Spike Camp

Weatherby Vanguard in 270 Weatherby Magnum

Weatherby Vanguard in 270 Weatherby Magnum
« on: December 02, 2018, 01:06:25 PM »
Hello to all, this is my first post here.  I come to your mountain in search of knowledge!  :)

I just picked up a Weatherby Vanguard in 270 Weatherby Vanguard. From the information i have gathered at this point, it was manufactured somewhere from the Late 1980's to early 1990's.  The rifle is in transit to me at this point, so I do not physically have it in my hands yet, but soon. 

So my questions are:
How are the triggers on this model?  Are these triggers replaceable with a Timney?
Should I assume the 1 1/2" group accuracy with this rifle, with premium ammunition?
Anybody have one of these? Good? Bad?

Thanks

Rugerfan

Blackbear3

• In God We Trust!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Weatherby Vanguard in 270 Weatherby Magnum
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2018, 01:58:05 PM »
Welcome!!! I have 2 Vanguards, both in 257 Weatherby.  The S1 I replaced with a Timney, the other (accuguard) was fine. Both are easily MOA, so I would be surprised if yours couldn't do as well. Lots of 270 Bee fans here, so eventually they will probably chime in and tell you it's the best one to own. Anyways show us some pictures when it shows up and let us know how it shoots.
We stand for the Flag, and we kneel for the fallen!!!

Doug-NRA Life Member

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2018, 02:12:41 PM »
I have a Series 1 Vanguard VGX and I don't mind the trigger.  My .270 Weatherby Magnum is in a Mark V Euromark and it shoots the 130 grain Spire Points extremely well, normally it'll group three shots in a half an inch.  The first weight bullet I'd suggest you try is the 130 grain variety because the .270 was designed with a 130 grain bullet and in all the .270s, both Winchester and Weatherby Magnum, I've found they group the 130 grain bullets sub-MOA.  I would also give the Spire Points a try because they're cheaper and they will do the job very well on deer and black bears. 
Nothing is better than a Weatherby, big bore magnum, or a Colt.

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2018, 02:45:53 PM »
I thank you both for the information so far.  Once I recieve it I will post some pics. 

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2018, 05:34:39 AM »
I was unaware Weatherby chambered the 270 Wby Mag in a Vanguard at any point in time. I'm no expert but I've never seen one as described. My 270 Wby is a Mark V. It's a fantastic rifle and I've taken a 10 point whitetail a couple years back with mine.

Definitely post pics when you get it.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2018, 05:36:45 AM by JWDynamics »
JW

240 Wby Mag - Mauser 98 w/ ER Shaw Barrel 26"
257 Wby Mag - Vanguard Synthetic (Changed to walnut stock)
6.5-300 Wby Mag - Vanguard Synthetic Series II 26"
270 Wby Mag - Mark V Sporter
7mm Wby Mag - Mark V Sporter
300 Wby Mag - Vanguard Synthetic (Changed to walnut stock)

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2018, 06:20:33 AM »
I have a Series 1 Vanguard VGX and I don't mind the trigger.  My .270 Weatherby Magnum is in a Mark V Euromark and it shoots the 130 grain Spire Points extremely well, normally it'll group three shots in a half an inch.  The first weight bullet I'd suggest you try is the 130 grain variety because the .270 was designed with a 130 grain bullet and in all the .270s, both Winchester and Weatherby Magnum, I've found they group the 130 grain bullets sub-MOA.  I would also give the Spire Points a try because they're cheaper and they will do the job very well on deer and black bears.

+1 I would try the 130gr spire point load frist  8)

Rob
cfp-223REM
accumark-223Rem
ultralite-240 Wby
synthetic-240 Wby
synthetic-257 Wby
ultralite-270 Wby
fibermark-270 Wby
accumark-270 Wby
accumark-7mm Wby
stainless-300 Wby
fibermark-300Wby
accumark-30378 Wby
fibermark-340 Wby
accumark-338378 Wby
custom-375 Wby
DGR-378 Wby
DGR-416 Wby
custom DGR-460 Wby

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2018, 08:28:10 AM »
I, too recently acquired a Mark V Ultra Lightweight in .270 Roy.  Can't comment on .270 ammo ... yet.

As for accuracy, I have yet to encounter a single Weatherby -- Vanguard or Mark V -- that failed to shoot VERY well if I do my part.  I know you'll find posts of folks who've had issues with their rifles, and I'm truly sorry to hear that.  Maybe I'm just luckier than some, but all mine met the MOA performance Weatherby touts ... once I have the platform dialed in.  That said, as with any rifle, you also need to find the load your particular rifle likes.

One thing I'll advise on is planning on plenty of range time to allow for barrel cooling.  Roy's loads are like a good burger -- hot and juicy.  And if you handload to up the speed, that dials it up a notch or two.  Point being: Group sizes, flyers, stringing etc., increase as the barrel heats, and that happens a lot faster with a Weatherby.  My advice is a three-shot string and let her cool.

I do have a fair amount of experience with Wby. triggers.  As factory triggers go, the Series 1s aren't bad, but YMMV ... sometimes or even most times they're just awesome.  But, once in a while, you get one that's creepy, gritty, sloppy or any of the other Seven Dwarves of trigger problems.

Timney's IMO are really good and, yes, they make one for the Vanguard.  In fact, I just put a Timney on the Mark V referenced above.  Just super crisp ... no grit, creep, etc.

Now, that said, I don't know why but Weatherby no longer offers their Series 2 Vanguard 2-stage match triggers on their website, and that's a damn shame!!  I put several of those on various Vanguards I've owned because they are flat out one of the best triggers EVER -- I just love a two-stage trigger, and that Weatherby Vanguard aftermarket trigger was just lights out the best.

Anyway, thanks for coming up the mountain ... and welcome to the Nation!
Roy was a genius.  Period.

« Reply #7 on: Yesterday at 07:08:24 AM »
I, too recently acquired a Mark V Ultra Lightweight in .270 Roy.  Can't comment on .270 ammo ... yet.

As for accuracy, I have yet to encounter a single Weatherby -- Vanguard or Mark V -- that failed to shoot VERY well if I do my part.  I know you'll find posts of folks who've had issues with their rifles, and I'm truly sorry to hear that.  Maybe I'm just luckier than some, but all mine met the MOA performance Weatherby touts ... once I have the platform dialed in.  That said, as with any rifle, you also need to find the load your particular rifle likes.

One thing I'll advise on is planning on plenty of range time to allow for barrel cooling.  Roy's loads are like a good burger -- hot and juicy.  And if you handload to up the speed, that dials it up a notch or two.  Point being: Group sizes, flyers, stringing etc., increase as the barrel heats, and that happens a lot faster with a Weatherby.  My advice is a three-shot string and let her cool.

I do have a fair amount of experience with Wby. triggers.  As factory triggers go, the Series 1s aren't bad, but YMMV ... sometimes or even most times they're just awesome.  But, once in a while, you get one that's creepy, gritty, sloppy or any of the other Seven Dwarves of trigger problems.

Timney's IMO are really good and, yes, they make one for the Vanguard.  In fact, I just put a Timney on the Mark V referenced above.  Just super crisp ... no grit, creep, etc.

Now, that said, I don't know why but Weatherby no longer offers their Series 2 Vanguard 2-stage match triggers on their website, and that's a damn shame!!  I put several of those on various Vanguards I've owned because they are flat out one of the best triggers EVER -- I just love a two-stage trigger, and that Weatherby Vanguard aftermarket trigger was just lights out the best.

Anyway, thanks for coming up the mountain ... and welcome to the Nation!

Thank you. 

I would like to be posting pictures of my new rifle by now, but it appears our Postal Service is having troubles getting it to my city of residence.   With President Bush's passing and the starting the holiday shipping madness. I am trying to be patient.  Once I receive it, I will gladly post some photos.