Spike Camp

New Vanguard Camilla Owner

New Vanguard Camilla Owner
« on: January 04, 2019, 02:40:37 PM »
Hello All, First post here.

I just wanted to say how happy my daughter is with her new Camilla .243     We spent a few hours with her Grandfather (My Dad) mounting a new Leupold VX-2 3-9 scope, Tally rings, and sighting it in the other day.  I brought it home, cleaned it up and went to the range for her to get some time shooting the gun at targets.

I took the first 5 shots and got just over a 1" group at 100 yards, she shot five and got a 3-4" group.   Did a quick cleaning and shot some more. We both had such a great time!!!   My last three shots were at 200 yards and got just over a 2" group.    I'm very happy with that from this rifle and am sure that grouping would be even better on a decent bench and a better shooter.  We love this gun.  I would say it's a bit small for me, but for her it is absolutely spot on!!! 

Gotta say, I'm a bit jealous of hers and now I want a Weatherby for myself!   Happy New Year everyone!

Re: New Vanguard Camilla Owner
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2019, 03:03:11 PM »
Hello All, First post here.

I just wanted to say how happy my daughter is with her new Camilla .243     We spent a few hours with her Grandfather (My Dad) mounting a new Leupold VX-2 3-9 scope, Tally rings, and sighting it in the other day.  I brought it home, cleaned it up and went to the range for her to get some time shooting the gun at targets.

I took the first 5 shots and got just over a 1" group at 100 yards, she shot five and got a 3-4" group.   Did a quick cleaning and shot some more. We both had such a great time!!!   My last three shots were at 200 yards and got just over a 2" group.    I'm very happy with that from this rifle and am sure that grouping would be even better on a decent bench and a better shooter.  We love this gun.  I would say it's a bit small for me, but for her it is absolutely spot on!!! 

Gotta say, I'm a bit jealous of hers and now I want a Weatherby for myself!   Happy New Year everyone!

Welcome aboard. Weatherby really hit the mark with the Camilla. The groups will start to tighten up after about 50 rounds and normal cleanings. If you like the Camilla and want one like it then the Mark V Subalpine is it's light, heavy weight brother.
Weatherby Rifles:
M5 USA .257
M5 USA 6.5-300
M5 USA 300
M5 German 300
M5 .308 TRR
VG .308
VG 270
Other:
Win M70 30-06
Brn XBolt HC Speed 300 WSM
McMil G30 Dynasty 270 WSM
Ber B-14 HMR 6.5 CM
Mar 1895 SBL 45-70
Win 94 pre 64 30-30
4 AR-15 Match 5.56
2 AR-15 Match Wylde .223
1 AR-10 Match .308

Grouchy

• Let those without sin cast the first stone
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2019, 03:03:37 PM »
Welcome to the nation!  Weatherbys are addictive.   ;D

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2019, 03:08:07 PM »
Welcome aboard. Weatherby really hit the mark with the Camilla. The groups will start to tighten up after about 50 rounds and normal cleanings. If you like the Camilla and want one like it then the Mark V Subalpine is it's light, heavy weight brother.

Thank you for the reply!   My Dad owns Mark V's in the following (257WM, 270WM, 7MMWM, and 300WM) and I've hunted with them all except for his beloved 300. 

I'm kinda partial to the .257WM myself, but I can't decide if I want to get a Vanguard, or splurge a bit and get Mark V.    It is possible I could buy my Dad's.  haha.

John

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2019, 03:09:07 PM »
Welcome to the nation!  Weatherbys are addictive.   ;D

Yes they are!!!  Seeing her shooting there with that beautiful Camilla melts my heart!  It's a stunning rifle.  She loves it.  Can't wait to take her hunting.

Blackbear3

• In God We Trust!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2019, 03:16:23 PM »
Welcome to the Nation!!! Hopefully you will be sharing photos of her with an animal she harvests this year.
We stand for the Flag, and we kneel for the fallen!!!

Doug-NRA Life Member

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2019, 03:17:40 PM »
Welcome to the Nation!!! Hopefully you will be sharing photos of her with an animal she harvests this year.

With some luck we sure will!  Thank you. 

BB340

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2019, 10:00:38 PM »
Congrats on a fine rifle for your daughter. The Camillas are fantastic rifles. I bought one in .223 for my girlfriend and I liked it so got myself one in 7mm-08.
You sure will have fun watching your daughter learn how to shoot it and her accuracy grow. If you can afford to get the Mark V then I urge you to get one over a vanguard. But as others have said, Weatherby rifles are highly addictive and once you have one you'll want another and another and another haha.
Welcome to the Nation too.
Aussie gun nut.

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2019, 08:07:13 AM »
Congrats on a fine rifle for your daughter. The Camillas are fantastic rifles. I bought one in .223 for my girlfriend and I liked it so got myself one in 7mm-08.
You sure will have fun watching your daughter learn how to shoot it and her accuracy grow. If you can afford to get the Mark V then I urge you to get one over a vanguard. But as others have said, Weatherby rifles are highly addictive and once you have one you'll want another and another and another haha.
Welcome to the Nation too.

Probably why my Dad has 5 Weatherby Mark V's. Starting with his 300 from the 1970's.  haha     I've hunted many years with them,  the 257WM being my favorite.   I think there is a new one in my future.    Thanks for the reply!

PARA45

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2019, 01:45:21 PM »
Welcome aboard, and congrats on getting a fine Weatherby.  Like others have said it, Weatherby rifles are addictive, and not a bad addiction to have.  ;D ;D

DW5

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2019, 03:14:14 PM »
Thatís great johnnymossville! Canít wait to se some successful pics from the field with the Camilla... post some pics of whatever Bee you get yourself as well!
You cant catch a fish without a hook in the water....