Spike Camp

Copper plated barrel

Re: Copper plated barrel
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2018, 11:05:47 AM »
The reason I don't take my cleaning stuff to the range is that after firing 4 rounds Sunday I have run approx 50 patches with Bore Tech CU 2 plus nylon brushes down the bore and my patches still look like denim.  I just ran 4 patches + the nylon brush and let it set for about 20 minutes then start all over again.  Once I get it back down to bare steel I'll fire one shot then clean again and see how much is built up.

Maybe by next goat season I'll have it shooting right.

dubyam

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2018, 12:08:37 PM »
Just about the only issue I see with not cleaning often enough is the risk in some highly overbore chambered guns, of the additional carbon fouling in the barrel, sitting in contact with the steel, changing its metal properties slightly. Maybe its insignificant, but I don't know enough about metallurgy to say yes or no, and err to the side of caution. Now, for me, cleaning "often enough" means every 50-100rds or annually, whichever comes first. I shoot a lot less right now than I used to, so I'm doing a lot of annual cleanings lately.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2018, 04:42:36 PM by dubyam »
I believe this is a practical world, and in it I can count only on what I can earn.  Therefore I believe in work, hard work. - The Auburn Creed
The older I get, the less stock I place in what men say, and the more I place in what men do. - Andrew Carnegie

« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2018, 04:17:06 PM »
I use Hoppes Bench Rest #9 with great results to remove copper. Once the copper is out though you need a rust preventative as Bench Rest doesn’t have any like regular #9 does.

224KING

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2018, 06:06:42 PM »
The reason I don't take my cleaning stuff to the range is that after firing 4 rounds Sunday I have run approx 50 patches with Bore Tech CU 2 plus nylon brushes down the bore and my patches still look like denim.  I just ran 4 patches + the nylon brush and let it set for about 20 minutes then start all over again.  Once I get it back down to bare steel I'll fire one shot then clean again and see how much is built up.

You need to put a plug in the muzzle and fill it full of copper solvent and let it sit 24 hrs.
Retirement; The art of doing very little,very slowly

Expert; Someone who knows so much about so little

If you live in the swirl of the drain,inevitably you'll wind up in the cesspool.

Remember 10534

Sorry... Yesterday was the last and final day for any and all complaints whatsoever.

sschefer

« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2018, 06:33:53 PM »

Are you using a brass jag? It will react with the CU and give you blue patches even though the bore is copper free. BoreTech sells non-reactive jags just for that reason.

« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2018, 08:21:14 PM »
All ready been there.  Everything I use is non brass or copper and is used with a Montana Extreme cleaning rod.  I'm 75 and I have been hunting, shooting and fishing for more years than I care to remember and I have never come across a barrel like this.

sschefer

« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2018, 08:55:57 PM »
All ready been there.  Everything I use is non brass or copper and is used with a Montana Extreme cleaning rod.  I'm 75 and I have been hunting, shooting and fishing for more years than I care to remember and I have never come across a barrel like this.

Well, if it's any consolation, it took me 4 days to get the copper out of an old German .257. I don't know if it was never cleaned or just poorly cleaned. Mine was layers of copper and carbon. I would think I had it and then it would show back up on the patch. My final solution was to mix up 2 parts Janitorial Ammonia with 1 part sudsy ammonia and 1 part Dawn dishwashing soap. That's a recipe that's been around for years and it works, just don't let it soak for more than an hour. I didn't have any BoreTech at the time so my final cleaning was with Hopes #9, The draw back to cleaning out all that copper was that I finally got down to the steel only to find that the throat was badly eroded and fire cracked.

« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2018, 12:28:44 PM »
Sir a few of us have now suggested plugging and soaking. I seriously suggest you try it. You can also use some JB first if you like. Follow the instructions if you do. It should clean up. The chemicals need time to work.
I shoot cases with a belt because I feel the other cartridges need to pull their trousers up.

dubyam

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2018, 04:42:14 PM »
You can soak it, or use the BTE regimen I suggest. Either way, you need to get what amounts to years of copper and carbon fouling out. Don't be surprised if you get a bunch of copper, then black carbon, then more copper, more carbon, in layers, as it is not uncommon for poorly cleaned bores of fast chamberings.
I believe this is a practical world, and in it I can count only on what I can earn.  Therefore I believe in work, hard work. - The Auburn Creed
The older I get, the less stock I place in what men say, and the more I place in what men do. - Andrew Carnegie

sschefer

« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2018, 04:53:42 PM »
You can soak it, or use the BTE regimen I suggest. Either way, you need to get what amounts to years of copper and carbon fouling out. Don't be surprised if you get a bunch of copper, then black carbon, then more copper, more carbon, in layers, as it is not uncommon for poorly cleaned bores of fast chamberings.

+1 I've been there and done that.

« Reply #25 on: December 21, 2018, 09:03:03 PM »
No brush required with Wipe out.  Just a quick squirt in the muzzle it will foam, let it sit for 4 hours run a patch, repeat as required. Found it works great, almost the same as Sweets 7.62 without the ammonia smell.

« Reply #26 on: December 22, 2018, 03:52:11 AM »
If it's coppered up that bad JB bore cleaning compound is the best and easiest cleaner to remove copper. If the barrel continues to copper foul with minimal shots I'd  lead lap it. A Borescope is your friend.

« Reply #27 on: December 22, 2018, 01:51:08 PM »
Taking the advice here, I picked up a couple cork stoppers from Ace Hdwe, plugged the barrel after removing the barreled action from the stock.  I propped it up setting the muzzle end in a small aluminum pan and filled it up to the chamber with eliminator and I'll check it tomorrow.  Keeping my fingers crossed.

« Reply #28 on: December 23, 2018, 08:39:10 AM »
Taking the advice here, I picked up a couple cork stoppers from Ace Hdwe, plugged the barrel after removing the barreled action from the stock.  I propped it up setting the muzzle end in a small aluminum pan and filled it up to the chamber with eliminator and I'll check it tomorrow.  Keeping my fingers crossed.

Post a picture the gunk you get out.  ;D
I shoot cases with a belt because I feel the other cartridges need to pull their trousers up.

dubyam

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 23, 2018, 09:39:48 AM »
I'm betting you get cotton patches which look like denim for a while...