Spike Camp

First Hunt with my new rifle.

First Hunt with my new rifle.
« on: December 13, 2018, 08:26:45 PM »
After 6 months of waiting I was finally able to take my rifle out to hunt something other than paper.
Back in May I bought an Accuguard in .257 Wby Mag. with 26" bbl and a Leupold VX-3i to top it off.
We hunted the weekend after Thanksgiving on a ranch we lease about 20 miles south of Llano, TX.
It was warm for the season the first couple of days but I was able to shoot a few hogs trying to eat up the deers' corn. The biggest of them is in the included pics, a sow we estimated at 150-175lbs.
On the last hunting day of the trip the weather had cooled and the deer were moving again.  I was able to take this 10pt not long before the feeder went off in the afternoon.  He seemed to be a fighter... Broken tines (could have been a 12pt it seems) and a few cuts on his back legs. We don't weigh em but I'd guess he was about 120lbs. Certainly no monster but decent size for a Hill Country buck.
The shot was about 80 yards broadside.  I was shooting factory loaded 110gr Nosler Accubonds. My entry point was just above the elbow, in line with the front leg. Exit was in nearly the same location on the opposite side.  The hide showed very little damage, a dime sized entrance and pencil-hole exit. The carcass, however, told a different story.
The entrance wound post-skinning showed a half dollar sized hole thru to the lungs with the back portion of the upper leg obliterated. The exit wound was the size of a quarter with very little meat loss.
Internally, the lungs were non-existent. Literally soup. The heart was free floating with no vessels attached. Everything south of the diaphragm was completely untouched. Based on my point of aim I couldn't have asked for better results.  Thanks to all the posters out there who unknowingly built up my knowledge base and helped make this hunt a success. I'll be shooting Weatherby for a very long time.

Re: First Hunt with my new rifle.
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2018, 08:38:32 PM »
So the photos are too big too post. I'll try to figure that out one day

DW5

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2018, 10:38:25 PM »
Good looking buck! ( Iím assuming thatís him in your profile pic). Iíll be hunting down that way this weekend, Mason area.

Congrats on a fine rifle and choice of caliber as well!
You cant catch a fish without a hook in the water....

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2018, 02:51:38 AM »
Congratulations on a nice buck and sounds like a very fun hunt. Thanks for sharing.
The .257 is amazing 😎😎
Mike

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2018, 05:48:08 AM »
Great first hunt with the 257. Congratulations and thanks for the story of the hunt.
Roger
Faster horses,younger women,older whiskey,and more money.

224KING

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2018, 08:11:00 AM »
The 257 strikes again.And again,and again,and again....
Sorry... Yesterday was the last and final day for any and all complaints whatsoever.

I try to avoid temptation unless I can't resist it.

Everyone has a photographic memory.Some just don't have film.

Blackbear3

• In God We Trust!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2018, 05:47:51 PM »
Thanks for the story!!! If you don't figure out the pictures, ask for help in another post. Congratulations on the buck, you got to Love a 257 Weatherby for deer hunting. Roys favorite!!!
We stand for the Flag, and we kneel for the fallen!!!

Doug-NRA Life Member

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2018, 06:54:27 AM »
I think I found a workaround to post images from my phone

« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2018, 06:58:09 AM »
Yep that worked.  The sow was shot at about 100yrd thru the neck. DRT.
The buck made it about 15 yards on three legs. You can see the small exit on the left shoulder, just above the shadow of the antlers.

Yeah that's him in the profile pic, DW5
« Last Edit: December 15, 2018, 07:00:57 AM by Le Roy 257 »

sschefer

« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2018, 07:11:56 AM »
Well done!

« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2018, 05:57:53 PM »
Nice Buck Good shooting

Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2018, 05:39:13 AM »
Congrats, if I ever pry my .257 out of my neighbors hands I may use it on deer also. He loves it and says if he would ever miss something or put a bad shot on a deer it would be his fault not the rifle. He says its a laser. Considering he is Amish itís funny hearing him say itís like a laser.
Chris Kiefner

NRA Life Member

« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2018, 01:19:40 PM »
Must be a wind powered laser?

eford

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2018, 05:59:18 PM »
Great weekend. Thatís a nice buck, and It doesnít matter where it came from. The internal work done by the Accubond is a great example of how those bullets get it done.
Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, she walks into mine.

Every man needs to know his limits.

« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2018, 05:33:08 PM »
Thanks eford. In most situations I would place my shot about an inch further back and an inch or so higher. I wanted to test the 110 at close range thru meat and see what it was up for.  It broke bone on the hog and kept on truckin so I knew a pass thru was likely.  Just wanted to see what sort of meat loss I should expect on whitetail shoulder shots. Given the range and point of impact I felt it was acceptable.