Spike Camp

Am I expecting too much from Mark V Deluxe?

Re: Am I expecting too much from Mark V Deluxe?
« Reply #30 on: December 22, 2018, 06:09:32 PM »
Maybe itís not fair to expect better than MOA from a 28 year old rifle but I do expect it from a modern new rifle. I can get less than Ĺ MOA all day long with my Sako A7 using factory ammo.

Shooting ELD-X and Berger tonight with Sako and didnít even have to change zero...

« Reply #31 on: December 22, 2018, 06:46:04 PM »
Sell it and buy you another Sako that shoots so great. ;D
Roger
Faster horses,younger women,older whiskey,and more money.

« Reply #32 on: December 22, 2018, 06:48:57 PM »
I would but they donít make a 300 Wby.

« Reply #33 on: December 22, 2018, 08:02:04 PM »
Exactly.You pays your money and you take your chances.I have a 1970s 300 Lazermark that shoots under 1/2 inch.There are no guarantees that any commercial gun will shoot that great.All Sakos won't do what yours does.Some do some don't.It is the nature of the beast.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2018, 08:26:29 PM by terminator »
Roger
Faster horses,younger women,older whiskey,and more money.

« Reply #34 on: December 22, 2018, 10:06:19 PM »
Exactly.You pays your money and you take your chances.I have a 1970s 300 Lazermark that shoots under 1/2 inch.There are no guarantees that any commercial gun will shoot that great.All Sakos won't do what yours does.Some do some don't.It is the nature of the beast.

+1  I like my sako's, they usually shoot well, but I had a few that wouldn't. The worst one, a 270 WSM, on it's best day would not shoot better than 2 MOA.  I have a feeling, this is one of these cases, that if the rifle won't shoot those useless burger bullets, it's no good.

Rob
cfp-223REM
accumark-223Rem
ultralite-240 Wby
synthetic-240 Wby
synthetic-257 Wby
ultralite-270 Wby
fibermark-270 Wby
accumark-270 Wby
accumark-7mm Wby
stainless-300 Wby
fibermark-300Wby
accumark-30378 Wby
fibermark-340 Wby
accumark-338378 Wby
custom-375 Wby
DGR-378 Wby
DGR-416 Wby
custom DGR-460 Wby

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 23, 2018, 05:46:32 AM »
I also had a couple of Sako rifles. Nice rifles, both were 1 1/4" group guns. One was a 270 win, other was a 338 win mag, matching, same rifle, scope, trigger pull.
I now have a couple Weatherby rifles, 257 and 340. Both will shoot .5 groups. But l don't own them for the small groups, l have them because they are better rifles!
So as others have said, if your not satisfied, than sell it and buy a Sako
Mike

dubyam

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 23, 2018, 07:01:41 AM »
If you're really concerned about shooting the rifle to 600, you shouldn't be shooting at 100 to test it and declaring an end because of groups at 1MOA. Why? Two primary reasons.

One, if the rifle is truly a 1MOA rifle, that's a 6" group at 600, and that will land one in the kill zone of every medium to large hooved game animal on the North American continent. All have bigger kill zones than 6".

Two, you may find that group size at 100 isn't yet "asleep" and at 200, you're shooting closer to 1.5" than 2". If you could get .75MOA, you'd be all set out to beyond 600 versus the size of the kill zone.

Now, since I don't know you nor your shooting history or recoil tolerance, I can only base my next comment on what I do know, that you've posted here. You get excellent results from your Ruger. That Ruger is chambered in a much lower recoiling round, and weighs in at somewhere between 12-15lbs, depending on your configuration, bipod, scope weight, etc. Even at 12lbs, that's 33% heavier than your 300Wby, which I'd be willing to bet is under 10lbs. Comparatively, your 300Wby is going to have four times the recoil. If you're not well-trained in shooting heavy recoiling rounds, you can be assured it isn't going to be as accurate as a rifle with 1/4 the recoil. Even your Sako 30-06 is going to run only about 60% of the recoil of the Weatherby (about 18-19lbs for the -06, and 32-33lbs for the 'bee) and be easier to shoot. It took me a good bit of work to get comfortable enough behind my 300Wby to become proficient at a level similar to my lighter recoiling rounds. It is no longer the heaviest recoiler in my safe, and I'm reasonably proficient with it (much to the chagrin of the local whitetail population).

Since you bought this rifle used, I'll also recommend a good cleaning with a proper copper solvent. I suggest BoreTech Eliminator. There are others you could use. Get it down to care metal, and reassemble using the torque specs from Weatherby (double check, but I think 45in-lbs for a wood stock) and the order of torquing.

If you're expecting consistent 1/4-1/2MOA groups, you are misleading yourself. I'll say, as well, if you're expecting that from Sako, based on one rifle, youre also misleading yourself. My first Mark V (270Wby) will put three inside .25MOA at 100, with one load it loves. But not all the Mark Vs I've handled and shot will do that (and that's quite a few now). With very rare exception, all of them will put three inside 1MOA out to 300yds, and many will hold beyond that.
I believe this is a practical world, and in it I can count only on what I can earn.  Therefore I believe in work, hard work. - The Auburn Creed
The older I get, the less stock I place in what men say, and the more I place in what men do. - Andrew Carnegie

« Reply #37 on: December 23, 2018, 07:06:10 AM »
Check your recoil lug. The bedding may only be a blob of a hot glue like substance. On mine the bottom of the lug recess wasn't covered completely and the stuff was only part way up the lug sides. The action moved in the stock at 35 in/lbs.(wood stock) Bedding it and precision reloading made it shoot fantastic.After that, try it with the pressure point in first. You may find you don.'t want it out! Merry Christmas and God Bless to all!
« Last Edit: December 23, 2018, 08:09:45 AM by 11 Charlie »

« Reply #38 on: December 23, 2018, 07:35:47 AM »
The torque procedure is in the Weatherby website.
I shoot cases with a belt because I feel the other cartridges need to pull their trousers up.

« Reply #39 on: December 23, 2018, 08:19:58 AM »
Donít get me wrong; I love my rifle and the caliber.  The rifle is gorgeous, fits and handles perfectly, and is one of my favorite rifles.  In my opinion, the 300 Wby is still one of the best 30 cals, even with the new 30 Nosler and 30 PRC coming out.

My initial question was ďam I expecting too muchĒ, and it appears that I might be when it comes to trying to stack shots in the same hole.  But when I look at everything else the rifle offers, I am more than happy with it.  Would I ever get rid of it, NO WAY.  Will I buy another one, for sure (Terramark).

Thanks everyone for your feedback!

« Reply #40 on: December 30, 2018, 03:48:14 PM »
I"m glad you came to that conclusion. Bought a .270 deluxe back in 1979 made in Japan and had to play w/ powder loads to get to sub moa. 2015, bought a 30-378 Vanguard and had to do the same thing. Each rifle is unique and likes different bullets/powers. 2017 swapped out the the 30-378 for a .300 W. German 1970 mint. Sent into Weatherby to put a brake on it. Right now working up rounds but it loves AMAX w/ Retumbo and it's a tac driver at 3250fps. If you love shooting, then reload! Reach out for loads, always someone out there to help!

Regards,
David