Spike Camp

vanguard rifles

ann b

vanguard rifles
« on: December 13, 2018, 03:10:57 AM »
i see that they make a 26 in barrel in 300 roy.do you as shooters see much difference between it and a mark v as far as quality goes and the way thay shoot?my friend wants one but can not afford a mark v.he wants the26 inch barrel.
gary b

sschefer

Re: vanguard rifles
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2018, 10:03:51 AM »
i see that they make a 26 in barrel in 300 roy.do you as shooters see much difference between it and a mark v as far as quality goes and the way thay shoot?my friend wants one but can not afford a mark v.he wants the26 inch barrel.
gary b

The Vanguards are fine rifles. With a Mark V, you get a stronger action and the magnums have 9 lug bolts vs. 6 lug on the Vanguard Magnums. I guess if you were to compare another rifle to the Vanguard you could use the Remington 700 as an example except the Vanguard is much better in my opinion and I do own both.

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2018, 11:02:44 AM »
Your friend will be happy with the Vanguard. They are excellent rifles, especially for the money.

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2018, 11:43:47 AM »
Your friend will be happy with the Vanguard. They are excellent rifles, especially for the money.
+ 1  Buy it
Roger
Faster horses,younger women,older whiskey,and more money.

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2018, 03:31:31 PM »
+ 1  Buy it

+2, buy it. I have 2 Vanguards and 2 Mark Vs and they all shoot lights out.
Doug

Stacy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2018, 05:55:27 PM »
I own 2 Vanguards and they both shoot well. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one. 

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2018, 06:03:05 PM »
I have a both also. My neighbor uses my Vanguard and he loves it. I have shot some really small groups with it too. It isn’t picky on what you put in it either. When I started handloading for it I had a hard time finding what shot good because all of the loads for it shot really good. I settled on loads that are pretty warm just because. Vanguard rifles are a real good rifle.
Chris Kiefner

NRA Life Member

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2018, 06:31:01 PM »
Not to be rude but the Mark V magnums have nine locking lugs, Mark V non-magnum calibers have six locking lugs, and all Vanguards have two locking lugs. 
Nothing is better than a Weatherby, big bore magnum, or a Colt.

sschefer

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2018, 08:02:29 PM »
Not to be rude but the Mark V magnums have nine locking lugs, Mark V non-magnum calibers have six locking lugs, and all Vanguards have two locking lugs.
I stand corrected. I was sure it was 9 and 6 for the Marks and 6 and 2 for the Vanguards. I just checked the Weatherby site and they only show a 2 lug bolt for all Vanguard calibers including Magnums and even the 375 H&H. Makes you wonder why they still offer the 9 and 6 on the Marks.

« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2018, 08:21:58 PM »
That is not rude but just the truth.
Roger
Faster horses,younger women,older whiskey,and more money.

sschefer

« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2018, 08:23:49 PM »
That is not rude but just the truth.

He was being polite and I appreciated it.

« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2018, 08:18:33 AM »
gary b

Please note that the 26" barrel is a recent change. There are still many 24" barrel that are new in box floating out there.
There won't be much of a difference in ballistics....some but not much.
However, the 26" barrel Stainless Synthetic that I just ordered is on it's way.

There are very few rifles that are of the same quality as the Vanguard....especially in it's price class. I would place a Browning X-bolt or a Tikka t3x in the same quality. The Remington 700...probably not.

As far as the Mark V, I always wanted one too. I did not like the Vanguard series 1 when I looked at them. I do like the series 2.

224KING

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2018, 08:27:03 AM »
 Makes you wonder why they still offer the 9 and 6 on the Marks.
[/quote]

That's what makes them the strongest action on the market.The 2 lug Vanguard is not
Retirement; The art of doing very little,very slowly

Expert; Someone who knows so much about so little

If you live in the swirl of the drain,inevitably you'll wind up in the cesspool.

Remember 10534

Sorry... Yesterday was the last and final day for any and all complaints whatsoever.

sschefer

« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2018, 08:36:25 AM »
Makes you wonder why they still offer the 9 and 6 on the Marks.

That's what makes them the strongest action on the market.The 2 lug Vanguard is not
[/quote]
Point well made, if you don't care about haveing that then the Vanguard is the answer.

224KING

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2018, 09:09:01 AM »
I don't know that it is not caring about the strength of the action.I think it's more the price of the rifle and you still get the Weatherby name on it.That's why people by Vannies.
Retirement; The art of doing very little,very slowly

Expert; Someone who knows so much about so little

If you live in the swirl of the drain,inevitably you'll wind up in the cesspool.

Remember 10534

Sorry... Yesterday was the last and final day for any and all complaints whatsoever.