Spike Camp

Checkering a rifle stock

Checkering a rifle stock
« on: January 17, 2019, 05:11:35 PM »
I’m looking to get my Boyd’s laminate stock on my Ruger M77 Mark ll 280 AI checkered. Any suggestions on who is good? I’m just looking for basic patterns, nothing fancy. Or would it be cheaper to buy another stock?
Scott

Re: Checkering a rifle stock
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2019, 06:58:54 PM »
I had that same question back in 1967 when I put my first centerfire rifle together with a semi-inleted stock blank from Herter's.  As a college student, I didn't have the money for a professional checkering job, so, as a DIY guy, I bought some Dem Bart checkering tools, and after a few practice patterns on scraps of wood, I checkered that stock myself.  It actually came out pretty good.

Since then I have finished stocks for a half dozen or so rifles, with the last 4 having the same multi-panel wrap-around pattern.  I think I had about 80 hours in the last rifle that I checkered.

This is a Richards laminate stock that I checkered a little over 10 years ago.

NRA Endowment Life Member

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2019, 08:46:36 PM »
Very nice work. 80 hours ouch.
Roger
Faster horses,younger women,older whiskey,and more money.

wby4ever

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2019, 04:12:14 AM »
nice work and great patience!

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2019, 06:21:07 AM »
with today's machine checkering it can be done cheaper then hand checkering which takes time to draw a pattern you want if you have the skills to draw and then transpose it to the wood is probably the hardest thing about checkering but you also need a steady hand to follow the lines and good eye sight not to have too many over runs. Did I forget to add carving skills also to add fancy designs.
All of these things add time to hand checker a stock and one of the main reasons most companies use a machine to checker their stocks.
TD

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2019, 06:23:56 AM »
I checkered my 7x57 rifle a few years ago after purchasing a dem bart kit from brownells. It is a tedious process and takes a great deal of time, patience, and a steady hand. Those areas are not my strong suits but I do think it turned out pretty decent. I don't have a pic of it handy at the moment but if I find one, I'll post it later.

I plan on checkering my 240 wby stock whenever I get around to finishing the unfinished projects on my work bench.

I've found, for me, the less complex patterns are the best route. I used a pre-64 Winchester checkering pattern for my 7x57. Basically I just found pictures online and created my own template. Then I used a pounce-wheel to transfer the pattern onto the walnut. I've heard harder woods like maple are more time consuming and harder on your tools, but I have not attempted a maple stock, yet. I think another good pattern is a Ruger number 1. Looks classy and stays simple.
JW

I like rifles with wood stocks

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2019, 06:24:53 AM »
I had that same question back in 1967 when I put my first centerfire rifle together with a semi-inleted stock blank from Herter's.  As a college student, I didn't have the money for a professional checkering job, so, as a DIY guy, I bought some Dem Bart checkering tools, and after a few practice patterns on scraps of wood, I checkered that stock myself.  It actually came out pretty good.

Since then I have finished stocks for a half dozen or so rifles, with the last 4 having the same multi-panel wrap-around pattern.  I think I had about 80 hours in the last rifle that I checkered.

This is a Richards laminate stock that I checkered a little over 10 years ago.

Great job!!
JW

I like rifles with wood stocks

PARA45

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2019, 09:08:20 AM »
WOW, beautiful!!!!!  I'm by no means an expert on checkering, but that job looks to be flawless.  Great job!!!
Senator John Kennedy  " If you support defunding the police, you've tested positive for stupid".

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2019, 01:35:34 PM »
Thanks for the kind comments on my checkering pics.
NRA Endowment Life Member

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2019, 11:19:50 AM »
A few years back I had a stock checkered at Ahlmans in Minnesota. I was very happy with their work. Here is the contact information. Phone number 507-685-4244, homepage www.ahlmans.com
Email mikeahlman@hotmail.com