Spike Camp

Altitude or Accumark? 6.5cm or 6.5-300wm?

strix24

Altitude or Accumark? 6.5cm or 6.5-300wm?
« on: November 28, 2018, 06:14:51 PM »
Hey Folks,

New to the forum, getting my first Weatherby this winter. Avid big game hunter in western Montana, and I also hunt in Idaho every year. Good shot, military trained, lots of range time; I would like to be comfortable with my rig shooting big game 500-600yds.

I'm down to the Altitude or Accumark. I hunt a lot of big backcountry, and I like the compact size and light weight of the Altitude, but it's not a big enough deal that I would compromise accuracy or ballistics if the Accumark is significantly better. Can anyone speak to these differences?

Finally, I have been planning on 6.5 Creedmoor, but a colleague was talking up the 6.5-300 Weatherby Magnum round for its velocity. I don't like the huge jump in weight and length for that round, however.

All advice much appreciated!

Strix24

sschefer

Re: Altitude or Accumark? 6.5cm or 6.5-300wm?
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2018, 06:29:14 PM »
Hey Folks,

New to the forum, getting my first Weatherby this winter. Avid big game hunter in western Montana, and I also hunt in Idaho every year. Good shot, military trained, lots of range time; I would like to be comfortable with my rig shooting big game 500-600yds.

I'm down to the Altitude or Accumark. I hunt a lot of big backcountry, and I like the compact size and light weight of the Altitude, but it's not a big enough deal that I would compromise accuracy or ballistics if the Accumark is significantly better. Can anyone speak to these differences?

Finally, I have been planning on 6.5 Creedmoor, but a colleague was talking up the 6.5-300 Weatherby Magnum round for its velocity. I don't like the huge jump in weight and length for that round, however.

All advice much appreciated!

Strix24

I have both calibers. My 6.5 CM is a Bergara and my 6.5-300 is a Wby Mark V Deluxe. I think I would be more confident hunting large game with the 6.5-300. The thing hit's like a freight train. The 6.5 CM is a necked down .308 so if you feel a .308 is all you need then a 6.5 CM would probably do the job too.

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2018, 07:00:38 PM »
All Weatherby rifles have sub-MOA  guarantee

500-600 yards on big game, western states that includes elk, IMO the 6.5-300 is the only choice of the two you mentioned, and it is questionable at that range

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2018, 12:44:49 PM »
If your planning to shoot at 500-600 yards for deer and elk the 6.5-300 is your only choice of those 2. And I would suggest a 300 Bee if your talking mainly elk hunting. I have an ULW in 6.5-300 and appreciate the weight savings compared to my Arroyo, the barrel does heat up fast. If you plan on punching a lot of paper, the 6.5 Creedmoor in an Accumark would be a better choice. Otherwise get an Altitude in 6.5-300
Doug

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2018, 01:12:59 PM »
Myself I would concentrate on getting closer to the game you are hunting. Probably in the minority here but would reserve sniping for the battleground.

strix24

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2018, 08:56:30 PM »
Thanks all, I appreciate the replies. I don’t disagree at all on closing the distance. I shoot elk and/or deer every year and fully support as close a stalk as possible. I’ve never shot at an animal beyond 250yds, but largely due to a lack of confidence in low-mid level rifle and optics.

I don’t know if I’d ever take a shot beyond 400yds or so, but if the conditions are right and I feel good and ethical at a range like that, I need to be confident in my gear, hence the upgrade to a Weatherby.

I’ve noted all of your replies, and I will use it in making my decision. Thanks!

sschefer

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2018, 09:01:43 PM »
Thanks all, I appreciate the replies. I don’t disagree at all on closing the distance. I shoot elk and/or deer every year and fully support as close a stalk as possible. I’ve never shot at an animal beyond 250yds, but largely due to a lack of confidence in low-mid level rifle and optics.

I don’t know if I’d ever take a shot beyond 400yds or so, but if the conditions are right and I feel good and ethical at a range like that, I need to be confident in my gear, hence the upgrade to a Weatherby.

I’ve noted all of your replies, and I will use it in making my decision. Thanks!

I'm going to throw a curve at you and suggest you get the 300 Wby Mag and not the 6.5-300. If you want to build your confidence the 300 is one rifle that will do it. I have both and like both but after shooting the 6.5-300 I kind of get the feeling it was made just to one up Nosler and their hot 26. It does that but is it the best hunting rifle? I'm not getting that feeling from mine like I do with my 257 and my 300. It's a gut thing for me without a lot of fact to support it.