Spike Camp

case prep center

case prep center
« on: November 25, 2018, 08:12:35 AM »
I been wanting to buy a case prep center, to speed up case prep work. We go though a lot of 223 ammo here, it seems I'm always prepping 223 cases, as well as the other calibers. I been looking at the RCBS and the Hornady. Does anyone have either one, and if so how do you like it? I leaning towards the RCBS one, because it's spring loaded power assist, and a micro adjust knob. But the Hornady is cheaper and you get 500 free bullets with it  ::)  ::)

Rob

Re: case prep center
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2018, 08:58:58 AM »
Rob: I have the RCBS and couldn't be happier. I have not tried the Hornady so I can't comment on it.
Roger
Faster horses,younger women,older whiskey,and more money.

sschefer

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2018, 08:59:12 AM »
I been wanting to buy a case prep center, to speed up case prep work. We go though a lot of 223 ammo here, it seems I'm always prepping 223 cases, as well as the other calibers. I been looking at the RCBS and the Hornady. Does anyone have either one, and if so how do you like it? I leaning towards the RCBS one, because it's spring loaded power assist, and a micro adjust knob. But the Hornady is cheaper and you get 500 free bullets with it  ::)  ::)

Rob

I tried the Hornady and the gears inside destroyed themselves in short order. I bit the bullet so to speak and bought the Frankford Arsenal. Definitely much better quality and does everything I need it to do including case trimming. I haven't used the trimmer yet, I still use my Hornady trimmer but I've got a boat load of .223/5.56 to do so I will soon.

dubyam

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2018, 12:59:11 PM »
I have the original style RCBS (http://rcbs.com/Products/Case-Preparation/Case-Trimming/Trim-Mate-Case-Prep-Center-120-VAC.aspx) and absolutely love it. It has been the single biggest time saver for me for loading ammo. Best accessory I ever purchased.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2018, 01:00:55 PM by dubyam »
I believe this is a practical world, and in it I can count only on what I can earn.  Therefore I believe in work, hard work. - The Auburn Creed
The older I get, the less stock I place in what men say, and the more I place in what men do. - Andrew Carnegie

BB340

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2018, 02:35:58 PM »
Yep another vote for the RCBS one here. I have had the same one as dubyam. I don't even remember when I bought it it was that many years ago. It has performed flawlessly ever since.
Aussie gun nut.

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2018, 04:33:48 PM »
Thanks guys, I was leaning towards the RCBS. I've seen some reviews on the Hornady stripping gears out. I have a old Lyman power trimmer now, but it's wore right out, and doing case prep with a hand trimmer just ain't going to cut it  :o

Rob

sschefer

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2018, 06:08:35 PM »
Thanks guys, I was leaning towards the RCBS. I've seen some reviews on the Hornady stripping gears out. I have a old Lyman power trimmer now, but it's wore right out, and doing case prep with a hand trimmer just ain't going to cut it  :o

Rob

I just finished 200 .223 cases using the Frankford Arsenal Case Prep Station with the power trimmer. This was my first time using the trimmer just because I was stubborn. Well let me tell you, it quickly made me realize that I had I wasted a lot of time in the past with no better results. The FA was fast and easy to set up and I can do a trim, inside and outside ream and primer pocket cleaning in less than 10 seconds. I checked every 5 in the first 100 and they were dead on the money at 1.750.

I started buying Frankford stuff after getting one of their rotary tumblers with the stainless pins and soap. Nothing gets the gunk off better. I run the cases after depriming and then lube, resize, trim and prep then they go back in. I got tired of waiting for the cases to dry so I bought their case dryer and then I wanted my cases to be diamond shiny so after the second cleaning and drying they go into their vibratory cleaner and then I seat primers with one of their hand primers.

Oh, yes, I do have a Dillon 650 and I use that for the battle rattle guns (AR's) and my hand gun loading.  Otherwise, I'm stuck on my tried and true RCBS Rock Chucker. It always works and slows me down so I can be as precise as I want. I also use a Hornady electronic powder measure. That takes a while to learn but once you do it's pretty easy to setup and when adjusted according to the powder type it pours with a reasonable amount of consistency. If it's off, it lets you know and you can dump it and pour another.

If it sounds like I'm trying to sell you on the Frankford stuff it's because I am. I haven't bought anything from them that has let me down. Pretty rare in my book because I'm one picky SOB.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2018, 06:11:38 PM by sschefer »

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2018, 09:20:29 PM »
I'll have  a look at the frankford arsenal one, and if I can find it in Canuckastan.  Thanks

Rob

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2018, 07:17:07 PM »
I see that Cabela's has them in stock.
Any man who would compromise his freedom in pursuit of safety deserves neither freedom or safety...BF

224KING

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2018, 07:53:44 PM »
Never knew something like this existed.Cool machine!
Retirement; The art of doing very little,very slowly

Expert; Someone who knows so much about so little

If you live in the swirl of the drain,inevitably you'll wind up in the cesspool.

Remember 10534

Sorry... Yesterday was the last and final day for any and all complaints whatsoever.

« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2018, 08:38:54 PM »
I see that Cabela's has them in stock.

Thanks CR, I have to go into Edmonton later this week, I'll see if they have them in stock, so I can have a look on them.

Rob

« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2018, 06:09:30 PM »
All of my equipment is RCBS and haven't had any issues with any of it and because of that that's the only brand I'll buy.  I have no doubt that there case prep center is top notch and will live up to your expectations.  As long as you don't abuse stuff it'll last but let's face it there's some guys out there what could break an anvil in no time flat so there'll always be someone who said it's junk, it broke, and or bad mouth it.
Nothing is better than a Weatherby, big bore magnum, or a Colt.

ak7an

« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2018, 07:20:50 PM »
Just bought to Lyman case prep center. It comes with all the accesories you need without having to purchase them.. Set it up and prepped a bunch of Nickel 270 Win brass. Made that chore a breeze.. Sure is easier than working them by hand..
Take care
Ed

« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2018, 08:40:24 PM »
All of my equipment is RCBS and haven't had any issues with any of it and because of that that's the only brand I'll buy.  I have no doubt that there case prep center is top notch and will live up to your expectations.  As long as you don't abuse stuff it'll last but let's face it there's some guys out there what could break an anvil in no time flat so there'll always be someone who said it's junk, it broke, and or bad mouth it.

I know what you mean chris, I had many of those kind of people work for me over the years. RCBS has bee good for me also over the years, that another reason I'm leaning towards them, but I do want to check that frankford arsenal one out .

Rob