Spike Camp

Short barrel buckshot patterns

Re: Short barrel buckshot patterns
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2019, 08:38:10 PM »
I had thought all my life that: shorter barrel automatically equals wider pattern, but my testing this past weekend did not bear that out. Although full house buckshot loads are devastating, I do think the Minishells are great for close range defense in the house because of less noise and penetration through walls. Figure this - those 2 3/4" or 3" buckshot rounds were designed to take deer out to about 50 yards. Shooting a thug across your living room at 5 yards does not require that level of power to do massive damage. Check out this video guys, educational for sure.

This is why I added a short shotgun (my hunting shotguns are too damn long for inside) to my defense toolbox!
Some like cologne, I like the smell of gunpowder.

« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2019, 10:02:25 PM »
Great informational Video Tex. Thanks for sharing.
Roger
Faster horses,younger women,older whiskey,and more money.

Grouchy

• Let those without sin cast the first stone
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2019, 02:29:23 PM »
Just in case you have never had someone under your roof die from a gunshot, I have.  The point blank .357 mag 125gr. from a short barreled S&W model 19 penetrated 2 layers of drywall and 2 walls of tile and fell on the floor AFTER penetrating a human skull.  It was a non expanding bullet.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2019, 03:26:59 AM by Grouchy »

« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2019, 04:05:35 PM »
It seems you have made the correct choice in going with the short barrel shotgun with buckshot Tex.
Roger

« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2019, 05:13:28 PM »
Plus, one helluva fun range toy Roger! I recall you also have one of these beasts, except yours is prettier than mine LOL. If you ever got stuck on the side of the road in the middle of nowhere (hell, anywhere) one of these would make a good friend to have around there too.

« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2019, 06:23:06 PM »
Pretty never made any gun shoot better than another. Lol I did try the Challenger short shells I ordered from Brownells and had no problems with them. They are a good bit cheaper than the Aguila minis.
Roger

zonie

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2019, 09:56:28 AM »
Years ago shotgun hulls were skived and shortened to around 2 " or so,  these are shot in not exactly stock  semi auto shotguns used in competition steel plate shooting for fun,  these hulls were hand skived and re-loaded to whatever you wanted, so the idea is the same as re-loading for accuracy in a rifle, but in a shotgun.  most of the stuff I seen were smaller shot when shooting uspsa poppers.  It will knock the dog snot out of a steel popper so I have no doubt it will work for home defense. the whole purpose of this was to increase magazine capacity without lengthening either barrels or aftermarket tubes.  Of course these guy's used speed loaders, usually 11 shot or 14 shot skived or more. 
« Last Edit: January 09, 2019, 10:00:59 AM by zonie »

« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2019, 12:05:16 PM »
Roger, I have not seen those Challenger shells with buckshot, just 7 1/2 birdshot. Anybody know if you get them loaded with buckshot?