Spike Camp

.375H&H Vanguard

Re: .375H&H Vanguard
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2018, 06:39:18 PM »
They started showing more and more in inventory pretty much after I bought mine. Just seemed like every time I had the money for one the inventory dried up. I have had mine for a few months now. I think I may try to buy one in the future but for right now I am still happy with the deal I got on my rifle.
Chris Kiefner

NRA Life Member

« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2018, 06:13:27 PM »
Nice thing about a .375 H&H is that it is only a reamer pass from being a .375 Weatherby.

« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2018, 04:43:20 PM »
They started showing more and more in inventory pretty much after I bought mine. Just seemed like every time I had the money for one the inventory dried up. I have had mine for a few months now. I think I may try to buy one in the future but for right now I am still happy with the deal I got on my rifle.

When I emailed Weatherby with a suggestion for making it in .458 Win Mag and stainless for Alaska they were almost surprised that someone had one. Said it wasn’t a big seller. I’m just one of those guys that doesn’t feel complete without the grand old Holland & Holland.

danno50

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2018, 08:31:39 PM »
Around Christmas time last year I cashed in all my Bass Pro gift cards to get a new Weatherby vanguard. I had pretty much made up my mind to get the 375 H&H, with no special need in mind, just figured I'd use it a while, and then pass down to my grandson. Anyway I got to the gun counter and asked if they had a 375, (I knew I could order one if they didn't) and they had one in the back. The guy brought it out and I liked it, I mean whats not to like about having one of the most famous big game calibers in the world. Just for grins I asked what other calibers they had on hand, and the guy said 257 Wby. and time and my mind kinda froze. I went home with the 257. Hoping for more gift cards this X-mas and I'll go after that 375 again. :)   
DosEquisShooter

sschefer

« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2018, 08:41:39 PM »
Nice thing about a .375 H&H is that it is only a reamer pass from being a .375 Weatherby.

This thread intrigued me so I did some research and you are correct. Some say you can shoot .375 H&H ammo in the .375 Weatherby and it will fireform to the Weatherby and then you can reload it to Weatherby .375. Not sure if that's true but it seems like it would work.

« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2018, 09:35:40 PM »
257 Weatherby strikes again.Not on an animal but on Dan. ;D Here's hoping you get the gift cards to get the 375 this year.
Roger
Faster horses,younger women,older whiskey,and more money.

« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2018, 11:10:59 PM »

This thread intrigued me so I did some research and you are correct. Some say you can shoot .375 H&H ammo in the .375 Weatherby and it will fireform to the Weatherby and then you can reload it to Weatherby .375. Not sure if that's true but it seems like it would work.

I do it all the time, most of the brass for my 375 Wby is fireformed 375 H&H. Actually, both blue box federal 375 H&H 270 and 300 gr ammo, is more accurate than the factory Weatherby 375 Wby ammo, in my rifle.

Rob

« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2018, 06:22:38 AM »
Time and my mind kinda froze,, that's just a normal reaction to the .257

I have shot a couple 375 H&H rifles. Great caliber

« Reply #23 on: December 23, 2018, 08:54:06 AM »
Great calibre. I shoot 300 and 350gr North Forks of all designs for DG. Worked great so far. Mine is a Classic SS Mod70 (New Haven) now in an Echols Legend. Congratulations on a classic calibre.
I shoot cases with a belt because I feel the other cartridges need to pull their trousers up.

PARA45

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 23, 2018, 09:24:21 AM »
I have a CZ 550 Safari Magnum in 375 H&H that I bought from Bad.  Love the caliber, and love the fact that it's over 100 years old.  Planning on taking it to Africa for my next safari.  ;D ;D

Danno, nothing wrong with going home with a 257 Wby.  Tough decision you were faced with.  I hope you get a lot of gift cards so you can get the 375  ;D ;D
Senator John Kennedy  " If you support defunding the police, you've tested positive for stupid".

« Reply #25 on: December 23, 2018, 11:02:24 AM »
Oscar:Are you going for a Buff this time?
Roger
Faster horses,younger women,older whiskey,and more money.

BB340

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 23, 2018, 12:40:55 PM »
I have a CZ 550 Safari Magnum in 375 H&H that I bought from Bad.  Love the caliber, and love the fact that it's over 100 years old.  Planning on taking it to Africa for my next safari.  ;D ;D

Danno, nothing wrong with going home with a 257 Wby.  Tough decision you were faced with.  I hope you get a lot of gift cards so you can get the 375  ;D ;D

When are we going Oscar???  ;D
I am planning on taking my Mark V DGR .375 H&H on my next trip too. It will be for hippo and croc. Plus some bigger plains game like Eland.
The .375 H&H is made for Africa. Just about every PH has one and ammo is available everywhere. So if something happens to your ammo during the trip over then one can find some very easily.
Aussie gun nut.

« Reply #27 on: December 24, 2018, 11:08:49 AM »

It's true but you'll lose a little performance. But if you're just looking to make the brass it won't matter.

« Reply #28 on: December 24, 2018, 11:13:28 AM »
Nothing wrong with the .257 Wby!  But yes, you are obligated to get the .375H&H now.  Imagine the disappointment when that .375 thought it had a home and then-poof! It was gone!

« Reply #29 on: December 25, 2018, 09:59:09 AM »
My Dad has an early post 64 Winchester Model 70 in .375 H&H and it's fun to shoot and doesn't beat you up at all.  The stock isn't fancy, the grain is more along the lines of a 2x4, but boy does that shoot well.  He has an old steel tube Weaver 4 power scope on it and it will give between 1/2 and 3/4 in groups.  In the past he's used Winchester 270 grain Power Points and Remington 270 grain Cor-Lok bullets and the odd thing is they have the same point of impact as my hand loads I make for it now with Hornady's 270 grain Spire Points and 65.0 grains of IMR 3031 with a Winchester Large Rifle primer.  That's an old load but it accurate and there's no issues with it in his rifle so I never had a reason to change it.Over the years I shot two doe and a spike buck which had one inch spikes (which is a legal doe) that I never saw on it.  Shooting that spike was an eye opening experience in that I caught it standing and shot it in the white spot on the neck and it literally flipped the deer over onto it's back.  I saved the spikes and a few years ago I made necklaces for my daughters with them and a buckskin boot lace.  The only draw back to that rifle is it's not one you want to walk with all day long because at the end of the day your shoulders look like you were born on a side of a mountain because your one shoulder is hanging lower than the other. 
Nothing is better than a Weatherby, big bore magnum, or a Colt.