Spike Camp

Am I expecting too much from Mark V Deluxe?

Am I expecting too much from Mark V Deluxe?
« on: December 02, 2018, 07:10:17 PM »
I recently bought a used 300 Wby Mark V Deluxe.  I authenticated the serial number and determined that since it begins with a H that it was made in Japan between 1972 - 1994.  The rifle is in mint condition and the previous owner told me that he shot less than one box of ammo through it otherwise it was in the safe for 25 years.

When I first started shooting the rifle I couldnt get any better than 2 three shot groups at 100 yards.  I realized that because of the #2 contour barrel (pencil thin) that the barrel was probably heating up and opening up the groups.

I bought a Chamber Chiller and went to the range tonight.  I put a temperature strip on the barrel and started shooting.  After three shots with Weatherby Select Plus 180gr Accubonds, the barrel had already heated up to +113F and the groups started to open up.  I ran the Chamber Chiller for a few minutes and got the barrel temp below 100F and started shooting 1 shot every 3 minutes (<100F).  The groups tightened up but I would get a flyer about every third shot.  I changed to the Hornady 200gr ELD-X ammo and started getting 1 groups with no flyers.  I shot multiple groups of ~1 and called it a night.

After all of this I am disappointed with the accuracy.  I am able to shoot less than groups with my long range rifles and I have shot ⅜ groups with my Sako A7 30-06 using factory ammo.  I am ready to sell the Deluxe and buy a new Terramark to see if it shoots any better.

Am I expecting too much out of this rifle?  Is it because its a 300 Wby, or because its an older rifle, or both?  Are the new builds more accurate?

Thanks!

224KING

• View Profile
Re: Am I expecting too much from Mark V Deluxe?
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2018, 07:18:20 PM »
If your barrel is 24 inches and pencil thin it's a #1 contour.I would try some other bullet weights.Sounds like it shoots pretty good if the 1st ammo you try shoots an inch.
Sorry... Yesterday was the last and final day for any and all complaints whatsoever.

I try to avoid temptation unless I can't resist it.

Everyone has a photographic memory.Some just don't have film.

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2018, 07:29:17 PM »
It actually has a 26 barrel.  It also has an Accubrake from the custom shop along with glass bedded lug, checkered knob, jeweled bolt and follower.

Thanks

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2018, 08:27:02 PM »
It's not even broken in yet. The Weatherby break in process is 10 rounds with a cleaning between each round then 30 rounds with a cleaning between each 3 round group. 3 rounds between cooling periods is pretty much the norm. You can go more but you'll shorten the life of the throat.

That said, if you're looking for a Bench Gun, there are many rifles better suited for that. The Weatherby Mark V is one of the finest hunting rifles there is and the 300 is a great hunting caliber. It's meant to put meat on the table and not meant to punch holes in paper or ding steel plates all day long.

I have two Mark V Deluxe 300 Wby Mags. One is broken in and shoots sub moa 3 round groups at 200 yards. The other is brand new and just being broken in. I just point it towards a target and don't care how well it shoots until the break in process is over.
Steve
Lifetime NRA Member
Retired in the Nevada high desert and loving life.

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2018, 03:24:27 AM »
After trying 2 factory loads you are getting 1" groups  consistently with a little barrel. What are you looking for?

What are your plans for this rifle, target shooting or hunting?
Mike

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2018, 05:32:43 AM »
It's not even broken in yet. The Weatherby break in process is 10 rounds with a cleaning between each round then 30 rounds with a cleaning between each 3 round group. 3 rounds between cooling periods is pretty much the norm. You can go more but you'll shorten the life of the throat.

That said, if you're looking for a Bench Gun, there are many rifles better suited for that. The Weatherby Mark V is one of the finest hunting rifles there is and the 300 is a great hunting caliber. It's meant to put meat on the table and not meant to punch holes in paper or ding steel plates all day long.

I have two Mark V Deluxe 300 Wby Mags. One is broken in and shoots sub moa 3 round groups at 200 yards. The other is brand new and just being broken in. I just point it towards a target and don't care how well it shoots until the break in process is over.

Well said. This ^ x2.
JW

240 Wby Mag - Mauser 98 w/ ER Shaw Barrel 26"
257 Wby Mag - Vanguard Synthetic (Changed to walnut stock)
6.5-300 Wby Mag - Vanguard Synthetic Series II 26"
270 Wby Mag - Mark V Sporter
7mm Wby Mag - Mark V Sporter
300 Wby Mag - Vanguard Synthetic (Changed to walnut stock)

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2018, 06:18:54 AM »
After trying 2 factory loads you are getting 1" groups  consistently with a little barrel. What are you looking for?

+1 on what mike posted, when the rifle was made, they had to shoot 1 1/2 moa,(most likely shot with the 180 spire point load), they was made for hunting.  Try some different ammo, if your not happy with 1" groups,  ::) and then you can see if it is sticky in your chamber also,(your other post) kill 2 birds with one stone.

Rob
cfp-223REM
accumark-223Rem
ultralite-240 Wby
synthetic-240 Wby
synthetic-257 Wby
ultralite-270 Wby
fibermark-270 Wby
accumark-270 Wby
accumark-7mm Wby
stainless-300 Wby
fibermark-300Wby
accumark-30378 Wby
fibermark-340 Wby
accumark-338378 Wby
custom-375 Wby
DGR-378 Wby
DGR-416 Wby
custom DGR-460 Wby

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2018, 06:47:28 AM »
I bought the 300 Wby for longer range shooting, otherwise my 30-06 will do fine out to 300 yards. The 300 Wby is too expensive and kicks too much to use it for anything but hunting. No punching holes in paper.

I want to shoot at least MOA so I can still have confidence in a shot at 600 yards if needed.

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2018, 06:47:56 AM »

+1 on what mike posted, when the rifle was made, they had to shoot 1 1/2 moa,(most likely shot with the 180 spire point load), they was made for hunting.  Try some different ammo, if your not happy with 1" groups,  ::) and then you
can see if it is sticky in your chamber also,(your other post) kill 2 birds with one stone.

Rob

It should be light barrel not little  ::)
Mike

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2018, 08:47:05 AM »
I bought the 300 Wby for longer range shooting, otherwise my 30-06 will do fine out to 300 yards. The 300 Wby is too expensive and kicks too much to use it for anything but hunting. No punching holes in paper.

I want to shoot at least MOA so I can still have confidence in a shot at 600 yards if needed.

I doubt you'll be getting 1/2 MOA on factory ammo. Many rifles are available in the 300 Wby Mag caliber and many make ammo for it. This means that Weatherby can't produce ammo with close tolerances but instead has to make them with the one size fits all concept. I feel that if you want to attempt to get to 1/2 MOA at 100 yards you're going to have to do some precision reloading.
Steve
Lifetime NRA Member
Retired in the Nevada high desert and loving life.

« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2018, 10:44:39 AM »
Thanks for all of the feedback.

It looks like I will probably have to start reloading for the 300 Wby.

I guess I got spoiled over the last few years by being able to buy a rifle off the shelf and shoot MOA with factory ammo (Hornady and HSM).

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2018, 11:22:26 AM »
What model rifle do  you have for long range shooting that shoots 1/4" groups with factory ammo?
Mike

« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2018, 11:28:53 AM »
Ruger Precision Rifle with Vortex Viper Gen II PST 5-25x50mm scope shooting Hornady 6.5 Creedmoor 147gr ELD-Match ammo.

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2018, 12:05:57 PM »
Ruger Precision Rifle with Vortex Viper Gen II PST 5-25x50mm scope shooting Hornady 6.5 Creedmoor 147gr ELD-Match ammo.

I have shot a couple of those rifles with that load. They do shoot well, nice set-up
Mike

« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2018, 06:41:09 PM »
Getting a rifle to shoot 1/2 in groups is a lot easier when you load your own ammo rather than using factory ammo which is for everyone's gun.  That being said some rifles are more finicky than others and can test your patients while trying to find what it likes the best but it's doable.  Give the rifle a fair chance and try some other loads and keep in mind it's a hunting rifle not a bench rest target rifle.
Nothing is better than a Weatherby, big bore magnum, or a Colt.