Spike Camp

Weatherby vanguard wilderness 308 win black monte carlo spider web stock

coryl2

I recently purchased this rifle used. The gun has the black monte carlo spider web stock on it. Both of the sling studs are break in to composite. The guy swear it wasn't dropped. I call weatherby today and they want 400 for a new stock of the exact match which i really like. Anyone have suggestion on if it can be fixed properly or should i just buy the stock weatherby sell on their web site that's just a plain black composite stock for like 139 bucks.

Re: Weatherby vanguard wilderness 308 win black monte carlo spider web stock
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2018, 04:47:50 PM »
Before dropping $400 on another Weatherby stock which is a Bell & Carlson I'd invest another $100 and get a McMillan stock. It's a MUCH better stock than a Bell & Carlson and in the rare event you should have any issues McMillan stands behind their product.

I think you'd be real disappointed dropping a Wilderness into the standard factory tupperware stock
« Last Edit: November 27, 2018, 04:49:30 PM by Ghostman »

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2018, 06:17:13 PM »
With both sling stubs broke l would definitely get a new stock
Which one is all up to you and what you like

sschefer

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2018, 08:53:52 PM »
If you feel up to it, you can use a left handed drill to remove the broken studs and then just replace them. With the left hand drill in your drill motor and it in reverse it should grab the screw and back it out. Doesn't always work but it's worth a try. I would not waste time with an easy out, it will probably just break off and then you have hardened steel to deal with.

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2018, 05:39:32 PM »
I have two Vanguard Griptonite stocks that I replaced the factory sling studs with the Uncle Mikes style flush sling swivels.  Both the front and rear swivel sites had to be drilled out 1/2" diameter, and I reinforced the inside of the stock with epoxy.

I did the same thing on other plast

In the case of the OP's stock, the broken sling studs can be removed, then reinforce the inside of the stock with epoxy and screw in new sling studs.
NRA Endowment Life Member

sschefer

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2018, 08:48:00 PM »
I recently purchased this rifle used. The gun has the black monte carlo spider web stock on it. Both of the sling studs are break in to composite. The guy swear it wasn't dropped. I call weatherby today and they want 400 for a new stock of the exact match which i really like. Anyone have suggestion on if it can be fixed properly or should i just buy the stock weatherby sell on their web site that's just a plain black composite stock for like 139 bucks.

If for some reason you can't fix it, don't waste your time with the Weatherby stock you're looking at. Get the Hogue Fully Bedded over molded stock or the Boyd's At-One. About 100.00 more but not 400.00.

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2018, 07:45:07 PM »
If you do decide on a Mcmillan be prepared for a ridiculous long wait. I waited over 6 mos for a stock they promised in 3 mos. Its a great stock, but give me a break. Manners is supposed to be great also. I will use them next time. I needed the gun for an Elk hunt and it was done 1 week before I was set to leave

sschefer

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2018, 10:12:31 AM »
If you do decide on a Mcmillan be prepared for a ridiculous long wait. I waited over 6 mos for a stock they promised in 3 mos. Its a great stock, but give me a break. Manners is supposed to be great also. I will use them next time. I needed the gun for an Elk hunt and it was done 1 week before I was set to leave

McMillan still makes a great stock but you're right, you might have a long wait. Personally, it might make sense to put one on a Mark V but not on a Vanguard. Heck you might be able to buy a complete new rifle for the price of what you pay for a McMillan stock.

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2018, 02:04:35 PM »
Right on, I wpuld put a B&C on it. I have either had or have had on 5 rifles. I wouldnt hesitate for a second

sschefer

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2018, 09:50:43 PM »
I think he was a one hit wonder..