Spike Camp

max effective range

max effective range
« on: January 24, 2019, 07:31:20 PM »
hey guys quick question, I have purchased a vanguard special edition in 7mm rem mag from cabelas ( it's a first lite in a different color and has the 26 inch barrel which I believe is #2 contour). it will be used as almost exclusively as a hunting rifle but I might bring it out to the range sometime and want to know what range it would reliably get on paper, I'm thinking of getting talley rings and a nikon fx1000 or a vortex vmr-1
Thanks.

dubyam

• View Profile
Re: max effective range
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2019, 08:46:37 PM »
Well, it won't ever be a competitive shooter's dream gun for 1000yds, but that rifle would get on paper further out than 1k. It will reliably take game further out than about 99.5% of hunters have any business shooting, as well.

Realistically, if you want to bang the things or try groups on paper at 500, 800, or 1000 or beyond, that rifle and that chambering are up to the task. You'll want to go slow to avoid heating your barrel, and you won't compete with it, but it'll shoot a long ways.
I believe this is a practical world, and in it I can count only on what I can earn.  Therefore I believe in work, hard work. - The Auburn Creed
The older I get, the less stock I place in what men say, and the more I place in what men do. - Andrew Carnegie

Re: max effective range
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2019, 03:02:44 PM »
No way of knowing your rifles max range until you shoot it and find what ammo it likes to shoot and how it groups (or develop a good load if handloading).  Pretty safe to say you should be able to get a reliable setup with that rifle to shoot responsibly out to 400 yards at least though.  Beyond that, only you will be able to find out once you start slinging some lead. ;)