Spike Camp

Vanguard h-bar rc help

Vanguard h-bar rc help
« on: November 22, 2018, 05:27:09 AM »
Happy Thanksgiving to all!

I am thankful for family first of all of course. I am also thankful for my 3 Weatherby rfiles.

I purchased my first Weatherby Vangyard in 2010 in .243 and after installing a Tunney trigger it shoots fantastic. I purchased a S2 .223 carbine the following year and live it. This year I purchased the Accuguard in .270 and love it.

I keep my little 20” .223 handy in my deer blind for shooting coyotes in South Texas. I am considering upgrading to a new Vanguard h-bar rc with the free floated heavy barrel and bell and Carlson stock.

I know it weighs 8.5 pounds but since I don’t carry it much I am not overly concerned with weight. With a great barrel, stick and trigger I should not have to make any upgrades.

What are your opinions if the h-bar rc?

I can purchase this gun in 22” without threads for $799 or the latest version with 20” barrel and threads for $950.

I do not plan to add a suppressor so I do not think I need threads.

My only concern is the extra 2” of length and additional .25 lbs.

Which would you choose?

Thx!

Re: Vanguard h-bar rc help
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2018, 06:46:18 AM »
I apologize for the typos. My iPhone still thinks it knows how to spell.

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2018, 07:16:14 AM »
The 22inch would be my choice if you do not plan on a suppressor.
Roger
Faster horses,younger women,older whiskey,and more money.

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2018, 07:24:36 AM »
Thanks!

sschefer

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2018, 09:35:24 AM »
Get it with the threaded barrel and the muzzle brake. You can take it off and put the thread protector on for hunting. FYI, the reason I do that is because the brakes with holes all around will blow dust and dirt everywhere if you shoot from the prone position. If you're on the range, it can reduce recoil that will help in avoiding developing a flinch.

The HBAR-RC is heavy and when you top it with good optics and mounts, a full mag and maybe a bipod, you can easily be at 12lbs or more. I chose the Bergara B14 HMR which is very similar and with all the dressing, it is heavy. I would not want to carry it on my back all day long.

If you plan to shoot it out of a blind or off a bench, then yes, it's a great choice. If you plan to carry it on your shoulder then no, go with a Select and put a B&C stock on it. They all shoot sub moa so the only real gain you get with the H-Bar is a barrel that you can shoot longer between cool downs. Yes they are free floated but I'm finding that it's not a huge advantage and that a Select in a great stock with a tension point will shoot just as well.

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2018, 09:42:20 AM »
Thanks! I have thought about keeping my little vanguard carbine and putting a bell and Carlson stock on it. My concern would does the bell and Carlson out any pressure in that #1 contour barrel? I have read that the smaller barrels don’t shoot as well if free floated. U guess I could call bell and Carlson and ask them.

DW5

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2018, 09:54:29 AM »
It the options on the newer one that are not available on the older one do not really matter to YOU, and form what you’ve said, and based on your needs, they do not seem too.... I’d go with the older one. Save a couple of hundred dollars and with the 2” longer barrel length, it would probably serve your coyote purposes a tad better.
You cant catch a fish without a hook in the water....

sschefer

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2018, 09:56:09 AM »
Thanks! I have thought about keeping my little vanguard carbine and putting a bell and Carlson stock on it. My concern would does the bell and Carlson out any pressure in that #1 contour barrel? I have read that the smaller barrels don’t shoot as well if free floated. U guess I could call bell and Carlson and ask them.

I would definitely call them before you buy. They may be able to offer you a plug n play stock that will make the swap much easier. I do stock bedding all the time so I sometimes loose sight of how intimidating my first one was.

DW5

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2018, 12:36:19 PM »

I would definitely call them before you buy. They may be able to offer you a plug n play stock that will make the swap much easier. I do stock bedding all the time so I sometimes loose sight of how intimidating my first one was.

Shhh! Never let common sense thinking get in the way of just getting a brand new rifle!
You cant catch a fish without a hook in the water....

sschefer

« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2018, 12:56:45 PM »

Shhh! Never let common sense thinking get in the way of just getting a brand new rifle!
Sorry, my bad.... LOL