Spike Camp

Mark V Ultra Lightweight Misfires

Re: Mark V Ultra Lightweight Misfires
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2019, 12:40:42 PM »
Sounds good. Thanks again for everyone's help and input. I will go do some testing and update the thread if I can nail down the problem.

« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2019, 08:19:27 PM »
I think dubyam is on to something with the firing pin protrusion.  I've always put my firing pin back together the way Weatherby recommends, and I've never had a problem.

http://www.weatherby.com/media/weatherby/manuals/MARK%20V%20-%20GERMANY.pdf
BPH

« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2019, 06:17:11 AM »
One other possibility is there was a piece of something inside the bolt body causing a partial obstruction of the firing pin hole.  I'd take a can of canned air,put it over the firing pin hole and blow it out.  The firing pin looks fine to me and doesn't appear to have any damage or shiny spots which I would expect if it was hitting the sides of the firing pin hole.
Nothing is better than a Weatherby, big bore magnum, or a Colt.

224KING

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2019, 10:30:34 AM »
One other possibility is there was a piece of something inside the bolt body causing a partial obstruction of the firing pin hole.  I'd take a can of canned air,put it over the firing pin hole and blow it out.  The firing pin looks fine to me and doesn't appear to have any damage or shiny spots which I would expect if it was hitting the sides of the firing pin hole.

+1
Sorry... Yesterday was the last and final day for any and all complaints whatsoever.

I try to avoid temptation unless I can't resist it.

Everyone has a photographic memory.Some just don't have film.

« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2019, 10:38:16 AM »

Good catch Chris. Perhaps the firing pin hole was not reamed. I should have had him check that because it is something I do all the time when I'm truing a bolt up. Just slipped my mind for some reason.
Weatherby Rifles:
M5 USA .257
M5 USA 6.5-300
M5 USA 300
M5 German 300
M5 .308 TRR
VG .308
VG 270
Other:
Win M70 30-06
Brn XBolt HC Speed 300 WSM
McMil G30 Dynasty 270 WSM
Ber B-14 HMR 6.5 CM
Mar 1895 SBL 45-70
Win 94 pre 64 30-30
4 AR-15 Match 5.56
2 AR-15 Match Wylde .223
1 AR-10 Match .308

« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2019, 10:44:51 AM »
It could be an out of adjustment firing pin protrusion. It's not well known, but the protrusion of the pin on Mark V rifles is adjustable within a narrow range. Here's a link discussing it:

http://www.weatherby.dk/showthread.php?5045-Firing-Pin-Protrusion

This was my guess. Firingpin protrusion.

Also see if the pin fits into the hole in the bolt face freely from the front.

Lastly measure headspace on a fired case and new ammo. Some factory ammo is very short case head to shoulder. In that case the firing pin energy simply drives the case forward in the chamber. This is why I favour a belted cartridge if shooting factory ammo for dangerous game.

Many factory chambers are cut to maximum spec to accommodate all ammo and factory ammo produced to min specs to fit all chambers. Lots of potential slop in that arrangement.

I see a post elsewhere from Weatherby regarding customer service etc. and their move. I also suggest a call.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2019, 10:55:01 AM by African Leadwood »
I shoot cases with a belt because I feel the other cartridges need to pull their trousers up.

« Reply #21 on: Yesterday at 04:28:22 PM »
Being able to release the trigger with the bolt open is normal. Itís how you uncock the rifle without dry firing it. If the advice given here by others doesnít fix it by all means CALL them. Youíll get it taken of.