Spike Camp

Mark V magazine release button ''stuck''

Mark V magazine release button ''stuck''
« on: November 18, 2018, 10:00:55 AM »
Anyone have this problem or know the best place to get it fixed.  I have owned about a dozen Mark Vs over the last 40 years and never encountered this.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance.
BOB

Re: Mark V magazine release button ''stuck''
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2018, 05:59:44 PM »
Anyone have this problem or know the best place to get it fixed.  I have owned about a dozen Mark Vs over the last 40 years and never encountered this.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance.
BOB

What may have happened is you've dripped bore cleaner in there and over time it's combined with dirt and grime and now it's like glue. Place the rifle in a support barrel down and wrap a bungee cord around the stock and barrel but not over the trigger guard or floor plate. Take out the two trigger guard/floor plate screws and pull off the trigger guard up and out. Clean it with contact cleaner or brake cleaner. Oil it with a Rem Oil or similar gun oil and you should be back in business. When you put the trigger guard back in, you put the rear screw in first and loosely tighten then put the front in and loosely tighten. Torque the rear to no more than 35 inch lbs (NOT foot pounds) then do the front at 35 inch lbs.

As a side note: If the mag box comes out with the trigger guard, make a note of what is top and bottom and front and rear so that you can put it back in correctly. It just drops in but may need a little squeeze on the sides to drop all the way in.
Steve
Lifetime NRA Member
Retired in the Nevada high desert and loving life.

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2018, 08:42:26 AM »
The floor plate releases on one or more of my Vanguard rifles would not release, so I LIGHTLY filed the tip of the release tab on the floor plate.  They all work perfectly now.
NRA Endowment Life Member

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2018, 06:14:41 AM »
My Vanguard has a similar issue. I haven't tried to fix it. Thought it was the action screws being tight or loose but just checked it and with trigger guard and mag door out, it still doesn't open. Please post if lubrication and cleaning works for you. I'm ok with ejecting one at a time as I always drop a round in the snow and have to look for it when I drop the floor plate.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2018, 08:07:25 AM by smileshapr »
"He Who Fails To Be Better, Fails To Be Good"  Oliver Cromwell