Spike Camp

bore brush or no bore brush

Stacy

• View Profile
Re: bore brush or no bore brush
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2018, 08:26:07 PM »
For years, with competition Benchrest rifles, I have used a Dewey coated cleaning rod (with bore guide) and use bronze cleaning brushes. They do a thorough cleaning job with less passes than a nylon brush would, followed by ample cleaning patches.

They have never once detrimentally harmed any expensive match-grade barrel and always worked well with each of my hunting or target rifles. I've always favored Butch's Bore Shine.
+1 Dewey rod, bore guide, bronze brush and Patch Out and Wipe Out clean my barrels just fine. 

224KING

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2018, 08:53:06 PM »
Still haven't figured out what you guys are talking about.This rifle cleaning the barrel deal.You mean you got to clean them?
Sorry... Yesterday was the last and final day for any and all complaints whatsoever.

I try to avoid temptation unless I can't resist it.

Everyone has a photographic memory.Some just don't have film.

« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2018, 01:13:11 PM »
Still haven't figured out what you guys are talking about.This rifle cleaning the barrel deal.You mean you got to clean them?

There's wisdom hidden in that question. Had I not been so ambitious in the cleaning of my old .257 I probably would have never seen the fire cracks and it probably would have shot just fine.
Steve
Lifetime NRA Member
Retired in the Nevada high desert and loving life.

« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2018, 01:58:26 PM »
  I learned to clean my dad's S&W "Outdoorsman" when I was single digits in age.  I inherited that gun and it is the single most accurate handgun I own and a thing of beauty to me. I love the smell of Hoppe's #8 and #9. LOL! Hoppe's #9 is over 100 years old! 

« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2018, 06:12:04 AM »
Here is someone that did some tests on different solvents.
Not the most scientific but interesting.

http://www.frfrogspad.com/cleaners.htm

His go to for cleaning carbon out of his barrels is now Piston Kleen...lol
I might consider Mopar Combustion Chamber Cleaner since that comes out in a foam ;D

To the OP's question. Worried about the bronze brush damaging the barrel? Think what a bullet is doing to it as it shoves past and/or pushes out the residue left by the previous round.

« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2018, 07:01:55 AM »
Somrone did a calculation of the accumulated amount of time in which  there is a bullet passing through the bore of the rifle. Given the length of the barrel, expected life span of a barrel (1,500 - 5,000 rounds), and the speed of a bullet, there is only about 2 - 10 seconds worth of usefulness from your barrel. You just paid several thousands of dollars for 10 seconds of fun.... ;)

« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2018, 11:38:34 AM »
Oh I'm not worried at all, just I read and hear it all the time note to use a bore brush

« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2018, 11:12:20 AM »
Oh I'm not worried at all, just I read and hear it all the time note to use a bore brush

Yep, hear it all the time. Some say not to use a copper brush.. I have yet to find one, but I guess they exist.
Steve
Lifetime NRA Member
Retired in the Nevada high desert and loving life.