Spike Camp

First time shooting a .378 Weatherby

Re: First time shooting a .378 Weatherby
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2018, 08:07:33 PM »
Very Nice Roger.
I would like to shoot one just to say I did. But with the break. I have heard without is just like BB said Just plain brutal to shoot.
And I will take the author at his word. ;D
Mark

« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2018, 09:13:17 PM »
I find the recoil of the unbraked 378 fast and sharp, it will get your attention.  :o

Rob

That kiss only hurts for a short time.   8)

hahaha that is true  8)

Rob

sschefer

« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2018, 08:57:43 AM »
It is an Euromark as Derrill said.I forgot to mention it has a extended magazine from the factory that holds 1 extra round.
Mike: He had the Sightron on a .17 HMR. Lol. Bought it on closeout a year or 2 ago at a great discount. After he won the auction he was trying to decide on what scope he had that might withstand the .378 and called and talked to the engineers there and they assured him it would (for what that is worth)  and said to send it back if it didn't.I found him a really nice Nightforce that would have been perfect for it in Carters Country while we were shopping and buying the ammo.All I got back was an Ugly Look. ;D
The ammo came out right at $8.00 per pop so we didn't shoot it all.He's ordering dies and brass.
Oh yeah, he has already texted me a pict of a Deluxe in .378 he found.Has a factory ported barre though and I am not sure how muck recoil reduction I would get out of that?

It's on GunBroker and from a reputable seller. You might go look at it there and then send a question to the seller about it if you want. There's also what might be a German Custom selling for around 6500.00 and what might be an Accumark for around 1400.00. That Accumark price seemed a little low so I would probably not go near it without some throat and lands pictures from a bore scope. In fact, I probably wouldn't buy without that on any rifle I didn't have money budgeted for a rebarrel.

The bottom line with buying on line is that you really need to do your due diligence or you can quickly end up with something that cost's more to fix than it's worth. I made that mistake but luckily I was able to fix it. I didn't save a dime in the end but I have a great rifle now. All I'm saying is just because someone else got a great rifle online, doesn't mean you will too so be careful.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2018, 09:01:48 AM by sschefer »

musicman

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2018, 10:58:13 AM »
I shot a fellow's .378 custom built "Mountain Rifle" perhaps three shots.  It was a lightweight rifle.  To say that the recoil was vicious, is almost an understatement.  I could shoot my .375 Weatherby, that WAS braked and had a really good recoil pad, about ten to twelve shots before my eyes started to get wonky, but two or three out of that lightweight .378 had me blurred.  By contrast, I could shoot my factory .416 Ruger, numerous times in an afternoon, and have no problems.  MM

« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2018, 12:34:15 PM »
Roger: the ported barrel helps a lot it keeps the barrel jump way down which lessons the felt recoil. On a side note you want at least 4 in. of eye relief with out a brake, a scope hit in skull from a 378 would be more than a little cut. One reason I got rid of mine was worrying about this when shooting prone in an awkward position.
John

PARA45

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2018, 02:51:38 PM »
Beautiful rifle, I like those Euromarks.
Senator John Kennedy  " If you support defunding the police, you've tested positive for stupid".

Eric

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2018, 06:49:54 PM »
That is a sharp looking rifle euromarks are one of the nicest

danno50

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2018, 07:50:45 PM »
Another +1 on finding your friend a great looking Euromark Roger. About the rifle he found for you, is there any way to post a picture of that rifle? Personally I'm not a fan of ported rifle barrels. (porting works great on pistols) I don't believe that porting on rifles reduces recoil as much as a muzzle brake, but porting does help with muzzle rise or jump, same as brakes. The noise factor is probably about the same. I'd vote muzzle brake for a 378 Wby.
DosEquisShooter

224KING

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2018, 07:55:04 PM »
Definitely muzzle brake on a 378
Retirement; The art of doing very little,very slowly

Expert; Someone who knows so much about so little

If you live in the swirl of the drain,inevitably you'll wind up in the cesspool.

Remember 10534

Sorry... Yesterday was the last and final day for any and all complaints whatsoever.

« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2018, 08:17:16 PM »
I've had 5 ported rifles and 5 with brakes and the brakes are way louder except for the Vios brake, but I agree on the 378 the brake is the way to go.
John

« Reply #25 on: November 26, 2018, 08:51:52 PM »
I am not very worried about a 378 Wby barrel being shot out.LOL
The seller said it was a factory ported by Weatherby. I talked to the Custom shop today and they said they did do them a longgg time ago.They said it does make a difference but. I told them enuff said and thanked them.Super nice guys.
Roger
Faster horses,younger women,older whiskey,and more money.

« Reply #26 on: November 26, 2018, 08:55:52 PM »
Hey roger that is a pendleton de kicker. the de kicker is what was used on 460,s until the accubreak came along.
Good Hunting And Shooting To all
Derrill

« Reply #27 on: November 26, 2018, 09:04:42 PM »
Thanks for the info Derrill.
Roger
Faster horses,younger women,older whiskey,and more money.

« Reply #28 on: November 26, 2018, 09:19:32 PM »
I had a 460 with that on it and had the gunsmith cut it off and he put a gentry quiet brake on it. The actual break portion of the barrel is bored out and crowned so i rely didn,t lose any barrel length. It left three holes on each side of the barrel but didn,t notice any problems. That 460 was so scary accurate and very mild recoil with the quiet break.
Good Hunting And Shooting To all
Derrill

PARA45

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 27, 2018, 06:00:00 AM »
Derrill, your a wealth of knowledge.  Thanks!!!!!
Senator John Kennedy  " If you support defunding the police, you've tested positive for stupid".