Spike Camp

Almost Fatal Hog Story

Almost Fatal Hog Story
« on: December 06, 2018, 09:22:49 PM »
My Maternal Grandfather put the fear of pigs in me at an early age.  He had raised pigs for slaughter all his life.  That's how a poor farmer like him was able to feed my Mother and her eight siblings.  Anyway, when I was four or five and starting to wander from his farmhouse, he FORBID me to even think about going close to his hog pen.  It was an old still sturdy wooden rail fenced area, that had a couple of pigs in it.  "If you get in that pen, they will eat you up, clothes and all, and we won't even know what happened to you."  Even my older teen-aged cousins were forbidden to go down there, let alone sit on the rail fence to watch them, for the possibility of falling in the pen.  Grandpa spoke almost with the authority of God, so we heeded his warnings.  Anyway, a lady friend of mine had some cousins move into our rural area a couple of years ago from Houston; city people.  I may have met them once.  Their new rural place had a couple acres of land, and they soon acquired a few animals, including a "darling" little orphaned piglet.  Not one of those Chinese miniature pigs, but a plain old pig.  That became the pet of the teenage female cousin.  He is now a full grown boar with tusks.  When I heard that the young gal was still going in the pen with him and petting him and stuff, I told my lady friend, that that was a disaster waiting to happen.  I do not know if you believe this or not, but I think that ALL males of any animal species, know when there is a female of any animal species, that is "in heat."  I think that it is simple biology, having witnessed it countless times with my male dogs and human females I have had around.  Well, the disaster happened yesterday.  The teenage gal went in the pen to feed the boar, and he went after her.  She was lucky she got out of the pen alive.  He stuck a tusk in her calf, and severed an artery.  Her Mother had nursing experience and contained the bleeding till the medics got there.  The way I understood it, they "stapled" the artery shut, and got her to the ER, where everything was fixed up.  She has a bunch of stitches, but is fine.  I assume that the pig met his demise when the Father got home, if he knew how to shoot it.  I have heard similar stories of people having "pet" deer and "pet" coons, that end up tearing things up.  I do not "fear" animals, but I have a big amount of respect for them.  If they are over fifty pounds, I give them their space, and I am always on guard.  If they are a "mamma" with little ones, no matter the size, I give them their space.  MM

224KING

• View Profile
Re: Almost Fatal Hog Story
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2018, 01:15:33 AM »
We raised pigs in the late sixties and early seventies and had a 10-12 sow pig farm.I have seen how brutal pigs can be and how dangerous they are,but some of the best fun I ever had was riding pigs,or at least trying to ride pigs.With 10 or 12 sows it doesn't take long to accumulate 150 to 200 pigs just waiting on them to go to market.So that made plenty of riding stock.Brings back some fond memories.

You ever ride any young pigs at your Grandpa's place MusicMan?
Sorry... Yesterday was the last and final day for any and all complaints whatsoever.

I try to avoid temptation unless I can't resist it.

Everyone has a photographic memory.Some just don't have film.

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2018, 07:04:28 AM »
Tom:As a kid I was always hopping on one to try to ride. We raised one that we had to bottle feed and I named  him HeeHaw.Mama took a picture of me riding him on the day we sent him off to market. He was 220 lbs and I had on my cowboy chaps,Roy Rogers leather gloves,cowboy hat, and my cock ricochet sounding gun in my hand.Good times. I have also had sows charge gates and fences and keep battering them when we were castrating their pigs and they were squealing.I remember Daddy saying "Hell hold him boy" ;D. It was kind of hard for a kid to concentrate on holding that pig right when there was a 300 lb slobbering sow crashing the gate repeatedly.
Roger
Faster horses,younger women,older whiskey,and more money.

224KING

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2018, 08:32:11 AM »
HaHa.Good "Clean" fun even though you got plenty dirty while the rodeo was on.I bet your Mom and Dad got a kick out of watching you do that,or at least until she had to wash those clothes.

One thing I remember was we had a lot of electric fencing and being wet around the hog pens meant that shock you'd get was that much worse than being in normal dry ground.Anyway I remember it not hardly holding some of the young pigs if they wanted out,they would get out.What was funny was they would go to squealing way before they went under the wire.They new it would hurt,but just kept going and when they did hit it they would let out a little louder.So funny.
Sorry... Yesterday was the last and final day for any and all complaints whatsoever.

I try to avoid temptation unless I can't resist it.

Everyone has a photographic memory.Some just don't have film.

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2018, 09:44:44 AM »
My Maternal Grandfather put the fear of pigs in me at an early age.  He had raised pigs for slaughter all his life.  That's how a poor farmer like him was able to feed my Mother and her eight siblings.  Anyway, when I was four or five and starting to wander from his farmhouse, he FORBID me to even think about going close to his hog pen.  It was an old still sturdy wooden rail fenced area, that had a couple of pigs in it.  "If you get in that pen, they will eat you up, clothes and all, and we won't even know what happened to you."  Even my older teen-aged cousins were forbidden to go down there, let alone sit on the rail fence to watch them, for the possibility of falling in the pen.  Grandpa spoke almost with the authority of God, so we heeded his warnings.  Anyway, a lady friend of mine had some cousins move into our rural area a couple of years ago from Houston; city people.  I may have met them once.  Their new rural place had a couple acres of land, and they soon acquired a few animals, including a "darling" little orphaned piglet.  Not one of those Chinese miniature pigs, but a plain old pig.  That became the pet of the teenage female cousin.  He is now a full grown boar with tusks.  When I heard that the young gal was still going in the pen with him and petting him and stuff, I told my lady friend, that that was a disaster waiting to happen.  I do not know if you believe this or not, but I think that ALL males of any animal species, know when there is a female of any animal species, that is "in heat."  I think that it is simple biology, having witnessed it countless times with my male dogs and human females I have had around.  Well, the disaster happened yesterday.  The teenage gal went in the pen to feed the boar, and he went after her.  She was lucky she got out of the pen alive.  He stuck a tusk in her calf, and severed an artery.  Her Mother had nursing experience and contained the bleeding till the medics got there.  The way I understood it, they "stapled" the artery shut, and got her to the ER, where everything was fixed up.  She has a bunch of stitches, but is fine.  I assume that the pig met his demise when the Father got home, if he knew how to shoot it.  I have heard similar stories of people having "pet" deer and "pet" coons, that end up tearing things up.  I do not "fear" animals, but I have a big amount of respect for them.  If they are over fifty pounds, I give them their space, and I am always on guard.  If they are a "mamma" with little ones, no matter the size, I give them their space.  MM

Sometimes we learn from others experiences and sometimes we have to learn from our own. I'm pretty sure I've achieved a slightly unbalanced level (leaning towards the latter) of those and have scars that I often don't want to explain. Good to hear she's going to be O.K. Thanks for sharing.
Steve
Lifetime NRA Member
Retired in the Nevada high desert and loving life.

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2018, 10:32:26 AM »
Having shot the charging hog at 3' always sticks in my mind. I was convinced I was going to get hurt. The 41 mag almost magically jumped into my hand and emptied itself in the boar's head.  :)

eford

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2018, 12:12:52 PM »
An otherwise well-behaved farm pet or tame animal suddenly becoming mad is something I've heard a lot about. Cattle can be docile, then aggressive. It is always a bit tense when the herd of angus cows and a few young bulls approach me in the pasture when I'm shooting. They think they're going to get feed. 
Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, she walks into mine.

Every man needs to know his limits.

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2018, 02:00:45 PM »
An otherwise well-behaved farm pet or tame animal suddenly becoming mad is something I've heard a lot about. Cattle can be docile, then aggressive. It is always a bit tense when the herd of angus cows and a few young bulls approach me in the pasture when I'm shooting. They think they're going to get feed. The noise doesn't bother them. Simply driving away and coming back will sometimes get them to disperse. I still don't like the idea of a lot of hooves behind me as I'm laying on the ground.
  I have been bitten by a horse ,dogs and a bitch, but that idea is scary!   

PARA45

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2018, 02:12:45 PM »
Bad, do we know the same woman????  LMAO!!!!!

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2018, 04:46:37 PM »
Since y'all mentioned "riding" pigs, I remember other kids doing that.  But I had the fear of "Grandpa's words" in my mind for years.  Consequently, I have never been on the back of a pig.  Perhaps the sows could be trusted if they did not have piglets around.  Wasn't there a scene in the Hannibal Lecter sequel, where they fed someone to a herd of pigs.  I think that pigs should be sent to Iraq, and used as a "training aid" to get the rag-heads to start to act better.  Supposedly Black Jack Pershing used pigs as a training aid in the Philippines during the Insurrection.  Snopes said that that story was not true, but I think that Snopes was just trying to be politically correct, and not upset anyone.  The story of his then young Lieutenant named George Patton. driving into headquarters with three dead banditos strapped to the hood of his Dodge Touring Sedan was witnessed by too many people for it to be debunked.  That was when Pershing was chasing after Pancho Villa in Mexico.  That incident was the unofficial first use of a motor vehicle in a skirmish, by the U.S. Army.  MM