Spike Camp

New member, just purchased new in box Vanguard S2, need scope help

dubyam

• View Profile
Re: New member, just purchased new in box Vanguard S2, need scope help
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2019, 06:10:33 AM »
It would require returning the 30mm rings for 1", but you will be hard pressed to buy better glass in a better configuration for anything under $600 than this Meopta:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1050801-REG/meopta_598370_meopro_3_9x40_z_plex.html

It is gin clear, bright, and will track well. The power range is well suited to the ranges one might be shooting a 308Win sporter style rifle, and it will be hard to destroy.
I believe this is a practical world, and in it I can count only on what I can earn.  Therefore I believe in work, hard work. - The Auburn Creed
The older I get, the less stock I place in what men say, and the more I place in what men do. - Andrew Carnegie

« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2019, 09:17:57 AM »
What height rings did you get?

I sell firearms/scopes/hunting&fishing junk etc.

Many scopes with 30mm tubes have an (ocular bell) a little larger than those on 1" tubes. That combined with the 90 degree bolt lift on the VGII's can cause some interference issues with the medium and even high rings.

On the VGII's I have mounted a few Burris Veracity's - 2.5-10X42 (30mm) and we ended up having to mount with extra-high Talley's to prevent the bolt handle from rubbing the bell (or picking off the caps). Awesome scope for all round hunting but a little out of your stated price point.

You might take a look at the Nikon Prostaff 7. Good glass (I just personally hate their BDC reticle with the little circles), but it would come in somewhat under-budget - leave enough money for a case of "practice/sighting ammo" :)

I personally hate those little circles too.  I told that to a Nikon Rep at a local sporting goods store and he told me that the eye is drawn to the circle.  I then asked if Nikon was like the federal government in that they decided what was best for us and offered no other options at which point he found someone else to speak to.

For a good scope in that price range don't forget the Meo Pro line.  Check cameralandny.com.

« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2019, 01:48:16 PM »
There are a lot of good suggestions mentioned, but I urge you to carefully look through (not just at) any scope you are considering before you buy. Everybody's eyes are different and what may be great for one guy may not be just right for the next guy. You have a price range set and there are a number of decent choices within it. Do your homework and take your time if you can! As was mentioned, don't assume because a scope looks bright and clear in the store that it will remain that way in dimmer conditions. If you know the people pretty well where you shop, you could go there late in the day and ask them to walk outside with you (and the scope you are interested in) and let you look through it in real world light conditions. I personally like scopes with a lot of eye relief (especially on hard recoiling rifles), so you may want to compare that too. Not only does good eye relief avoid bleeding eyebrows, in my opinion, you can get on target faster. Good luck, you will find something you like, I'm sure.
Some like cologne, I like the smell of gunpowder.

« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2019, 06:44:31 AM »
Welcome DOC, I like the Zeiss Conquest scopes and have them on numerous rifles. Or, since you have the 30mm rings go with a Steiner scope, VERY VERY nice scope. Semper Fi.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2019, 02:49:04 PM by godscountry »
I love the smell of deer guts in the morning, it smells like...VICTORY!

zonie

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2019, 09:04:11 AM »
I think you got the cart before the horse , never buy rings until you buy a scope unless you absolutely know what you need.   For the most part I think a lot of us buy rings on impulse at times which is ok.  What kind of Talley rings did you buy ?   ring bases ? or a separate base and rings ?   My next question is what are you going to do with the rifle or put another way what COULD  you use the rifle for in the future without replacing scopes and mounts ?  Punching paper short ranges @ 100 yds ranges ? / medium ranges 300 yds or so ? /  med long range 400 - 600 yds ? /  long ranges 700 plus ?   these are approx. ranges and only my definition.  Are you going to hunt at any of these ranges ?  what animal size ?  deer & elk ?  In the future are you possibly going to shoot /hunt at 400 yds plus ?  All of these plus more examples are going to make a difference on scope selection.  In general the 308 is a very good all around caliber for the lower 48 with a few exceptions,  it's accurate a whole lot of r & d went into this cartridge, it's proven,  etc.  It probably wouldn't be my 1 st or 5 th choice for long range elk hunting but that's me and not someone else.
If it were me and not knowing the ranges and game you want to play,  I wouldn't have used Talley ring /base or straight rings / bases with a few exceptions such as a scope with a lot of built in elevation if shooting longer ranges.   I would definitely use a Talley 20 moa Picatinny rail,  and some type of appropriate  tactical rings of the correct height for the scope you buy.  Why ?  because the 308 bullets start dropping more quickly than more typical long range calibers so you would need a lot of built in elevation in whatever scope you buy or compensate buy using a Picatinny 20 moa base OR use both.  The Picatinny base has far more ring mounting positions to get a more precise scope eye relief or clear scope sight picture.  You can add scope level bubble I think a little easier, but not always,  You can change scopes far easier with an already sighted in scope with a set of rings already attached as a spare if needed, but you can do the same with other Weaver or  Picatinny slots,  beware Picatinny slot and Weaver slot specifications are different and are not always interchangeable  Weaver rings usually will fit on Picatinny rails, ( a little sloppy),  But not the other way around  true Picatinny rings will not fit on Weaver bases because the Picatinny lug is larger and won't fit Weaver slots.  Some of these off brand  eastern rings and bases who knows.  one thing about Picatinny's in general  they are generally higher than std bases so you may need to use lower rings , the other thing with ring makers is the way they measure ring height e.g. center of ring or ring saddle height.     I'm not going to be totally brand specific on scopes but in general terns, but it needs good eye relief and decent field of view.  Look at Leupold VX3 or better, Nikon pro staff 7, some higher end Bushnells,   Vortex Diamond back 30mm or better,  Zeiss & Meopta are good. It's really hard to beat Vortex for the guarantee,  The new Nikon guarantee isn't bad either had to use it a couple months ago,  Leupold guarantee is great, can't say about the others.    First focal plane or second focal plane  read up on it and see if it's something you may be interested in.  I don't have a problem with the Nikon's little circle BDC reticles I actually like them and you can always click up using the center line reticle if you choose,  clicking up or using a fixed bdc type reticle choice is yours but clicking up has always been more precise, but a little slower imo,  look at Leupold with a CDS turret system is not a bad way to go.  I absolutely would look at www.kentonindustries.com and see if they make a turret or speed strip  for a scope you maybe interested in.   About half my long range Coues Deer hunting friends either use a CDS, Click the turrets, or get a Turret made.  Scope's I'd look at nothing more than 16 power with a few exceptions  something like a  2.5 x 10,  3.5 x 10,  3 x 12,  4.5 x 14,  4 x 16, in 30 mm tubes only because of increased elevation travel,  etc.  Most likely a 4.5 x 14 or 4 x 16 if hunting open areas or 2.5 x 10 if hunting close in heavy vegetation areas, the problem is for me I can be hunting both types in the same day so I opt for the little higher power like the 14 & 16  power or in some cases higher but rarely hunt on more that 14 x.  Target shooting who cares whatever works.   
« Last Edit: January 10, 2019, 09:26:48 AM by zonie »