Spike Camp

Hello from Aregentina

Hello from Aregentina
« on: January 16, 2019, 08:51:10 AM »
Hello i'm Juan from Argentina.

Good morning... i bought recently a weatherby Vanguard serie2 VB 153387. I did brake in procedure correctly, i have checked all items... bases, rings, scope, etc and everithing is fine.
But i couldn't get a good group, i think the problem is in the stock. May you send to me some pics to see the points of contact between stock and barrel? I can check it by myself with some impression material (i'm a dentist you know?).
I like to take care  all details... Please, i need to know if is very convenient to made free floated barrel or some bedding.
If not... i will appreciate your help.
Thank you very much!
Have a nice day!

I sent this email to weatherby people. May someone help me? please
i apologize if my english is not good.

224KING

• View Profile
Re: Hello from Aregentina
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2019, 09:33:56 AM »
If it's not free floated already.Put a few cut pieces of business cards or thick paper under the action lug and that will free float your barrel and tell you if it will help your accuracy by doing so.

I'm curious what kind of groups/accuracy you are getting right out of the box.I wouldn't start trying to fix something that is not broken.
Sorry... Yesterday was the last and final day for any and all complaints whatsoever.

I try to avoid temptation unless I can't resist it.

Everyone has a photographic memory.Some just don't have film.

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2019, 10:30:52 AM »

Jaun, what caliber and what stock does it have? I'm trying to figure out if it's something I know about or if I should keep quiet..
Weatherby Rifles:
M5 USA .257
M5 USA 6.5-300
M5 USA 300
M5 German 300
M5 .308 TRR
VG .308
VG 270
Other:
Win M70 30-06
Brn XBolt HC Speed 300 WSM
McMil G30 Dynasty 270 WSM
Ber B-14 HMR 6.5 CM
Mar 1895 SBL 45-70
Win 94 pre 64 30-30
4 AR-15 Match 5.56
2 AR-15 Match Wylde .223
1 AR-10 Match .308

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2019, 12:03:35 PM »
If it's not free floated already.Put a few cut pieces of business cards or thick paper under the action lug and that will free float your barrel and tell you if it will help your accuracy by doing so.

I'm curious what kind of groups/accuracy you are getting right out of the box.I wouldn't start trying to fix something that is not broken.

Thanks a lot.
around 5"

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2019, 12:04:47 PM »

Jaun, what caliber and what stock does it have? I'm trying to figure out if it's something I know about or if I should keep quiet..
Thanks a lot!
.300 win mag
synthetic stock

224KING

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2019, 12:33:19 PM »
I'd re-torque the screws that hold it in the stock first.Make sure barrel is in center of channel then re-torque the screws per Weatherby's description.
Sorry... Yesterday was the last and final day for any and all complaints whatsoever.

I try to avoid temptation unless I can't resist it.

Everyone has a photographic memory.Some just don't have film.

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2019, 01:47:40 PM »
I'd re-torque the screws that hold it in the stock first.Make sure barrel is in center of channel then re-torque the screws per Weatherby's description.
Hello, I did it.
i think the stock has some contact with the barrel with more pressure than the other side. That's why i wanna know the correct distribution of the points of contacts between the barrel and stock.

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2019, 02:22:06 PM »
Hello, I did it.
i think the stock has some contact with the barrel with more pressure than the other side. That's why i wanna know the correct distribution of the points of contacts between the barrel and stock.

Juan, one of the tricks with the Vanguards (and other rifles) is to loosen the action screws and then hold the rifle vertical by the fore end and tap the butt on the floor a few times. With the rifle still vertical, look at the barrel and it should be centered in the barrel channel. The Vanguards have a deep tang at the rear of the action and when it is fully seated it will center the barrel. With rifle still vertical tighten the rear screw and then the front screw. The barrel should now be centered, the tang fully seated and the recoil lug also seated.
Weatherby Rifles:
M5 USA .257
M5 USA 6.5-300
M5 USA 300
M5 German 300
M5 .308 TRR
VG .308
VG 270
Other:
Win M70 30-06
Brn XBolt HC Speed 300 WSM
McMil G30 Dynasty 270 WSM
Ber B-14 HMR 6.5 CM
Mar 1895 SBL 45-70
Win 94 pre 64 30-30
4 AR-15 Match 5.56
2 AR-15 Match Wylde .223
1 AR-10 Match .308

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2019, 03:18:20 PM »
Hello, I did it.

Juan, one of the tricks with the Vanguards (and other rifles) is to loosen the action screws and then hold the rifle vertical by the fore end and tap the butt on the floor a few times. With the rifle still vertical, look at the barrel and it should be centered in the barrel channel. The Vanguards have a deep tang at the rear of the action and when it is fully seated it will center the barrel. With rifle still vertical tighten the rear screw and then the front screw. The barrel should now be centered, the tang fully seated and the recoil lug also seated.
Sound good. I gonna do that right now.
Thanks a lot!!

PARA45

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2019, 05:24:09 PM »
Bienvenido Juan a la Nation!  Este forum tiene mucha experiensa y informacion con los rifles Weatherby.   Welcome Juan.  This forum has a lot of experience and information on Weatherby rifles.

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2019, 07:34:39 PM »
Bienvenido Juan a la Nation!  Este forum tiene mucha experiensa y informacion con los rifles Weatherby.   Welcome Juan.  This forum has a lot of experience and information on Weatherby rifles.
Muchas gracias!
Thank you very much!
I'm ready to learn all about my new rifle. thanks a lot for everyone!

BB340

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2019, 02:02:53 PM »

Yep I second trying this. I have done it to a few of my rifles and a couple of Vanguards. If it improves the accuracy I then bed the action and free float the barrel.
However I do believe I have two rifles here that shot so good after putting the plastic in place that I have just left it there and it has been just fine for years now.
Aussie gun nut.

« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2019, 12:10:13 PM »

Yep I second trying this. I have done it to a few of my rifles and a couple of Vanguards. If it improves the accuracy I then bed the action and free float the barrel.
However I do believe I have two rifles here that shot so good after putting the plastic in place that I have just left it there and it has been just fine for years now.
I would like to do bedding right now, but i can lose the warranty. So i must check all details before... i need to be pretty sure what's the issue. I don't know what's the problem still.
thank you very much!