Spike Camp

Texas hog hunt

Texas hog hunt
« on: January 31, 2019, 08:06:36 PM »
Check this out, it may work for somebody here.
https://ranchers.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=79135
I can't tame wild women
But I can make tame women wild

Re: Texas hog hunt
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2019, 08:16:34 AM »
I would love to do a bunch of hog hunting, but even for hogs, it's usually kind of expensive. You would think most ranchers would just be happy to have guys come in and get rid of a lot of them, but they want to charge you big bucks to help them out on extermination efforts. These days, everything is about making big money.
Come and take it.

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2019, 08:51:22 AM »
I would love to do a bunch of hog hunting, but even for hogs, it's usually kind of expensive. You would think most ranchers would just be happy to have guys come in and get rid of a lot of them, but they want to charge you big bucks to help them out on extermination efforts. These days, everything is about making big money.
  +1.

danno50

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2019, 07:42:53 AM »

Part of it may also be the farmer/rancher not trusting "strangers" to come on his land and only shoot hogs. If the farmer/rancher can't be with them, the hunters, may shoot other species as target practice. The farmer/rancher just doesn't know whether these people can be trusted alone. I hunted a farm such as that with a group of four others that I was in charge of. I knew the farmer, he  trusted me, and I made sure things stayed on the up and up for him. It was a year round lease, but no matter how often we went we couldn't put a dent in the hog population by strictly hunting day/night or both. Mass killings may be  about the only way, along with with possibly trapping, to get the swine under some sort of control. Not everyone can afford an operation like that. Just Saying.
DosEquisShooter

DW5

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2019, 09:32:20 AM »

Part of it may also be the farmer/rancher not trusting "strangers" to come on his land and only shoot hogs. If the farmer/rancher can't be with them, the hunters, may shoot other species as target practice. The farmer/rancher just doesn't know whether these people can be trusted alone. I hunted a farm such as that with a group of four others that I was in charge of. I knew the farmer, he  trusted me, and I made sure things stayed on the up and up for him. It was a year round lease, but no matter how often we went we couldn't put a dent in the hog population by strictly hunting day/night or both. Mass killings may be  about the only way, along with with possibly trapping, to get the swine under some sort of control. Not everyone can afford an operation like that. Just Saying.

I think you are 100% spot on with everything you just said here Danno.
You cant catch a fish without a hook in the water....

DW5

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2019, 09:39:25 AM »
On a personal note, here is something I’ll admit too that I know is true for *some* other hog hunters/trappers (definitely not all), and a lot who it does apply too will not admit.

I’m a bit torn personally about the wild hogs. I know they are a massive problem, do a TERRIBLE amount of property damage every year, and the farmers/ranchers hate them. And, if I could, I absolutely still would snap my fingers and make the problems go away.

With all that said I am wildly fascinated with wild hogs and love to hunt them/learn about them. There is absolutely a part of me that would be sad to see them go.
You cant catch a fish without a hook in the water....

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2019, 11:37:07 AM »
We don't have hog on the ranch here in Saskatchewan YET! they are a problem in many places in Sask. The post I put on to start this thread is from Ranchers.net. He has a Pecan orchard on the Trinity River in Texas and has been over run with hogs. He is dealing with them the best way he knows how  guess. I hope he can reduce his hog problem and maybe make up some of the lost income from the Hog damage to his Pecans.
 From my days involved in "Cow Politics" I have been to enough presentation on the wild hog issue to know casual hunting doesn't reduce the population to controllable levels. It is a many pronged approach that works the best.
I can't tame wild women
But I can make tame women wild