Spike Camp

Am I expecting too much from Mark V Deluxe?

sschefer

Re: Am I expecting too much from Mark V Deluxe?
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2018, 08:22:14 PM »
Ruger Precision Rifle with Vortex Viper Gen II PST 5-25x50mm scope shooting Hornady 6.5 Creedmoor 147gr ELD-Match ammo.

Very nice setup. I have the same scope on my .223 Wylde Match AR (JP Barrel). I also have a Bergara B14-HMR 6.5 Creedmore with a Schmidt & Bender PM II 5-25x52mm. I'm in the process of working up loads for it. It shoots pretty well now but I know it can do much better.

The most amazing 6.5 I have is the Mark V 6.5-300. It will shoot near hole in hole at 100 yards off my lead sled with my Swaro 3.5-18x50mm. And, while it's doing that it will blow chunks off solid granite boulders.

« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2018, 02:56:27 PM »
Ruger Precision Rifle with Vortex Viper Gen II PST 5-25x50mm scope shooting Hornady 6.5 Creedmoor 147gr ELD-Match ammo.

It was funny thats the rifle you have, because when he asked "what rifle do you have that shoots 1/4moa with shelf ammo" I said to myself "My RPR will".

I too have a Gen1 RPR in 6.5 with the GEN1 Viper PST 6-24. Have not shot the 147eld-m loads yet, but it will keep 1/4moa at 100yds with the 140eld-m if I do my part. Great shooting rifles.
US Army Aviation NSDQ!

Magnum Hunter

« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2018, 07:47:45 PM »
After owning several Mark Vs it has been my experience that they prefer flat based bullets over boattails.  Even more so the older the rifle is for some reason. My guess is it has something to do with the way they were crowned. I do have a newer Vanguard in 300 that likes Nosler Accubonds but it is an exception. With today's rangefinding equipment and scopes the little advantage offered by a boattail is not necessary, especially if you are keeping your long shots to 600yds as you mentioned.

« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2018, 08:28:40 PM »
After owning several Mark Vs it has been my experience that they prefer flat based bullets over boattails.  Even more so the older the rifle is for some reason. My guess is it has something to do with the way they were crowned. I do have a newer Vanguard in 300 that likes Nosler Accubonds but it is an exception. With today's rangefinding equipment and scopes the little advantage offered by a boattail is not necessary, especially if you are keeping your long shots to 600yds as you mentioned.

it has nothing to do with the way they were crowned. Some of the older rifles had 1:12 twist barrels and they seemed to prefer the flat base bullets. Also, flat base bullets with most of their weight to the rear of the bullet, are usually easier to get to shoot accurate in most rifles, specially one's with freebore like the Weatherby caliber's. Most of my Mark V's were easier to get flat base bullet loads to shoot accurate, but it didn't take that much more load development to get the boat tail loads to be accurate.

Rob

sschefer

« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2018, 08:57:33 PM »

it has nothing to do with the way they were crowned. Some of the older rifles had 1:12 twist barrels and they seemed to prefer the flat base bullets. Also, flat base bullets with most of their weight to the rear of the bullet, are usually easier to get to shoot accurate in most rifles, specially one's with freebore like the Weatherby caliber's. Most of my Mark V's were easier to get flat base bullet loads to shoot accurate, but it didn't take that much more load development to get the boat tail loads to be accurate.

Rob

I have to agree.

« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2018, 05:02:00 AM »

It was funny thats the rifle you have, because when he asked "what rifle do you have that shoots 1/4moa with shelf ammo" I said to myself "My RPR will".

I too have a Gen1 RPR in 6.5 with the GEN1 Viper PST 6-24. Have not shot the 147eld-m loads yet, but it will keep 1/4moa at 100yds with the 140eld-m if I do my part. Great shooting rifles.

I agreed that this is a good 100 yard gun. I have been to several matches where these guns an d caliber wouldn't score well at extended ranges or the wind kicked up.
Have 2 friends that have these rifles that wanted to test them at long range. At 400 yards they were 1MOA at best. By the time we got to 1000 yards both rifles were missing a 2'x3' gong. They are both using the factory ammo.
Back to the  original topic. The new Weatherby rifles have a sub-moa  guarantee not a 1/2"moa. Without looking rifles  guaranteed to do that up, l believe they start at $3500 and go up.

« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2018, 09:35:57 AM »

The most amazing 6.5 I have is the Mark V 6.5-300. It will shoot near hole in hole at 100 yards off my lead sled with my Swaro 3.5-18x50mm.

Impressive!  Is that with factory ammo or reloading?  If reloading, what load?

Magnum Hunter

« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2018, 12:18:28 PM »
Actually I'm not talking about the early slower twist barrels. I have a 90's Mark V 300 Wby. Mag. made by Saco Defense and another Mark V Custom 270 Wby. Mag. that just don't like boat tails. Sub MOA with flat base bullets.

« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2018, 03:54:10 PM »
Actually I'm not talking about the early slower twist barrels. I have a 90's Mark V 300 Wby. Mag. made by Saco Defense and another Mark V Custom 270 Wby. Mag. that just don't like boat tails. Sub MOA with flat base bullets.

That's why I said some of the older rifles have slower twist barrels, I didn't say all had. It still has nothing to do in how the barrel is crowned. All of my Weatherby's are newer rifles with the faster twist barrels, and most of them were easier to find an accurate load for them with a flat base bullet. It just took a little more load developement to make the boat tails to shoot, that's all.

Rob

Magnum Hunter

« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2018, 06:55:13 PM »
Well....one of my current  300s shoots boat tails better after I chucked it in my lathe and recrowned it. So the crown does have something to do with it. Same loads, same bullet.

« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2018, 11:09:35 PM »
Did you recrown the Mark V barrel? If you did, did it shoot the boat tails as good or better than the flat base bullets, that you said shot sub moa, after you recrowned the barrel?

Rob

Magnum Hunter

« Reply #26 on: December 13, 2018, 12:01:30 PM »
I did re-crown the Mark V. The boat tails shot better than they did before. Can't say better than the flat base bullets. But much better than the 2-3 inches I was getting before. Right at 1" groups with the 180 gr. Accubond.

« Reply #27 on: December 18, 2018, 11:59:46 AM »
Myself I would be just fine with 1” groups from a Hunting rifle. It’s always a good idea to check the action screw torque values though as they could have changed over the years from the stock drying or gaining moisture.

Magnum Hunter

« Reply #28 on: December 18, 2018, 02:43:08 PM »
Myself I would be just fine with 1” groups from a Hunting rifle. It’s always a good idea to check the action screw torque values though as they could have changed over the years from the stock drying or gaining moisture.
Exactly.
Weatherby's seem to be sensitive to guard screw torque, and if memory serves me correctly, require about 60 inch pounds on the front screw.

« Reply #29 on: December 18, 2018, 10:02:56 PM »
MOA or better from a hunting rifle is more than accurate enough for a hunting rifle.  If you want a target gun get a target gun but don't expect a stock hunting rifle to be a one hole target gun.  Doing that isn't fair to the rifle and is setting yourself up for big disappointments.
Nothing is better than a Weatherby, big bore magnum, or a Colt.