Spike Camp

stupid question.....maybe

stupid question.....maybe
« on: December 05, 2018, 06:44:57 PM »
Maybe sounds stupid, but as I'm learning this on my own. How do I know what shell holder I need for my reloading dies..........sorry If this is a simple one

Re: stupid question.....maybe
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2018, 07:10:39 PM »
The easiest way is to go to the website of the brand dies you are using and look it up there.I like using the same brand shell holder as my dies but you don't have to.Not a stupid question, we all have to learn.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2018, 07:52:43 PM by terminator »
Roger
Faster horses,younger women,older whiskey,and more money.

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2018, 07:12:35 PM »
Thank you !! lots to learn for reloading. Can be confusing for these old eyes....lol

224KING

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2018, 08:03:56 PM »
If you are just getting started handloading I urge you to get a subscription to handloader magazine.Even if you just take it for a year or two it's a good,informative guide to reloading.
Sorry... Yesterday was the last and final day for any and all complaints whatsoever.

I try to avoid temptation unless I can't resist it.

Everyone has a photographic memory.Some just don't have film.

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2018, 08:16:09 PM »
If you're using RCBS band dies it'll tell you what shell holder to use on the label on the box of dies.  I can't say for absolute certainty but my guess is most other brands do the same.
Nothing is better than a Weatherby, big bore magnum, or a Colt.

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2018, 08:25:15 PM »
good info, I'll check it out. Also will get that subscription, I have read it a few times before.

Stacy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2018, 10:29:28 PM »
Congratulations on starting reloading. It's a fun and very rewarding hobby. It's very satisfying to shoot or hunt with ammunition you loaded yourself. 

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2018, 03:05:35 AM »
If your starting with no one showing you. I would also suggest buying a couple reloading manuals and read them cover to cover, they have a lot of information in them
I would suggest Sierra, Hornady, Nosler, and a Speer manual's
Mike

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2018, 04:27:53 AM »
Lee dies come with the shell holder.  :)

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2018, 08:12:57 AM »
If it is for your 7MM WBY. the RCBS is a #4, it will work with any magnum with the same diameter rim and belt.
John

« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2018, 02:36:06 PM »
If your starting with no one showing you. I would also suggest buying a couple reloading manuals and read them cover to cover, they have a lot of information in them
I would suggest Sierra, Hornady, Nosler, and a Speer manual's

+1 on Mike posted, get some reloading manuals of the bullets you will be using and read them. I would also recommend keeping it simple to start, nothing fancy just basic, and reload only 10 rounds at a time until you get use to it.

1) inspect for cracks and clean your brass
2)lube,full length resize and deprime your cases
3) trim the cases to proper length and clean the primer pockets
4) prime your brass
5)charge your cases with powder, using the starting load in your reloading manual,( don't forget to zero your powder scale before your start)
6)seat your bullet in your case to the COAL in your manual
7) try them out,
8)start again at #1 this time with more powder( 1/2 gr with small cases, 1 gr with large cases)
9) keep repeating step 1-7 until you find your accurate load or max load in your reloading manual(whichever comes frist) with that powder.

there's nothing to it, if you keep it simple to start with, after you get some experience reloading then you can get into the more advance stuff.  8)

Rob

cfp-223REM
accumark-223Rem
ultralite-240 Wby
synthetic-240 Wby
synthetic-257 Wby
ultralite-270 Wby
fibermark-270 Wby
accumark-270 Wby
accumark-7mm Wby
stainless-300 Wby
fibermark-300Wby
accumark-30378 Wby
fibermark-340 Wby
accumark-338378 Wby
custom-375 Wby
DGR-378 Wby
DGR-416 Wby
custom DGR-460 Wby

224KING

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2018, 01:27:56 AM »
Buy a stuck case removal kit from RCBS.One of these days you'll need it.Don't know when you'll need it so just buy one and put it up,because when you get a case stuck your reloading for a reason and a stuck case will shut the whole operation down.
Sorry... Yesterday was the last and final day for any and all complaints whatsoever.

I try to avoid temptation unless I can't resist it.

Everyone has a photographic memory.Some just don't have film.

« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2018, 06:45:15 AM »
+1 A stuck case will happen eventually.
Roger
Faster horses,younger women,older whiskey,and more money.

« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2018, 09:35:07 AM »
Buy a stuck case removal kit from RCBS.One of these days you'll need it.Don't know when you'll need it so just buy one and put it up,because when you get a case stuck your reloading for a reason and a stuck case will shut the whole operation down.

Sound advice.

I recommend a set of depriming dies. You get two in the RCBS set, one is for small caliber and one for large. These do not resize but I find that if I deprime first and then clean the cases I have far less residue to clean out of the primer pockets and the holes just need a quick check.

If you have all the equipment to do your reloading you're still not saving enough money to make reloading for Weatherby's an economical thing. Can you improve accuracy over Weatherby factory ammo? Maybe, maybe not. Can you improve it over other manufacturers ammo? Definitely. Good luck, reloading can be both rewarding and frustrating but one things for sure, once you start, you'll learn more about your rifles abilities than you could ever imagine.
Steve
Lifetime NRA Member
Retired in the Nevada high desert and loving life.

« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2018, 02:04:58 PM »
I have only been loading my own since the early 90's. These guys have been reloading since forever. Specific questions are easy and we are glad to share our cumulative knowledge.  I am the cheapest bastard here!  LOL!