Spike Camp

accumark stock

accumark stock
« on: January 07, 2019, 05:51:02 PM »
i have an accumark in 338-378 with #4 contour match grade krieger barrel bought it new been playing with it for about a year now i load my own ammo and always trying to get it to group better. when i ordered thru the custom shop i had all the bells and whistles done trued bolt face lapped lugs and bedded. i recently took a screwdriver to the action screws to see what the mating surfaces between the stock and the barrel and receiver look like. first thing i noticed was the bedding job is very uneven a good mating surface on the right side but hardly any contact at all on the left side side of the barrel channel and none in the center very disappointed if someone in the custom shop can't even take the time to smear some putty evenly how do i know my bolt face and barrel are true. second thing i noticed and this is really my question to you all at the end of the barrel channel it has a pressure pad and noticed shiny marks on the pad like it does have tension on it. so i then put her back together and took a dollar bill and sure enough the bill won't go it has tension at the end of the barrel. now i do understand they put tension on the little twangy sporter barrels but is this necessary on a #4 contour barrel should it not free float?
« Last Edit: January 07, 2019, 05:56:24 PM by untouchable »

Re: accumark stock
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2019, 06:32:43 PM »
There's really only one response to this. If you're not happy with the workmanship then call Weatherby Consumer services and let them know. Weatherby thrives on it's strong customer support and although this Forum is listed as part of the Weatherby community it won't get your problem taken care of. Give them a call, you might be surprised at how well they'll take care of you.
Weatherby Rifles:
M5 USA .257
M5 USA 6.5-300
M5 USA 300
M5 German 300
M5 .308 TRR
VG .308
VG 270
Other:
Win M70 30-06
Brn XBolt HC Speed 300 WSM
McMil G30 Dynasty 270 WSM
Ber B-14 HMR 6.5 CM
Mar 1895 SBL 45-70
Win 94 pre 64 30-30
4 AR-15 Match 5.56
2 AR-15 Match Wylde .223
1 AR-10 Match .308

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2019, 07:02:43 PM »
disappointed to hear there is really only one response to this.  i will dig that putty out and redo it myself. do you know what they use to bed the barrels? looks like nice stuff reminds me of the epoxy that came with coleman repair kits for there canoes which would make sense there wasn't much that would adhere to the plastic canoes could be the same for that material the stocks are made of. so should a #4 contour have tension at the end of the stock or should it float?

224KING

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2019, 07:57:14 PM »
Accumarks are free floated.
Sorry... Yesterday was the last and final day for any and all complaints whatsoever.

I try to avoid temptation unless I can't resist it.

Everyone has a photographic memory.Some just don't have film.

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2019, 08:26:18 PM »
disappointed to hear there is really only one response to this.  i will dig that putty out and redo it myself. do you know what they use to bed the barrels? looks like nice stuff reminds me of the epoxy that came with coleman repair kits for there canoes which would make sense there wasn't much that would adhere to the plastic canoes could be the same for that material the stocks are made of. so should a #4 contour have tension at the end of the stock or should it float?

Use Bedrock, you can get it at Midway USA https://www.midwayusa.com/product/790049/miles-gilbert-bedrock-glass-bedding-kit

I've done a lot of bedding so if you have any questions please ask.
Weatherby Rifles:
M5 USA .257
M5 USA 6.5-300
M5 USA 300
M5 German 300
M5 .308 TRR
VG .308
VG 270
Other:
Win M70 30-06
Brn XBolt HC Speed 300 WSM
McMil G30 Dynasty 270 WSM
Ber B-14 HMR 6.5 CM
Mar 1895 SBL 45-70
Win 94 pre 64 30-30
4 AR-15 Match 5.56
2 AR-15 Match Wylde .223
1 AR-10 Match .308

Grouchy

• Let those without sin cast the first stone
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2019, 02:47:46 PM »
I'll bet you will void any guarantee if you decide to do this yourself. That advised phone call may the single best option. What do you have to lose by asking?  I believe there is a full length bedding block in a Accumark.

PARA45

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2019, 04:21:47 PM »
If this is a rifle like you said "custom shop i had all the bells and whistles", I wouldn't touch anything on it.  You've already paid a premium to get "all the bell and whistles", so if it's not right, I would request for them to it right. 

I'll also second you making that phone call before you touch anything on that rifle.  Because if you do, Weatherby will not honor their warranty.

This was pulled from their website:

"Service Policy
Weatherby is a name that has been synonymous with quality firearms for more than 70 years. All Weatherby firearms are manufactured of the finest materials and have been thoroughly inspected and tested in every phase of production. Because of the confidence we have in our products, Weatherby does not provide a written warranty, but rather stands behind its reputation for customer service and satisfaction.

Simply stated, we will consider requests for service or repair of Weatherby firearms without charge on a case by case basis. A determination will be made taking into consideration such things as the age and condition of the firearm, and the circumstances surrounding its malfunction or other problem.

Weatherby, Inc. will not be responsible for defects resulting from ordinary wear and tear, alterations by unauthorized persons, accidents, misuse, use of incorrect or other than factory loaded ammunition, or failure to provide reasonable and normal maintenance.

Should any Weatherby product require service or repair under this policy, please contact Weatherby first to obtain a Return Authorization Number by calling 307-675-7840. Shipment must be delivered transportation prepaid to Weatherby, Inc. or a Weatherby Authorized Service Center (names and addresses of which can be supplied by Weatherby upon request). The product must be accompanied by a proof of purchase and a letter explaining the problem. It should also be insured by the owner at the time of shipment, as Weatherby, Inc. can accept no responsibility for damage or loss in transit. Weatherby will pay all charges to return the product to the owner if it is accepted for service or repair without charge under the provisions of this service policy. Weatherby, Inc. also reserves the right to repair or replace any product at our sole discretion.

WEATHERBY, INC. SHALL NOT BE LIABLE FOR ANY CONSEQUENTIAL, INCIDENTAL OR CONTINGENT DAMAGES. ALL SHIPMENTS MUST DISPLAY THE RETURN AUTHORIZATION ON THE OUTSIDE OF THE SHIPPING CONTAINER."

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2019, 04:25:18 AM »
My Accumark was sent back to CA last week. The stock is a mess. The mag box is not in alignment with the stock and trigger guard assembly which is causing the floor plate to not engage and drop the cartridges out the bottom.  Cheap stock in my opinion. Hopefully Weatherby at some point elects to use a different stock on such a high end rifle.

Ron

PARA45

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2019, 01:59:13 PM »
My son sent his rifle to Weatherby, and got it back with 2-3 weeks.  This happened about a two months ago.  They are still working out of Kali, so don't let the move discourage you from sending your rifle.