Spike Camp

Weatherby Vanguard in 270 Weatherby Magnum

Re: Weatherby Vanguard in 270 Weatherby Magnum
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2018, 05:53:51 PM »
Thanks everybody, very much appreciate it. I am stoked, and can't wait to shoot it. I just discovered a little while ago, that the stock is bedded and the barrel is free floating. So hopefully this thing will be a shooter.

As far as the scope, I am looking at a few options, but I really like the Leupold VX3i 4.5 to 14.  I am considering a Burris or a Zeiss as well.  Decisions decisions. 

sschefer

« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2018, 06:48:54 PM »
Thanks everybody, very much appreciate it. I am stoked, and can't wait to shoot it. I just discovered a little while ago, that the stock is bedded and the barrel is free floating. So hopefully this thing will be a shooter.

As far as the scope, I am looking at a few options, but I really like the Leupold VX3i 4.5 to 14.  I am considering a Burris or a Zeiss as well.  Decisions decisions.

I have the VX3i on my McMillan G30 Dynasty 270 WSM. It's a great scope.

224KING

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2018, 07:23:34 AM »
The 25-06 I had years ago shot very good after being floated.
Sorry... Yesterday was the last and final day for any and all complaints whatsoever.

I try to avoid temptation unless I can't resist it.

Everyone has a photographic memory.Some just don't have film.

sschefer

« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2018, 07:44:06 AM »
The 25-06 I had years ago shot very good after being floated.

My .308 V2 with a #2 barrel shoots better when floated also. I put it in a Boyds At-One stock and added the tension point but after not being happy with the results at the range, I removed then tension point and it's back to driving tacks.

« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2018, 05:41:45 AM »
The new scope may have to wait until the holidays. Now I have just read about this bolt sleeve recall, so I guess I have to contact Weatherby to find out if the bolt has already been dealt with or not.  This rifle does not look like it has been shot very much, the riflings are sharp. For a 30 something year old rifle it is in good shape, there is some pitting started on the floor plate, some blueing wear on the barrel ( as if it was resting on something), and a few dents and small scratches in the stock.  I am still very very happy about my purchase.   

sschefer

« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2018, 07:09:58 AM »
The new scope may have to wait until the holidays. Now I have just read about this bolt sleeve recall, so I guess I have to contact Weatherby to find out if the bolt has already been dealt with or not.  This rifle does not look like it has been shot very much, the riflings are sharp. For a 30 something year old rifle it is in good shape, there is some pitting started on the floor plate, some blueing wear on the barrel ( as if it was resting on something), and a few dents and small scratches in the stock.  I am still very very happy about my purchase.

I believe that if you call Weatherby Consumer Services they can get you the answers your looking for concerning the bolt. As for the bluing, I have had great results with Birchwood Casey's bluing. It's cold bluing but if you follow the instructions on the bottle the results can be very good. For the dent's in the stock there are some woodworking tricks to raise them back up using steam that produce excellent results. The pitting can be mitigated by sanding it out with 2000 grit wet/dry sand paper and then re-bluing and polishing with a microfiber cloth it you don't have a buffer.

All of that takes time and often great patience so if those are not in your wheel house then just go shoot it and enjoy it as is.

224KING

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2018, 07:43:02 AM »
If it's a rifle that's going to be used I wouldn't do anything to the character of it.Just hunt it and add your own character to it.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2018, 09:43:32 AM by 224KING »
Sorry... Yesterday was the last and final day for any and all complaints whatsoever.

I try to avoid temptation unless I can't resist it.

Everyone has a photographic memory.Some just don't have film.

« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2018, 07:52:09 AM »
If it's a rifle that's going to be used I wouldn't do anything to the character of it.Just hunt it and add your on character to it.

I plan for this rifle to be used as a hunting rifle.  I am not planning on changing the character of the rifle at all. 

« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2019, 05:28:06 AM »
Great looking rifle!

That is definitely the first Vanguard I've ever seen chambered in 270 Wby Mag. Great find!
JW

240 Wby Mag - Mauser 98 w/ ER Shaw Barrel 26"
257 Wby Mag - Vanguard Synthetic (Changed to walnut stock)
6.5-300 Wby Mag - Vanguard Synthetic Series II 26"
270 Wby Mag - Mark V Sporter
7mm Wby Mag - Mark V Sporter
300 Wby Mag - Vanguard Synthetic (Changed to walnut stock)

danno50

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2019, 06:28:27 AM »
A little late, but, Welcome to the Nation. Its been almost a month since your last posting. I think I would want to see what kind of groups it shot with the original set up and then install the new scope to see what kind of improvement I might get with the new scope if any. Are you still trying to decide on the scope you want?
DosEquisShooter

BB340

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2019, 04:29:45 PM »
Congrats on what looks to be a great rifle and no doubt will see you toting it along on many hunts.
I do think that you may have to change your online name from Rugerfan4374 to something befitting your new rifle and this forum haha  ;) ;D
Aussie gun nut.

« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2019, 06:36:51 PM »
A little late, but, Welcome to the Nation. Its been almost a month since your last posting. I think I would want to see what kind of groups it shot with the original set up and then install the new scope to see what kind of improvement I might get with the new scope if any. Are you still trying to decide on the scope you want?

Thank you for the welcome.  I still have not decided on a scope as of yet.  I have not had a chance to get to the rifle range yet, I would like to see how it shoots.  I just got word from Weatherby today that the bolt upgrade has already been done, so no worries there. 

« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2019, 06:43:09 PM »
Great looking rifle!

That is definitely the first Vanguard I've ever seen chambered in 270 Wby Mag. Great find!

Thank you.  Finally snagged one!
I saw one sitting in the used rack of a gunshop about 25 years ago, I just didn't have the money for it then, and had always wished I could have bought it.  Have seen a couple of these appear online over the last 5 years or so, just seemed I could never land one. 

« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2019, 06:45:58 PM »
Congrats on what looks to be a great rifle and no doubt will see you toting it along on many hunts.
I do think that you may have to change your online name from Rugerfan4374 to something befitting your new rifle and this forum haha  ;) ;D

Thank you, I very much appreciate it.

Ha Ha, well same same on several different forums. Just trying to keep it simple.