Spike Camp

stupid question.....maybe

Re: stupid question.....maybe
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2018, 03:45:55 PM »
In my experiences reloading for Weatherby calibers is economical.Also you will pay for your reloading equipment quickly if you shoot much.I put the pencil to the reloading of the 257 and 300 Wbs a few years ago and cost per box was in the $25 range using premium bullets and figuring 8 reloads for the brass and yes I do get that many.Where as premium factory ammo from Weatherby was running about $80 per box.I do buy primers by the 1000 and 8 lb. containers of powder. If you watch the major shooting supply houses you can get free shipping or hazmat or both for primers and powder.I suppose if you only shoot a box of ammo every couple of years per caliber then it wouldnt be worth while.I believe in a lot of practice to be an ethical hunter and plus I just like to shoot. ;D
Roger
Faster horses,younger women,older whiskey,and more money.

PARA45

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2018, 04:38:00 PM »
BTW, there is no such a thing as a “stupid question”.  If you get stuck w something or need assistance, post your questions here.  Also, you’ve been given solid advise here.  Congrats on your new hobby!!

dubyam

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2018, 09:30:56 PM »
In my experiences reloading for Weatherby calibers is economical.Also you will pay for your reloading equipment quickly if you shoot much.I put the pencil to the reloading of the 257 and 300 Wbs a few years ago and cost per box was in the $25 range using premium bullets and figuring 8 reloads for the brass and yes I do get that many.Where as premium factory ammo from Weatherby was running about $80 per box.I do buy primers by the 1000 and 8 lb. containers of powder. If you watch the major shooting supply houses you can get free shipping or hazmat or both for primers and powder.I suppose if you only shoot a box of ammo every couple of years per caliber then it wouldnt be worth while.I believe in a lot of practice to be an ethical hunter and plus I just like to shoot. ;D

I've run the numbers several different times over the years, and can remember when ammo was $10-15 for standard rounds and $20 for WinMag/RemMag, and even then I could load for about a third to half the price of factory ammo. Once I made the jump to Weatherby rounds, it just kept making more sense by the day.

I will say, that for most of my reloading life, I have not actually saved any money, but rather shot a whole lot more. You may find yourself afflicted with the same virus. Enjoy!
I believe this is a practical world, and in it I can count only on what I can earn.  Therefore I believe in work, hard work. - The Auburn Creed
The older I get, the less stock I place in what men say, and the more I place in what men do. - Andrew Carnegie

257 Shooter

• 257 Shooter
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2018, 05:54:22 AM »
That's right. Loading your own ammunition gives you the ability to shoot more, you can tailor a round that is specific to your need and shoots best in your rifle. There's more satisfaction when you score a big game animal with ammunition you've put together yourself. Have fun.

« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2018, 02:48:48 PM »
Thanks for the help guys one other question I can't remember if I posted here or not how difficult would it be to resize 270 Weatherby to 7mm Weatherby

« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2018, 02:51:01 PM »
I guess I did post it here if anybody has any pointers let me know