Spike Camp

Next Weekend Hunt

DW5

• View Profile
Next Weekend Hunt
« on: November 10, 2018, 07:18:40 PM »
I posted quite some time ago, at least a year or more, about an old college teammate of mine coming down for his first ever hunt. Due to life happening it just never materialized, until now. He is flying in from California next Thursday evening and we hope to be in the blind by Friday afternoon.

He has successfully taken his hunter safety course and been to his local outdoor shop to outfit himself with a little bit of gear. I’ll be providing all the knives, optics, guns, and ammo necessary.

I always enjoy taking first time or very new hunters into the woods. It’s been awhile since I’ve done it and I find myself looking forward to this hunt more than any in a long time. Hopefully I’ll update this post next Monday or so with some success pics.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2018, 10:08:08 PM by DW5 »
You cant catch a fish without a hook in the water....

Re: Next Weekend Hunt
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2018, 08:18:43 PM »
I posted quite some time ago, a lest a year or more, about an old college teammate of mine coming down for his first ever hunt. Due to life happening it just never materialized, until now. He is flying in from California next Thursday evening and we hope to be in the blind by Friday afternoon.

He has successfully taken his hunter safety course and been to his local outdoor shop to outfit himself with a little bit of gear. I’ll be providing all the knives, optics, guns, and ammo necessary.

I always enjoy taking first time or very new hunters into the woods. It’s been awhile since I’ve done it and I find myself looking forward to this hunt more than any in a long time. Hopefully I’ll update this post next Monday or so with some success pics.

He wouldn’t want to use California compliant knives,rifle and ammo. Hope you guys have fun.
Chris Kiefner

NRA Life Member

DW5

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2018, 10:19:13 PM »

He wouldn’t want to use California compliant knives,rifle and ammo. Hope you guys have fun.

Thank you sir! I’m sure we will

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2018, 07:19:59 AM »
Have fun and good luck!!

I have only taken a couple people on their first big game hunt. But through Pheasants Forever programs have taken several kids and ladies on their first upland bird hunt with dogs.
The dogs are in a lot of family albums in the front range and eastern Colorado

wby4ever

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2018, 07:29:55 AM »
Enjoy and best of luck!

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2018, 08:31:57 AM »
That is some great Texas hospitality DW. I am sure he will have a blast and you both will have some great memories after the hunt. What rifle are you going to set him up with?
Roger
Faster horses,younger women,older whiskey,and more money.

PARA45

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2018, 10:31:57 AM »
That's great DW, and thank you for introducing a new hunter.   Good luck to you guys.
Senator John Kennedy  " If you support defunding the police, you've tested positive for stupid".

DW5

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2018, 01:12:49 PM »
That is some great Texas hospitality DW. I am sure he will have a blast and you both will have some great memories after the hunt. What rifle are you going to set him up with?

Considering setting him up with my Ruger 257 Roberts I finally got back from my brother in law. I’ll also let him shoot my 22-250 with the 64 grain Noslers and see how he likes that. Where he’ll be hunting the shots will be well under 100 yards so any  decent bullet in the boiler room should work.  If he turns out to handle recoil okay I’ll have him use the 240bee Wilderness.

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2018, 03:49:43 PM »

Considering setting him up with my Ruger 257 Roberts I finally got back from my brother in law. I’ll also let him shoot my 22-250 with the 64 grain Noslers and see how he likes that. Where he’ll be hunting the shots will be well under 100 yards so any  decent bullet in the boiler room should work.  If he turns out to handle recoil okay I’ll have him use the 240bee Wilderness.

I have a buddy that lives down there and he loves the .257 Roberts. He has several. He has an old Remington that is a tack driver that he does most of his work with. He has an absolute beauty of a pre 64’ that he rarely shoots in Roberts.
Chris Kiefner

NRA Life Member

BB340

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2018, 05:39:41 PM »
Good to hear mate. Yep although I am a dead set Weatherby man I too think you should get him to use the 257 Roberts!
I have a Remington 700 in one and it is a tack driver. It's one underestimated little round if ever there was one.
Aussie gun nut.

« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2018, 05:14:35 AM »
Good luck on your hunt DW, what gun/ammo are your going to set him up with.

Terry
Guns have two enemies....rust and government
OFHA and CCFR member

DW5

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2018, 08:42:43 AM »
Good luck on your hunt DW, what gun/ammo are your going to set him up with.

Terry

Right now it’s looking like a Ruger .257 Roberts with 117 Hornady SSTs

Stacy

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2018, 10:59:34 AM »
That's awesome! I hope he connects and gets to enjoy some fresh backstrap. The camaraderie experienced while hunting is second only to military service.   

danno50

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2018, 12:32:34 PM »
The 257 Roberts is a dandy caliber to start your pal on. Will he have a little time to shoot a few rounds to get accustomed to the fit and feel of the light recoil? Hornady loads a +P 117 gr. SST Superformance, and again claims no extra recoil or muzzle blast. That +P SST ammo has plenty of knock down power, especially within the limits that you're setting him up to shoot. I hope the both of you have successful hunts. Good Luck
DosEquisShooter

DW5

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2018, 01:58:08 PM »
The 257 Roberts is a dandy caliber to start your pal on. Will he have a little time to shoot a few rounds to get accustomed to the fit and feel of the light recoil? Hornady loads a +P 117 gr. SST Superformance, and again claims no extra recoil or muzzle blast. That +P SST ammo has plenty of knock down power, especially within the limits that you're setting him up to shoot. I hope the both of you have successful hunts. Good Luck

Yes he will. I have a range session planned before our first afternoon hunt on Friday and another one the next day as well. I will hunt with him Friday afternoon and at least Saturday morning in all likelihood. The Hornady ammo you mentioned is the exact ammo I have for the rifle. It really likes it and, as you say, and I’ve personally witnessed, it has very good knockdown power.