Spike Camp

Problem solved! Mark V safety

Problem solved! Mark V safety
« on: December 05, 2018, 07:15:22 AM »
I bought a used, but excellent Mark V Ultra Lightweight rifle in .270 Roy.  I mean for a rifle with a BW serial # (2002-2004), this thing just screams safe queen.  Almost ...

One small problem:  The safety wouldn't engage.  After some web research, I found a post or two here on the Nation indicating this usually means problems with the trigger -- and often it means someone (previous owner ... not me) mucked with the weight adjustment.

Web sources also suggested the first step of a thorough cleaning of the trigger -- tried blasting it with Birchwood Casey Gun Scrubber, then applied a very light coat of RemOil ... the safety still couldn't be engaged.  Ugh!  As good as the Weatherby factory folks are, I was hoping I wouldn't have to send the rifle to them for "work."

Since the original factory trigger was both creepy and gritty, I was planning to switch to a Timney anyway.  With the new Timney installed -- TA DA!  The safety now works like buttah and functions as it should, and the overall quality of the trigger pull is VASTLY improved (really crisp!).

Anyway, just passing along the solution I came up with for a Mark V with a balky safety.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2018, 07:19:12 AM by Badgerland Hunter »
Roy was a genius.  Period.

• View Profile
Re: Problem solved! Mark V safety
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2018, 08:26:04 AM »
Glad you got it fixed and are happy
Also thanks for the information
Mike

PARA45

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2018, 08:26:51 AM »
Well done!!!!  I love it when a plan comes together  ;D  Any pictures of your new to you rifle?

BB340

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2018, 02:54:39 PM »
Good to hear it's all sorted. Yes pics please!
Aussie gun nut.

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2018, 04:23:21 PM »
Good info. What is the weight range on the Timney and where are you going to set it?
Roger
Faster horses,younger women,older whiskey,and more money.

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2018, 04:40:13 PM »
Oddly, I had a very similar problem with my brand new .257. Towards the end of the 40 round break-in, the trigger became very gritty and the safety was really stiff. I ordered and new 2.5lb Timney direct from Timney and that fixed the problem.

After I replaced the trigger I decided to disassemble the original trigger to see if I could figure out what was wrong. I don't know exactly what the problem was but after cleaning all the parts with electrical contact cleaner and compressed air, and then a small amount of lube in the right places, the trigger was perfect again. I suspect that while cleaning between break in groups I got bore cleaner into the trigger and that caused the problem. I immediately ordered a bore guide and now use it during cleaning.
Steve
Lifetime NRA Member
Retired in the Nevada high desert and loving life.

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2018, 07:50:34 AM »
Thanks to all who replied/commented!

Re: pics -- I have a new Leupold scope inbound, so once I get that mounted I'll snap and post some pics of the new rig.
Roy was a genius.  Period.