Spike Camp

Reloading for weatherbys

Reloading for weatherbys
« on: December 11, 2018, 11:31:40 AM »
Hey new to the forum and weatherbys I just got my first 257 weatherby in the accuguard and being fairly new to reloading also was just wondering if there is any special steps to do when reloading for the freebore in the weatherbys?

Thanks

sschefer

Re: Reloading for weatherbys
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2018, 12:27:33 PM »
Hey new to the forum and weatherbys I just got my first 257 weatherby in the accuguard and being fairly new to reloading also was just wondering if there is any special steps to do when reloading for the freebore in the weatherbys?

Thanks

Belted cases don't take kindly to repeated  full length resizes so it's best to neck size only and set neck tension to .001-.002. Neck tension is determined with the following formula: neck thickness x 2 + measured bullet diameter - tension - .001 for spring back. Example: .015+.015+.257 - .001 - .001 will give you a final neck diameter of .285. You should get a neck sizing die that uses a bushing and buy the bushing size that is the result of your calculations.

Make sure you measure the diameter of the bullet you are going to be using. The box may say .257 but they may be .256. You'll need separate bushings for each bullet diameter you come across.

When setting the COL (Combined Overall Length) I would advise using whatever the Load Manual calls for. You can certainly build a round where the Ogive sits .020 off the lands which may improve accuracy but you also may not be able to fit the round into the magazine. That's not always the case but it can happen. It is not uncommon for hunters to fill the magazine with factory ammo and then hand load their custom length round. This puts the most accurate round in the chamber for the critical first shot and then the remaining rounds are there as backups.

Finally, when you go out to test your new loads, shoot 3 rounds of factory ammo first, let the rifle cool and then shoot your new ammo.

If you're total obsessed with reloading you'll eventually take the process to a whole new level but that can come later.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2018, 12:29:41 PM by sschefer »

badsection

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2018, 04:19:11 PM »
Stick with the overall length and loads  the manual suggests.  Just starting out, keep it simple to start!  :)

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2018, 05:11:24 PM »
It is a wonder I ever even hit the target with my loads. ;D No, there are no special steps.Reload like you do your other non Weatherby calibers.Start with book COL and adjust out and in to get your most accurate after you find the powder and charge that gives you good groups.
Roger
Faster horses,younger women,older whiskey,and more money.

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2018, 07:30:02 PM »
It is a wonder I ever even hit the target with my loads. ;D No, there are no special steps.Reload like you do your other non Weatherby calibers.Start with book COL and adjust out and in to get your most accurate after you find the powder and charge that gives you good groups.

+1

Rob
cfp-223REM
accumark-223Rem
ultralite-240 Wby
synthetic-240 Wby
synthetic-257 Wby
ultralite-270 Wby
fibermark-270 Wby
accumark-270 Wby
accumark-7mm Wby
stainless-300 Wby
fibermark-300Wby
accumark-30378 Wby
fibermark-340 Wby
accumark-338378 Wby
custom-375 Wby
DGR-378 Wby
DGR-416 Wby
custom DGR-460 Wby

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2018, 08:08:44 PM »
Thanks guys I've got some of the factory 110 accubonds to shot through it first to just get a feel for the rifle then experimenting some, planning a antelope trip for 2019 and hope I can get comfortable enough with the gun to take it along with me.

224KING

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2018, 05:45:50 AM »
Read manuals.Get a subscription to Handloader magazine.Don't overthink yourself.It's not rocket science,but it's not making lemonade either.
Sorry... Yesterday was the last and final day for any and all complaints whatsoever.

I try to avoid temptation unless I can't resist it.

Everyone has a photographic memory.Some just don't have film.

Blackbear3

• In God We Trust!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2018, 07:08:45 AM »
Thanks guys I've got some of the factory 110 accubonds to shot through it first to just get a feel for the rifle then experimenting some, planning a antelope trip for 2019 and hope I can get comfortable enough with the gun to take it along with me.

My Accuguard in 257 Weatherby shoots lights out with the 110 Accubonds, I'd be shocked if your not using yours for your prairie goat hunt next year!! Keep us informed on your progress.
We stand for the Flag, and we kneel for the fallen!!!

Doug-NRA Life Member

sschefer

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2018, 08:09:14 AM »
Read manuals.Get a subscription to Handloader magazine.Don't overthink yourself.It's not rocket science,but it's not making lemonade either.

Agree. If you already reload then go ahead but if not and you're only using this rifle for hunting a couple of times a year then it makes better sense to use Weatherby factory loads. Speed goats are not big game and a 110g bullet is more than adequate. Hornady and Nosler make good ammunition using either ELD-X or Accubond bullets. It's more economical to shoot than the Weatherby Ammunition. I personally prefer the Weatherby ammo but that's just me.

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2018, 09:18:57 AM »
I agree with everything you posted here except the subscription to Handloader magazine.  I subscribed to it for a few years, but dropped it about 30 years ago.  What am I missing?
NRA Endowment Life Member

224KING

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2018, 08:19:04 PM »
I think it's a great way to learn things as you get started.I agree after a few years they do start going over things already talked about,but that's why I think it's good for someone just starting out.As you learn it always gives you new things to think about.If and when you think it's repetitious then drop the subscription.
Sorry... Yesterday was the last and final day for any and all complaints whatsoever.

« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2018, 09:11:05 PM »
Thanks for all the replies. The gun will be used for speed goats but also whitetail here in Virginia and possibly a muley hunt but I've got to get enough trigger time behind it to have confidence in it. I've used accubonds in several other guns in the past and was probably gonna try and stay with them but the eld-x is tempting just ain't read enough about them to know how they hold up as far as retaining weight.

224KING

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2018, 01:25:39 AM »
For the animals you have listed you are after,I don't think that you should worry much about the killing power of any hunting bullet,on the market,out of a 300.The poorest weight retaining,hunting, bullet on the market will kill them out of your 300.