Spike Camp

New Ravin Crossbows

DW5

• View Profile
New Ravin Crossbows
« on: January 11, 2019, 12:27:54 PM »
Well, Ravin threw a bit of a wrinkle in my plans. I had spoken to an employee there several months ago and was told there would be no newer models coming out in 2019. That seems to not be the case, as they have introduced the r26 and r29. There seems to be hardly any info out on the new ones yet. I was not going to be pulling the trigger on the purchase extremely quickly anyway though, so I'll give it some time and let some real world reviews roll in. The one big difference I see, besides the more compact design, is they seem to have done away with the "sniper" package with the upgraded Vortex Strike Eagle scope and yard by yard jack plate dial system.   

I'm interested to see what people think about these new ones since, besides the tremendous performance of the bows, a major reason I was drawn to them were their tremendously compact design to begin with, as they could be much more easily hunted with out of my existing deer stands than other, bulkier crossbows (like the one I have now).

http://guide.sportsmansguide.com/newravincrossbow/
You cant catch a fish without a hook in the water....

3X8

• View Profile
Re: New Ravin Crossbows
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2019, 12:53:17 PM »
There's a thread here with some replies, I haven't read it though. :D

https://www.crossbownation.com/community/forums/general-crossbow-discussion.3/

DW5

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2019, 01:40:38 PM »

3X8

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2019, 03:08:20 PM »

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2019, 03:27:40 PM »
In just read somewhere that they had been sold or taken over or something to that effect. I will try to find that again.I bought the R-9 last year and I love it!

3X8

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2019, 03:41:38 PM »
I bought two middle of the road Parkers this year, couple months later they announced they went out of business. So much for the lifetime warranty  >:(

DW5

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2019, 03:42:05 PM »
In just read somewhere that they had been sold or taken over or something to that effect. I will try to find that again.I bought the R-9 last year and I love it!

Would like to read it! After reading through what 3X8 posted and doing what research I can, I might be leaning toward sticking with getting last yearís model. Narrow is more important to me than length and these new ones almost look uncomfortable to shoot. I would like to shoulder one though. Iíve handled the r20 a time or two and loved it. Iím also very interested in seeing the real world reports on the performance of the new models.

DW5

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2019, 03:42:43 PM »
I bought two middle of the road Parkers this year, couple months later they announced they went out of business. So much for the lifetime warranty  >:(

That stinks...  :-\

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2019, 06:32:11 PM »
I have an R20 Sniper. You know...the R26/29 are an interesting design, but the overall size of the R20 doesnít bother me. With the kind of hunting I do, that probably isnít a big factor for me.
JK

DW5

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2019, 01:57:26 PM »
Here's a little info on the new models. May not be anything you don't already know

https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/shop-new-ravin-crossbows?cm_sp=RavinJan2019_EMAIL&om_rid=NtGtYx&om_mid=_BcN3UrB9wKAZxs#facet:&productBeginIndex:0&facetLimit:&orderBy:&pageView:grid&minPrice:&maxPrice:&pageSize:&

Thanks for the link. I hope some reviews/videos from real world users start to show up pretty quickly on these, especially the R29.

3X8

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2019, 08:47:43 AM »
That thing is so compact you could shoot from inside a bird house  ;D

« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2019, 09:59:32 AM »
I can see the utility if you hunt out of a tree stand. Here in Wyoming, almost all of our hunting is spot and stalk, so overall length isnít a big deal.
JK

DW5

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2019, 10:33:06 AM »
I do the vast majority of my deer hunting out of elevated deer blinds. While some are smaller than others, the number one, biggest problem by far, Iíve run into with crossbows is they will not fit out of the windows of blinds. I did the measuring on all the blinds I currently have and know the Ravin will fit, so the narrow is far more important to me. Iím pretty sure Iíd almost prefer a $2400+ Xbow to feel as much like a rifle as possible. But, Iíll read and watch the reviews on the R29s and try to shoulder one as well.