Spike Camp

My Brother's Accumark in .338 Lapua update

My Brother's Accumark in .338 Lapua update
« on: November 26, 2018, 06:16:42 PM »
My Brother decided to get a Leupold Vari-3Xi 4.5x14 with the BDC dial to mount on his rifle and mounted it with Talley rings and bases he bought through Weatherby.  Yesterday I went with him to sight it in and to say he's extremely happy with it is a total understatement.  When his girlfriend bought it for him the salesman gave her a box of Hornady 285 grain Match Hollow Points and we used them to break the rifle in.  The accuracy with them was around half inch groups and then we finished sighting it in with the bullets he's going to hunt with, which are Hornady's Custom Ammunition with the 250 grain Spire Points.  The Spire Point's accuracy was even better, both of us were constantly getting three shot groups that were touching, can't beat that in my book.  The one thing that I noticed is the match bullets left a lot more fouling in the barrel opposed to the Spire Points.  While we were breaking the rifle in we would clean it after each shot and the patches from the match bullets came out completely black while the patches from the Spire Points were almost clean.  To confirm this we cleaned the rifle and fired a shot from one bullet then cleaned it and shot the other bullet and cleaned it.  We did this four times and shot each bullet first twice and each time the results were what I had mentioned. 

We both shot it with and without the break several times and with the break on the recoil is along the lines of a .270 Winchester in my opinion.  Now without the break she definitely gives you a good swift kick.  I didn't think it was extremely bad but my Brother he's had enough of shooting it without the break after six shots and decided he wanted to put the break on and leave it on.  I agree he made the right choice on that but I have to say I didn't let the opportunity to pass by to bust on him about it.  Over all the quality and craftsmanship of his rifle is exactly what I expect from Weatherby, top notch all the way.  As for the accuracy it's a tack driver with the Hornady 250 grain Spire Points and to make it even a bit better it's not a Range Certified model.  When I end up loading for it I'm going to stick with the Hornady 250 grain Spire Points since the factory version shoots so well.
Nothing is better than a Weatherby, big bore magnum, or a Colt.

Re: My Brother's Accumark in .338 Lapua update
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2018, 06:30:35 PM »
Sounds like he has a keeper. Tell him congratulations.
Roger
Faster horses,younger women,older whiskey,and more money.

musicman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2018, 07:10:45 AM »
I regret not picking up a .338 Lapua when I had the coins to do so.  MM

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2018, 07:22:00 AM »
I regret not picking up a .338 Lapua when I had the coins to do so.  MM

Me too
Chris Kiefner

NRA Life Member

dubyam

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2018, 01:46:21 PM »
Sounds great, Chris! You probably already know to do this, but before they've all been shot, grab one of those 250s and measure it for OAL and run it through a chronograph. That way, you'll have a good target for your handloads when you start into things.
I believe this is a practical world, and in it I can count only on what I can earn.  Therefore I believe in work, hard work. - The Auburn Creed
The older I get, the less stock I place in what men say, and the more I place in what men do. - Andrew Carnegie

badsection

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2018, 03:06:33 PM »
Great idea, Duby! I have a 338 Lapua and it shoots like Chris describes. Mine is purely a target rifle at 15 lbs with the scope. My Savage 112 likes the 250 gr. Norma HPBT ammo best , .5 moa! I WILL measure one! 

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2018, 06:09:27 PM »
Sounds great, Chris! You probably already know to do this, but before they've all been shot, grab one of those 250s and measure it for OAL and run it through a chronograph. That way, you'll have a good target for your handloads when you start into things.

I already set the seating die up with one of the factory loaded 250 grainers so it's exactly the same length.  I don't have a chronograph so I'm going to base my speed goal off of the velocity Hornady listed.  I know it's not exactly the same but it's a good starting point. 

The other thing is I'm surprised on how dirty the patches were from the Match ammo, I would've expected it to be the opposite.  Has anyone else had this happen with match ammo, specifically Hornady's?

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2018, 07:45:10 PM »

I do the exact same  thing when I find a factory load one of my rifles like's a lot.  8)

Rob

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2018, 09:10:53 PM »
I have only ever taken one shot with a 338 Lapua, I didn't know what to expect, and the dumb ass that said I should try his rifle never even suggested ear plugs. I was standing along side a 3 high stack of round bales and when I shot that thing it deafened me and I flinched so bad shooting anything else afterwards i couldn't hit anything for a long time. I've learned a bit since then but that was quite the lesson.
I can't tame wild women
But I can make tame women wild

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2018, 07:40:11 PM »
You DEFINITELY don't want to shoot a rifle with a break on it, especially something that's a "big" caliber without ear plugs in.  I learned that the hard way when I christened my .338-378 Accumark on a black bear without them.  It felt like I had a knife jammed in my ear for a week and everything was very muffled, kind of like when you hear something when your head is under water, and I thought I ruptured my ear drum.  Thankfully the pain went away and I got my hearing back, it's definitely not 100% of what it was before that but I got really lucky.  Since then I wear at least one ear plug and when I do it's when I'm hunting and it's in my non-shooting side. 

musicman

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2018, 06:44:37 PM »
I used plugs AND muffs with those big boys.  I even used electronic muffs while hunting.  I had to save what little hearing I had left.  MM

sschefer

« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2018, 09:07:22 PM »
You guy's know they sell hunting hearing aids now. They shut off above 90 db but also amplify so you can hear everything around you. You can buy them in sporting goods stores but some say it's better to get them fitted. I've still got a bag of foam plugs to go through and then I may get them.

« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2018, 08:40:20 AM »
I saw them and am somewhat leery of them not screwing up and instead of shutting off staying on.  I know the odds are against that happening but anything is possible especially with my luck with electronic stuff.  The nice things about the foam ear plugs is they're a lot cheaper and always work. 

sschefer

« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2018, 10:58:03 AM »
I saw them and am somewhat leery of them not screwing up and instead of shutting off staying on.  I know the odds are against that happening but anything is possible especially with my luck with electronic stuff.  The nice things about the foam ear plugs is they're a lot cheaper and always work.

My shooting buddy has a set he got off the shelf at Cabelas. I have noticed him putting on his muffs when he shoots his .500. I went with the electronic muffs which are great with the handguns but not so good when I try to get a good cheek weld on a rifle.

« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2018, 06:12:37 PM »
I had a lapua.....shot $5 bills. Sold it becaise thats to rich for me and bought some weatherbys .....you guessed it, they shoot $5 bills lol