Spike Camp

I think I know why they call them accu..bombs

Re: I think I know why they call them accu..bombs
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2018, 09:50:07 AM »
Interesting thread. I've been shooting 100 grain Ballistic tips at deer for over 25 years in my .257's and I can't recall one deer that wasn't DRT?? Ranges were from 100-450 yards. I try to shoot through both shoulders when possible. Deer can't run away with their front axle broke.  ;D Usually there is a significant exit wound through the far shoulder.

I'm looking at reloading for my 257 Roy in the very near future. Based on what I've read I'm a bit hesitant to load 115 Ballistic Tips as there's a real chance my shot will be well within 100 yards. I have to admit your experiences with the 100 grain has me rethinking the 115...

« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2018, 07:52:34 AM »
Shot a nice 8-point buck with my 257 Weatherby and 110 grain accubond. It was a front on shot a little to the right and I hit him in the left shoulder at 100 yds. The bullet blew up and left a grapefruit-sized crater in his shoulder. I think I am done with the accubond my son has had the same problem. Anybody see a problem with my setup or anybody had a problem similar???
Light bullet @ high velocity @ short range = large wound.  Who would expect anything different?

Its also been my experience that high velocity bullets that hit bones also result in large wound channels.

The first elk that I shot with my [then] new .300 Weatherby was a bull that I shot just behind his front shoulder.  He was standing broadside about 100 yards away.  The 168 grain TSX bullet made a .30 caliber entrance hole, shredded the lungs, and left a 1" exit hole behind his off shoulder.

The next elk that I shot with that rifle was another bull that was standing quartering to me, also about 100 yards away.  Even though I knew better, I put a 168 grain TTSX bullet in the center of his shoulder.  The bullet shattered the top of his upper front leg bone, bloodshot about half of his shoulder meat, then shredded the top half of one lung, passed through his stomach, and lodged in his off side ham.

Both of those bullets had a muzzle velocity of about 3250 fps, and were shot at about the same range.  Both bulls died within a few yards of where they were shot.  There was almost no meat loss on the first bull, but almost half of one shoulder was lost on the second bull.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2018, 08:47:17 AM by buffybr »
NRA Endowment Life Member

224KING

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2018, 09:07:36 AM »
The humane killing of a bullet should be the 1st thing considered.Losing some meat to a quick kill should be maybe your 10th consideration.
Sorry... Yesterday was the last and final day for any and all complaints whatsoever.

I try to avoid temptation unless I can't resist it.

Everyone has a photographic memory.Some just don't have film.

« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2018, 10:16:00 AM »
The humane killing of a bullet should be the 1st thing considered.Losing some meat to a quick kill should be maybe your 10th consideration.

+1. If you are not hunting for subsistence then try to avoid taking a shot that you're unsure of. It's a hard thing to do sometimes so I'll just leave it at that.
Steve
Lifetime NRA Member
Retired in the Nevada high desert and loving life.

« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2018, 05:22:52 AM »
Ok, ill try to re-explain. The bullet hit the shoulder and fragged. No huge wpund channel just a grapefruit sized hole about 2 in deep. Personally i dont care abput meat loss. Just me. If I'm looking for meat id shoot does. As I said before one peice of the bullet traveled down outside of ribcage into back leg. After trailing for atleast 800yds I had to shoot again 2x in its bed. And YES I definitely would pass on a frontal shot if I could do it again

« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2018, 07:25:49 AM »
Like wise, I'm having troubles with 123 sst's and going to quit using them in my swede. They grenade at 100yds. Shot a whitetail and it looked like there was a cherry bomb implanted . Shot mid lungs and what a stink it got back to the guts when it blew up. Are interbonds any better?

« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2018, 08:15:39 AM »
Ive heard they are supposed to hold together. Same design I think. I'm going to barnes ttsx or partitions in my 257 and 7mm wby