Spike Camp

Mk V wood stock bedding question

tdbru

• View Profile
Mk V wood stock bedding question
« on: January 26, 2019, 08:53:28 PM »
i picked up a used 340 Wby Mk V deluxe.  japan made.  i pulled the action out of the stock to check for rust or damage or stock splits.  fortunately i found none.  however, for as well finished the outside of the stock - appears some sort of gloss polyurethane, the inside action area appears to be just raw wood.  so this brings several questions to mind.

1.  should the inside of the stock be sealed/finished? 

2.  if so, what?  tung oil?  polyurethane?  other?

3.  would it improve accuracy to accuglass the action in the stock (with release of course)?  have any of you guys with wood stocks had the actions glass (epoxy) bedded?  did accuracy improve?

4.  on the outside of the stock, do the grooves in the checkering need any kind of finish to enhance weather proofing?

normally on my wood stocked rifles, i go ahead and glass bed them.  but the inletting on this stock seems so much more precise than any Rem700 or Win M70 in wood stocks i've examined before.  it appears of course to be machine inletted, as they all seem to be, but this appears to be done with much less clearance around the action and barrel.  hence the question about getting the action bedded.  did it help accuracy or not?

thanks,
tdbru

Re: Mk V wood stock bedding question
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2019, 09:00:18 PM »
I would put about 3 coats of Tru-oil on the stock and put it back together and sre

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2019, 09:03:41 PM »
Hit the wrong  button lol
Tru-oil it and see how it shoots
If it's not what your looking for than epoxy the recoil lug and glass bed the action
IMO

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2019, 09:17:03 PM »
+ 1 Shoot it first. It may not need any bedding.
Roger
Faster horses,younger women,older whiskey,and more money.

tdbru

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2019, 09:34:45 PM »
thanks.  Tru-oil.  got it.

224KING

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2019, 10:37:19 PM »
I wouldn't put anything on the inside of it unless I was hunting in extreme conditions.

You know how many Mark V stocks out there are being hunted without any coating on them?

All of them
Retirement; The art of doing very little,very slowly

Expert; Someone who knows so much about so little

If you live in the swirl of the drain,inevitably you'll wind up in the cesspool.

Remember 10534

Sorry... Yesterday was the last and final day for any and all complaints whatsoever.

tdbru

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2019, 11:13:32 PM »
western oregon.  usually raining during hunting seasons.  doesn't rain super hard most of the time, but doesn't letup either.  i've poured water out of barrels when i forgot and slung them over my shoulder.  i've poured water out of actions and stocks.  everything gets soaked.
-tdbru

224KING

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2019, 05:50:03 AM »
Sounds like extreme to me
Retirement; The art of doing very little,very slowly

Expert; Someone who knows so much about so little

If you live in the swirl of the drain,inevitably you'll wind up in the cesspool.

Remember 10534

Sorry... Yesterday was the last and final day for any and all complaints whatsoever.

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2019, 06:28:12 AM »
You do want the interior of the stocked sealed to maintain the stability of the wood. I use a coat of Shellac on the inside. I have fully bedded factory Mark V wood stocks including pillar posts and didn't see any appreciable improvement. If you're going to do any bedding then bed the recoil lug only and use acraglass gel since it will cure to a somewhat pliable state and act as a cushion but still hold the barrel straight in the inlet.
Mark V Deluxe .257,6.5-300,300
Mark V Tactical 338 Lapua, .308
Tikka T3x Light 22-250
Ber B-14 HMR 6.5 CM
Marlin 1895 SBL 45-70
Win 94 30-30
AR-15 Match 5.56
AR-15 Match Wylde .223
AR-10 Match .308
WASR-10/63 AK47 7.62x57
Russian SKS 7.62x57
Turkish Mauser 8mm