Spike Camp

How far off is your 1st shot from a cold barrel?

How far off is your 1st shot from a cold barrel?
« on: November 19, 2018, 04:34:03 PM »
Say you go out and get a perfect 3 shot group from a slightly warm but definitely not hot barrel.  How far off from that would you expect your first shot to be from a completely cold barrel?

Re: How far off is your 1st shot from a cold barrel?
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2018, 04:41:59 PM »
Say you go out and get a perfect 3 shot group from a slightly warm but definitely not hot barrel.  How far off from that would you expect your first shot to be from a completely cold barrel?

Every rifle is different but so far I'm not seeing enough difference to worry about. I do see a difference if I de-copper and de-carbon the barrel. Weatherby's seem to like a little fouling.
Steve
Lifetime NRA Member
Retired in the Nevada high desert and loving life.

eford

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2018, 05:21:48 PM »
Cold and clean is usually not as close to the aim point as cold and fouled. Iíll define fouled as the scopeís zero was confirmed by two or three shots where they need to be and I leave the barrel ďas isĒ when I go hunting after that. If I know there is going to be drizzle or snow when Iím hunting Iíll dry punch the barrel and still be confident the first aimed shot will be where I want it, cold barrel and all.
Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, she walks into mine.

Every man needs to know his limits.

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2018, 06:20:30 PM »
Eford is right on the money.  What I do if it's going to rain or snow is put a piece of black electrical tape over the muzzle to keep the rain and snow out.  It doesn't have any affect on the accuracy or point of impact.
Nothing is better than a Weatherby, big bore magnum, or a Colt.

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2018, 06:58:21 PM »
Cold and clean is usually not as close to the aim point as cold and fouled. Iíll define fouled as the scopeís zero was confirmed by two or three shots where they need to be and I leave the barrel ďas isĒ when I go hunting after that. If I know there is going to be drizzle or snow when Iím hunting Iíll dry punch the barrel and still be confident the first aimed shot will be where I want it, cold barrel and all.

Thanks.  I'm thinking primarily cold and fouled.  No cleaning between range and hunting.  I've always been very close in the past, at least the animals haven't noticed a difference  ;D,  just wondering what other's experiences are and how far a cold barrel shot can stray from a warm barrel group.

224KING

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2018, 05:50:02 AM »
Once I check zero,I don't clean until after season is over.
Sorry... Yesterday was the last and final day for any and all complaints whatsoever.

I try to avoid temptation unless I can't resist it.

Everyone has a photographic memory.Some just don't have film.

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2018, 06:02:24 AM »
+1
Roger
Faster horses,younger women,older whiskey,and more money.

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2018, 07:18:19 PM »
+2

Rob
cfp-223REM
accumark-223Rem
ultralite-240 Wby
synthetic-240 Wby
synthetic-257 Wby
ultralite-270 Wby
fibermark-270 Wby
accumark-270 Wby
accumark-7mm Wby
stainless-300 Wby
fibermark-300Wby
accumark-30378 Wby
fibermark-340 Wby
accumark-338378 Wby
custom-375 Wby
DGR-378 Wby
DGR-416 Wby
custom DGR-460 Wby

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2018, 12:22:32 PM »
I noticed about 2Ē right at 100 yards with my Vanguard .375H&H. I will hunt with a fouled bore and as someone else said, put tape over the muzzle if I expect rain or snow.