Spike Camp

Mark V - failure to extract

Mark V - failure to extract
« on: December 16, 2018, 12:03:34 PM »
So, I bought a used, but excellent Mark V Ultra Lightweight in 270 Roy.  Went out to the range yesterday for the first time ... hmmmm, would work the bolt, but the shell would not extract.  Re worked the bolt, THEN the empty would extract.  I was shooting just std. factory ammo -- Wby. (Norma) in 130 gr Spitzer and 150 gr. Partitions, as well as some Federal 130 gr. Trophy Bonded Tip.

Bad extractor?  Tight chamber?  I've come seeking some insight and help.
Roy was a genius.  Period.

• View Profile
Re: Mark V - failure to extract
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2018, 12:23:37 PM »
Couple of questions
1. Does it cycle the rounds thru without firing good?
2. When fired is the bolt had to lift?

Reasons for questions
1. Wondering if the  Camming action is doing something with the extractor

2. If you have a tight chamber and the loads are hot the bolt would be hard to lift. If it isn't hard to lift the first thing l would do is clean, than lube the bolt face and extractor with Rem oil

Is it leaving a mark of any kind on the rim?

Mike

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2018, 01:10:29 PM »
I was just manually loading one round at a time, as I was also doing some sighting in.  Didn't try magazine feeding.

Bolt lift felt normal ... no lag, drag, stiffness, etc.  Just that when I pulled the bolt back after firing, there was no empty in the extractor.

Good point about checking the case rims ... hold on.  Hmmm, nope!  No scratches, dings, nicks ... nothing indicating extractor is damaging the case.

I think I'm going to have to inspect the bolt face and extractor, and clean it as you suggest.

257 Shooter

• 257 Shooter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2018, 02:12:40 PM »
Yes, I'd look for crud under the extractor. Sounds like it's not snapping over the case rim. Hard to tell. Good luck.

sschefer

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2018, 03:45:30 PM »
The most common cause for this is a sticky or damaged ejector. Sometimes just a drop of oil and then working it with an empty case is all it needs. I clean mine with spray contact cleaner and then I blow it out with compressed air. Once it's cleaned I hold the bolt upright and put one drop of gun oil around the ejector and work it in with an empty case. If the ejector is bent then you'll have to replace it.

224KING

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2018, 05:38:05 PM »
Clean chamber
Sorry... Yesterday was the last and final day for any and all complaints whatsoever.

I try to avoid temptation unless I can't resist it.

Everyone has a photographic memory.Some just don't have film.

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2018, 07:58:36 PM »
As usual, I find great advice here!  Will try the bolt face touch-up and lube recommended, then snapping an empty case ... and will report back.

Hey, 224KING ... I know this is gonna sound like a dorky question, but how do you clean the chamber?  I used to have a chamber brush for my old M1 Garand -- sort of a cone-shaped brush that you'd turn in the chamber.  I'd really appreciate some "how to" advice on that.

224KING

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2018, 03:13:26 AM »
Build up a copper brush with paper towels or use a 20 gauge barrel swab maybe.
Sorry... Yesterday was the last and final day for any and all complaints whatsoever.

I try to avoid temptation unless I can't resist it.

Everyone has a photographic memory.Some just don't have film.

dubyam

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2018, 12:41:16 PM »
I've long used a 20ga nylon brush with patches wrapped around it for chamber cleaning. Seems to work well, and for magnums, you may need an extra layer of patch or two.
I believe this is a practical world, and in it I can count only on what I can earn.  Therefore I believe in work, hard work. - The Auburn Creed
The older I get, the less stock I place in what men say, and the more I place in what men do. - Andrew Carnegie

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2018, 08:36:42 AM »
My guess is also dirt and gunk build up on the extractor. It has to pivot so something is probably interfering there. Good time to make sure the ejector is clean too.

sschefer

« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2018, 08:54:33 AM »
Most sporting goods stores with a decent supply will sell chamber brushes and chamber swabs or you can get them on Amazon. When the swabs get dirty just wash them in dish soap and rinse thoroughly. They last a long time.

« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2018, 10:58:23 AM »
So, I bought a used, but excellent Mark V Ultra Lightweight in 270 Roy.  Went out to the range yesterday for the first time ... hmmmm, would work the bolt, but the shell would not extract.  Re worked the bolt, THEN the empty would extract.  I was shooting just std. factory ammo -- Wby. (Norma) in 130 gr Spitzer and 150 gr. Partitions, as well as some Federal 130 gr. Trophy Bonded Tip.

Bad extractor?  Tight chamber?  I've come seeking some insight and help.

« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2018, 11:04:12 AM »
My 270 mag did the exact same thing and my gunsmith replaced the extractor spring and solved the problem. Haven't had any issues since.