Spike Camp

Talley Ring Heights

Talley Ring Heights
« on: January 29, 2019, 07:40:06 AM »
Was wondering if anyone here could break down scope ring heights by objective size with these Talley rings for my new S2 sporter? Ill be using a Vortex Optics Diamondback 3.5-10x50 so im guessing either medium or high but just want to buy once instead of having to return them. Most reviews Ive seen say these Talley rings fit weatherbys VS2 the best but if there's any other recommendations im also all ears to that.

Re: Talley Ring Heights
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2019, 07:56:44 AM »
Was wondering if anyone here could break down scope ring heights by objective size with these Talley rings for my new S2 sporter? Ill be using a Vortex Optics Diamondback 3.5-10x50 so im guessing either medium or high but just want to buy once instead of having to return them. Most reviews Ive seen say these Talley rings fit weatherbys VS2 the best but if there's any other recommendations im also all ears to that.

Get yourself some modeling clay and make two balls. Place the balls on the action then place the scope on the top of the balls and press down evenly until the scope height looks correct. Optimally, the objective will be about an 1/8" off the barrel. Once you've done that, remove the scope and measure the distance from the receiver to the center of the indent left by the scope. This will give you your optimal height. Email or call Talley and tell them what the distance is and they will set you up with the correct part number for the rings.

I order my Talley rings directly from Talley. There usually isn't enough difference in cost to offset getting the wrong rings and having to return them. Their shipping is fast too.
Weatherby Rifles:
M5 USA .257
M5 USA 6.5-300
M5 USA 300
M5 German 300
M5 .308 TRR
VG .308
VG 270
Other:
Win M70 30-06
Brn XBolt HC Speed 300 WSM
McMil G30 Dynasty 270 WSM
Ber B-14 HMR 6.5 CM
Mar 1895 SBL 45-70
Win 94 pre 64 30-30
4 AR-15 Match 5.56
2 AR-15 Match Wylde .223
1 AR-10 Match .308

dubyam

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2019, 08:09:33 AM »
The clay ball method works great, and is good advice.  I've found with Talley, however, you can start by calling them and they often know what will fit with a given scope and rifle combination.  Those guys are sharp and know their stuff.  Just about the only brand of mounts I'll buy anymore.
I believe this is a practical world, and in it I can count only on what I can earn.  Therefore I believe in work, hard work. - The Auburn Creed
The older I get, the less stock I place in what men say, and the more I place in what men do. - Andrew Carnegie

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2019, 05:28:09 PM »
Medium will be close with a 50,  When I put my Leupold VX-2 3x9 40 on my daughter's Vanguard Camilla I called Talley and they said medium.   By the way,  love the Talley Rings.  They work great.

Blackbear3

• In God We Trust!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2019, 07:06:05 AM »
Welcome to the Nation!!! I agree with everyone else, call Talley. But mediums are on all my rifles and work.
We stand for the Flag, and we kneel for the fallen!!!

Doug-NRA Life Member

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2019, 01:48:06 PM »
Welcome. Talley is my preference. Give them a call. They are are prompt and very good to work with.
Duane

Grouchy

• Let those without sin cast the first stone
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2019, 02:21:18 PM »
Welcome. Talley is my preference. Give them a call. They are are prompt and very good to work with.
Duane
+1  Talley even sent me to a competitor for the correct mounts for a bastard rifle I had! Told me their part # ! 

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2019, 07:46:56 PM »
I use mediums on all my 50mm obj scoped rifles and lows on all 40mm to include Wby Vanguard Sll
100% Public Land DIY

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2019, 02:34:53 PM »
Duane
+1
You can also email them. I emailed them with a question about ring height. Told them the rifle and scope and they responded by the end of day. Told me what height would work on short action and long action models.

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2019, 06:35:38 AM »
I recently bought a Mk5 in 300 Weatherby and a Zeiss 3-15x50,called Tally and they they recommended their Med rings on the light wt base
poprlj

224KING

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2019, 07:22:56 AM »
They usually know what they are talking about.I'd trust the info they gave you.
Sorry... Yesterday was the last and final day for any and all complaints whatsoever.

I try to avoid temptation unless I can't resist it.

Everyone has a photographic memory.Some just don't have film.

« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2019, 08:33:43 AM »
+1 224King...Iíve had excellent advice on mount selections from Talley. My confidence level is very high on their customer service.
Duane