »
Did quite a bit of research on the Freedom line from Leupold. 100% made in USA.
Replaces both Vx1 and Vx2 series. Kerps Vx2 glass and is one piece construction (i think). They simplified the manufacturing by eliminating multiple options. Thus decreases cost. Goes through all their same testings.

The Tikka superlight is the Tikka light with a fluted barrel. Shaves a half pound off. I really liked the feel of it accept the stock was too thin for me.

Oh and I have strongly considered the diamandback. Still an option for me.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2018, 11:36:05 AM by North to Alaska »

« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2018, 12:28:05 PM »
That Tikka is listed as 5.8 lbs and a 13 0unce scope. Even with the Kick ezee pad that rifle is going to be brutal.
Roger
Faster horses,younger women,older whiskey,and more money.