Spike Camp

Decisions Decisions??

BB340

• View Profile
Re: Decisions Decisions??
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2018, 03:15:17 PM »
I think I may have a decision on what I will do... I think I will get a matching big hitter in either .416 or .378. But it solely depend on whether or not the barrel maker here in Australia can put a Pendleton Brake on the barrel for me. I am not a fan of brakes but the .378 and .416 definitely needs one. So I want the older style Pendelton as it is nowhere near as loud as the newer Accubrake. I know it doesn't reduce the recoil as much but that I can live with. I am just waiting on an email from the barrel makers to see if they can do it.
If they can't then I will stick to my original plan of a matching pair of .300 and .460 bee's. (well actually my original plan was a .257 and .460 lol. But decided that my .257 already has a lovely piece of timber on it. Mind you 2 .257's couldn't hurt haha)   
Aussie gun nut.

sschefer

« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2018, 03:24:37 PM »
If you really didn't want to get rid of it coming to the "Brain Trust" was a pretty safe bet. ;D

Haha yeah I know you are right Big Muddy. I really don't see myself being able to sell it...
Whew! I was hoping that was going to be your decision. I'd love to have it but I'd have to sell a 300 and I can't bring myself to do that. Weird huh. I'll probably never sell the resurrected 300 just because of what I went through to get it perfect and the new one, well, I'm first owner so that's special too.

DW5

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2018, 03:44:27 PM »
Keep us posted BB!
You cant catch a fish without a hook in the water....

« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2018, 05:54:06 PM »
 Since it’s already a 300, and your considering a big hitter, how about a .375 Weatherby?  A classic and no where CLOSE to the recoil of the .378. No bolt face problems, just screw on the new tube and go.
" If your going to put a hole in something, make it a hole to be proud of "

« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2018, 09:00:58 PM »
Rebarrel and sell the UltraMark. Simplest solution I guess.

You could sell the UltraMark or donate it to the CptnAwesome Weatherby preservation society. I recommend the latter!

Haha yep sure I will donate it to the CptnAwesome Weatherby preservation society. I would however have to charge a small fee for the overseas postage from Australia... Somewhere around AU$4000 should cover it  ;D
Oh........ :-[

BB340

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2018, 03:47:14 PM »
Since it’s already a 300, and your considering a big hitter, how about a .375 Weatherby?  A classic and no where CLOSE to the recoil of the .378. No bolt face problems, just screw on the new tube and go.

Yep don't think for one minute that the .375 Wby hasn't been in my thoughts too. It would be the easiest to rebarrel to as well... How ever I am wanting a synthetic stocked stainless or cerakoted .375 Wby as that is a combo that I have envisioned myself using on a hippo, croc, eland etc hunt on my next trip to the dark continent. I have a DGR in .375 H&H which I may rechamber to .375 wby. 
Aussie gun nut.

« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2018, 06:39:38 PM »
BB Rebarrel It with the 26" 300 Wby. Thats what you wanted in the first place. I am anal myself and you might as well get exactly what you want. or you will be second guessing your self at some point.
Mark

PARA45

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2018, 06:44:08 PM »
Sh*t BB, where do you find those beauties!   That 300 has a beautiful stock, I would keep it, and build whatever gun you were planning on building.  All because of the stock  ;D
Senator John Kennedy  " If you support defunding the police, you've tested positive for stupid".

« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2018, 09:26:58 PM »

Yep don't think for one minute that the .375 Wby hasn't been in my thoughts too. It would be the easiest to rebarrel to as well... How ever I am wanting a synthetic stocked stainless or cerakoted .375 Wby as that is a combo that I have envisioned myself using on a hippo, croc, eland etc hunt on my next trip to the dark continent. I have a DGR in .375 H&H which I may rechamber to .375 wby.

That's a good plan Brett, 1) all it would take is to run the reamer down it, 2) still have your factory open sites of your DGR, 3) can still use 375 H&H ammo if need be.  I have a 375 H&H, 375 WBY, and 378 Wby, and if I had to keep just one it would be the 375 WBY.

Rob

BB340

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2018, 09:37:47 PM »
BB Rebarrel It with the 26" 300 Wby. Thats what you wanted in the first place. I am anal myself and you might as well get exactly what you want. or you will be second guessing your self at some point.

See that is why I am having a hard time deciding. A matching pair of .460 & .300 would be great combo for a 2 gun battery for Africa. I already have the .460 floorplate engraved with a cape buff. Plus the 1-4x20 VX3i has a cape buff engraved on the objective end. A .300 wby with Kudu engraved floorplate and scope would be a great looking pair. Yes the more I think about it, the more I like my original idea.
I was really only thinking of the .378 or 416 as I have to rebarrel the rifle because I am so anal about minor things like that, so it would of been a cheaper way to own one of those other two calibers. I really want my .416 Wby to be in the Mark V Safari rifle anyways. 
Aussie gun nut.

« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2018, 07:54:43 PM »
Ok first thing first, just the thought of selling your Ultramark is reason enough to have your head examined.   :D  I have a solution that you haven't thought of, keep all you .300's and rebarrel the Japanese .300 to .340 Weatherby Magnum that way you keep all your beautiful .300s and still have a sister rifle to your .460 Weatherby Magnum.  Also you'd have to open the bolt face to step up to a .378 or .416 Weatherby Magnum where as rebarreling to a .340 Weatherby Magnum is just a matter of screwing on the new barrel and setting the head space.
Nothing is better than a Weatherby, big bore magnum, or a Colt.

BB340

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2018, 10:24:28 PM »
Ok first thing first, just the thought of selling your Ultramark is reason enough to have your head examined.   :D  I have a solution that you haven't thought of, keep all you .300's and rebarrel the Japanese .300 to .340 Weatherby Magnum that way you keep all your beautiful .300s and still have a sister rifle to your .460 Weatherby Magnum.  Also you'd have to open the bolt face to step up to a .378 or .416 Weatherby Magnum where as rebarreling to a .340 Weatherby Magnum is just a matter of screwing on the new barrel and setting the head space.

That my friend is one solution I did not think of. Especially considering how much I LOVE the .340 Wby mag! 
Aussie gun nut.

« Reply #27 on: December 11, 2018, 04:01:10 AM »

That my friend is one solution I did not think of. Especially considering how much I LOVE the .340 Wby mag!

+2, excellent idea 😎

« Reply #28 on: December 18, 2018, 10:06:17 PM »
Did you happen to decide on what you're going to do?  I can't wait to hear what you decided on. 
Nothing is better than a Weatherby, big bore magnum, or a Colt.

BB340

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 18, 2018, 11:05:18 PM »
Did you happen to decide on what you're going to do?  I can't wait to hear what you decided on.

Yes Chris I went with the obvious decision which was your suggestion. I am going to have a it re barreled into .340 wby. A nice full 26" barrel with a kudu engraved floor plate. It will be matching to my .460 and going to have gold mother of pearl diamond on the pistol grip cap. I am not sure what the name of the wood for the for end is called, it's not rosewood but all I know is my gunsmith said it is absolutely gorgeous and will look fantastic. And at US$250 for just enough to do 2 rifles it sure better lol.
It will be a while until he finishes them though. But you guys will be the 1st to see it when they are done.   
Aussie gun nut.