Spike Camp

Chair for a bow blind or brush blind in the woods?

danno50

• View Profile
Chair for a bow blind or brush blind in the woods?
« on: January 14, 2019, 07:26:14 AM »
My son-in-law is a bow hunter and a few years ago, as a b-day gift, I gave him a simple folding canvas type chair to use in his blind. Portable and light weight. For his up coming b-day I'm thinking about up grading. I found a couple of chairs that are affordable and seem sturdy and comfortable enough to use in a ground blind. Problem is I'm not sure how much extra crap (weight) bow hunters are wiling to carry around to different ground blinds/or make shift brush blinds in the woods? The chairs I found have what looks like useful features, but I don't know if they are worth the extra hassle (the weight and bulk) of caring them around. (maybe rifle hunters could use these in box blinds, so those opinions useful too) Primarily looking for bow hunter opinions on these two, Thanks 

https://redneckblinds.com/products/portable-hunting-chair

https://www.dickssportinggoods.com/p/field-stream-rotating-blind-chair-16fnsufsltmtrttngtsb/16fnsufsltmtrttngtsb?rrec=true
DosEquisShooter

Re: Chair for a bow blind or brush blind in the woods?
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2019, 08:35:55 AM »
The most important thing is weight as you suggest but the second is broad feet so they don't sink into the ground. Variable height would seem to be of high value to me also. I'd want one that could go fairly low and fairly high. Finally, I would want one that can handle my 215lb weight and my biggest buddy's weight also. If it can't, then darn sure, the first time out with him, he'd sit in it and break it.
Weatherby Rifles:
M5 USA .257
M5 USA 6.5-300
M5 USA 300
M5 German 300
M5 .308 TRR
VG .308
VG 270
Other:
Win M70 30-06
Brn XBolt HC Speed 300 WSM
McMil G30 Dynasty 270 WSM
Ber B-14 HMR 6.5 CM
Mar 1895 SBL 45-70
Win 94 pre 64 30-30
4 AR-15 Match 5.56
2 AR-15 Match Wylde .223
1 AR-10 Match .308

danno50

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2019, 08:44:35 AM »
The most important thing is weight as you suggest but the second is broad feet so they don't sink into the ground. Variable height would seem to be of high value to me also. I'd want one that could go fairly low and fairly high. Finally, I would want one that can handle my 215lb weight and my biggest buddy's weight also. If it can't, then darn sure, the first time out with him, he'd sit in it and break it.

Good advice, but of the two chairs in question, would you choose either?
DosEquisShooter

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2019, 09:49:15 AM »

Good advice, but of the two chairs in question, would you choose either?

I like the second one because it looks lighter but to be truthful, I can't tell you which one I would choose unless I went to Dick's and tried them both.
Weatherby Rifles:
M5 USA .257
M5 USA 6.5-300
M5 USA 300
M5 German 300
M5 .308 TRR
VG .308
VG 270
Other:
Win M70 30-06
Brn XBolt HC Speed 300 WSM
McMil G30 Dynasty 270 WSM
Ber B-14 HMR 6.5 CM
Mar 1895 SBL 45-70
Win 94 pre 64 30-30
4 AR-15 Match 5.56
2 AR-15 Match Wylde .223
1 AR-10 Match .308

Blackbear3

• In God We Trust!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2019, 06:40:36 AM »
I tried several chairs last year at different stores, the ones similar to Dicks squeaked so bad I would never consider hunting with it. The chair kind of similar to the Redneck one was at Cabelas, and was uncomfortable just sitting a short time on it. I ended up buying a swivel lid for a 6 gallon pail, and thru my lunch and some light clothing in it. And at well over 300 lbs the bucket was the safest bet.
We stand for the Flag, and we kneel for the fallen!!!

Doug-NRA Life Member

danno50

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2019, 05:59:20 PM »
Thanks for the hands-on review. Yeah, a squeaky chair wouldn't work in the woods, and looking at the backrest on the Redneck chair, it does look uncomfortable. I'm wondering how hard it would be to flip either one of those chairs backwards if you happen to lean back to hard. Maybe I should rethink this idea?
DosEquisShooter