Spike Camp

Copper plated barrel

Copper plated barrel
« on: December 06, 2018, 08:44:55 AM »
I recently acquired a Mk V in .257 Wby.  Being a proud owner of my 3rd Wby I promptly loaded 10 rounds and went to the local rangecouldn't believe the 2 1/2 to 4 inch 3 shot groups I got.  I went home and ran some Montana Extreme Copper Killer solvent through the bore and was rewarded with patches that looked like denim.  During an all out cleaning session that ammonia based product caused my sinuses to drain like mad and I lost my voice.  I took advice from members on another forum and ordered Bore Tech CU 2 and resumed cleaning.

I'm beginning to think that this barrel had never been cleaned down to bare metal.  So, my question is, Is this barrel ruined?  Can it be saved by trying do do a barrel break in as though it were new?  Some have advocating me to "fire lap" the barrel.  Others suggest Dyna Bore now that it is down to bare metal.  Or should I just bite the bullet and drive to Sheridan and get a new barrel installed.

Any and all suggestions will be appreciated.

Re: Copper plated barrel
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2018, 09:21:58 AM »
I recently acquired a Mk V in .257 Wby.  Being a proud owner of my 3rd Wby I promptly loaded 10 rounds and went to the local rangecouldn't believe the 2 1/2 to 4 inch 3 shot groups I got.  I went home and ran some Montana Extreme Copper Killer solvent through the bore and was rewarded with patches that looked like denim.  During an all out cleaning session that ammonia based product caused my sinuses to drain like mad and I lost my voice.  I took advice from members on another forum and ordered Bore Tech CU 2 and resumed cleaning.

I'm beginning to think that this barrel had never been cleaned down to bare metal.  So, my question is, Is this barrel ruined?  Can it be saved by trying do do a barrel break in as though it were new?  Some have advocating me to "fire lap" the barrel.  Others suggest Dyna Bore now that it is down to bare metal.  Or should I just bite the bullet and drive to Sheridan and get a new barrel installed.

Any and all suggestions will be appreciated.

Its not uncommon. It took me four days to clean a .257 barrel. You've done good. The final step is to have a bore scope run down it to check for any problems. A local gun shop might have one and do it for a small fee. If that comes back good then go shoot it. Barrel replacements are 6 months out right now and it will run about 500.00 when I last checked a month ago. I believe only the Admin functions are in Sheridan right now and the Gun Smithing side is still in Californina.

You can't just buy a barrel from Weatherby, you have to send the action in and they will fit it with a new barrel.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2018, 09:24:18 AM by sschefer »
Steve
Lifetime NRA Member
Retired in the Nevada high desert and loving life.

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2018, 09:30:38 AM »
After you have all the copper out then just take it out and shoot it and see how she does before doing anything else.
Roger
Faster horses,younger women,older whiskey,and more money.

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2018, 03:21:44 PM »
After you have all the copper out then just take it out and shoot it and see how she does before doing anything else.

+1

Rob
cfp-223REM
accumark-223Rem
ultralite-240 Wby
synthetic-240 Wby
synthetic-257 Wby
ultralite-270 Wby
fibermark-270 Wby
accumark-270 Wby
accumark-7mm Wby
stainless-300 Wby
fibermark-300Wby
accumark-30378 Wby
fibermark-340 Wby
accumark-338378 Wby
custom-375 Wby
DGR-378 Wby
DGR-416 Wby
custom DGR-460 Wby

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2018, 04:54:11 PM »
While you guy's are probably right and it will shoot just fine, it may not and I'm not willing to tell someone that it's ok to shoot when the end result, even if remote, could be harmful. I also doubt there will be a problem and the bolt with it's 3 gas ports gives us a lot of protection. But still, there's that one in a million chance so I say, take it to a gun shop and pay 15.00 to have some one scope it and remove all doubt.
Steve
Lifetime NRA Member

dubyam

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2018, 05:40:50 PM »
Roger is right. Copper in the bore is just fouling. Unless there is corrosion on the other parts of the gun (trigger mechanism, under the barrel/action where the stock covers it, etc.) There is no reason to believe there is anything wrong with it. Someone just didn't know how to clean it prior to you getting it. Heck, they probably thought it was shot out, and that's why they got rid of it.

My 300Wby came to me used. It was what I call a "Statue of Liberty" gun. The bore was nearly solid green with copper fouling. Took me a week of cleaning it a few hours every night to get it clean. First trip to the range, with basic handloads gave me 1MOA three shot groups. I've never looked back. That gun just gets better with age.

Go shoot your rifle. Theres nothing wrong with it.
I believe this is a practical world, and in it I can count only on what I can earn.  Therefore I believe in work, hard work. - The Auburn Creed
The older I get, the less stock I place in what men say, and the more I place in what men do. - Andrew Carnegie

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2018, 10:05:44 AM »
Roger is right. Copper in the bore is just fouling. Unless there is corrosion on the other parts of the gun (trigger mechanism, under the barrel/action where the stock covers it, etc.) There is no reason to believe there is anything wrong with it. Someone just didn't know how to clean it prior to you getting it. Heck, they probably thought it was shot out, and that's why they got rid of it.

My 300Wby came to me used. It was what I call a "Statue of Liberty" gun. The bore was nearly solid green with copper fouling. Took me a week of cleaning it a few hours every night to get it clean. First trip to the range, with basic handloads gave me 1MOA three shot groups. I've never looked back. That gun just gets better with age.

Go shoot your rifle. Theres nothing wrong with it.

You may be right, but what if your wrong? It's so cheap and simple to know for sure, why would you not suggest the final check with a bore scope.
Steve
Lifetime NRA Member

dubyam

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2018, 02:57:48 PM »
For the same reason I wouldn't suggest you take your car to a mechanic to be checked out because the person you bought it from didn't wash it regularly. But if it makes you feel better, by all means take it to a gunsmith. Please let us know what the gunsmith says, also.
I believe this is a practical world, and in it I can count only on what I can earn.  Therefore I believe in work, hard work. - The Auburn Creed
The older I get, the less stock I place in what men say, and the more I place in what men do. - Andrew Carnegie

« Reply #8 on: Yesterday at 08:15:30 AM »
Certain solvents can soak overnight. The 340 I bought was similar and I plugged the barrel and soaked several times with Eliminator.

The copper Barnes particay pre TSX was  a heavy fouler.

Bear in mind that a bare barrel may take a few shots to "settle" down. Anything up to 20 shots on some barrels but mostly 5 to 10.
I shoot cases with a belt because I feel the other cartridges need to pull their trousers up.