Spike Camp

338-378 accumark

Re: 338-378 accumark
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2019, 05:29:53 PM »
Thanks for your answers and I'll try to address each of them in order.  I completely understand the sticker shock on the price of loaded ammo.  I don't remember he exact price I paid for my factory ammo, which was loaded with 200 grain Nosler Ballistic Tips, back in 98 when I bought mine but for some reason I think it was around $90 a box but don't hold me to that exact price.  I think you're on the right track with wanting to go with one bullet and load for everything you want to do.  It's easier to keep track of the bullet drop and your adjustments for it.  Barnes makes good bullets but at the same time they can be finicky to load with. 

Back in 1998 when I bought my rifle there wasn't any load data I could find any where so I ended up calling Nosler for load data.  Nosler gave me data for their 200 grain Ballistic Tip which isn't made any more however you can get the Combined Technologies Ballistic Silver Tip which is actually a Ballistic Tip with a silver tip and a black Lubabux coating.  The load was 112.0 to 116.0 grains of RL25 with a Federal 215 Magnum Rifle primer.  The load that I've used in my rifle since I started loading for it is 112.0 grains of RL25 with a Federal 215 Gold Medal primer.  A few years ago I tried that same combination with the Nosler AccuBonds and got lucky as it has the same point of impact as the Combined Technologies Ballistic Tips at all the ranges I shoot.  Nosler doesn't list this load anymore and they currently list 111.0 grains of H1000 with a Winchester Large Rifle Magnum primer as the most accurate load tested.  I haven't tried that load in my rifle since I have quite a bit ammo loaded with the RL25 powder and get sub-MOA groups with it.  I would definitely try the H1000 load with the Accubonds in your rifle to see how they group for you.  If you want to go heavier they also make AccuBonds in 180, 225, 250, and even 300 grain versions.  Since you mentioned wanting a high Ballistic Co-Efficient I would give serious consideration to trying the Nosler AccuBond Long Range Bullet in 265 grains which has a ballistic co-efficient of 0.732.  I would give Nosler a call and ask them for load data for that bullet since it's not listed in their book or on their website at this time.  I have a suspicion on what they're going to tell you but I'm not going to mention it here since it's just a suspicion and if I'm wrong I don't want you to get hurt or harm your rifle. 
Nothing is better than a Weatherby, big bore magnum, or a Colt.

« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2019, 01:24:06 PM »
chri338378,
 thank you for the advice and sharing your data and experiences. I will definitely call nosler. I have two questions  that continues to stick in my mind, #1 is the "weatherby free bore".
I have read about weatherby's typically having a large free bore, and a lot of these high BC bullets requiring or wanting to be close to the lands, how do you handle that part of the equation?

#2 what about the temperature sensitivity of the RL25, northern KY can be sub zero in winter and 100+ in summer, and with my work schedule, I'm liable to be itching to shoot in either if i have time away from work. There is no day to bad to shoot for me, unless the rifle and load combo are not cooperating (horrible groups like I'm having now, that becomes discouraging)

« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2019, 01:26:23 PM »
chris338378,
i forgot to answer, weatherby factory ammo loaded with the barnes 225 ttsx was $130ish plus tax and $7.95 shipping, so by the time it arrives it will be around $150 per 20

« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2019, 04:04:03 PM »
As for your question about free bore yes Weatherby rifles have free bore, just how much I'm not exactly sure.  When I loaded my bullets I started off by setting my seating depth the same as factory loaded ammo and I stayed with that length.  I did this by using a factory loaded round which is super easy.  Your over all cartridge length is limited by the length of your magazine unless you want to use your rifle as a single shot, which I don't do.  There isn't too much extra room in the magazine when you use the factory loaded ammo length.  I never measured that free space but I'd be comfortable saying you'd have a few thousandths of an inch to play with. 

Regarding the temperature sensitivity of RL25 I haven't noticed any issues such as groups growing, stringing, or pressure issues shooting in hot or cold temperatures.  The extreme temperatures in my neck of the woods can range from -10 up to 98 or so.  I would say the normal range would be more along the lines of 10 to 90 degrees and I've shot my rifle in that temperature range without any issues.  The biggest thing to keep in mind is, at least in my case, I'm burning 112.0 grains of gun powder every time I squeeze the trigger which is over double the amount of powder you'd burn in a single .30-06 or .270 Winchester.  That being said your barrel is going to heat up fast so what I do is shoot three rounds, let the rifle cool off in the shade while I'm shooting a different rifle, and I always keep my ammo in the shade.  If it's over 80 and very humid I generally don't shoot because I'm not a fan of hot and humid weather.  I also choose not to shoot when it's over 90, again I'm not a big fan of heat and it's not too much fun to shoot when I'm melting.  In your case as long as you don't over heat the rifle and let it cool I think you'd be fine. 

« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2019, 04:16:32 PM »
Chris338378
Those things make a lot of sense. My friends sometimes say I over complicate things, they may be correct I just like to make sure I dot the “I’s” and cross the “T’s” small details make big differences the further out and the more powder your burning.

One things for sure,
This weatherby nation group has be very welcoming and I feel at home here already. I think it’s safe to say I will put more weatherbys in the safe after my experiences here.
I did call nosler. They said the accubond LR in 265 only had one production run and were pretty much not obtainable right now. They will produce more of them June/July. As well as a new accubond LR 300gr in July.
They gave me load data for the 250gr accubond. I asked them about seating depths. They acknowledged the freebore, but said regardless the accubond uses a tangent ogive, and likes being seated deep. I will keep you posted. On the outcome.  Thanks again

« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2019, 04:25:24 PM »
My friends say the same thing to me, don't worry about it. When your rifle shoots well, you'll know why and when it doesn't you'll know why. While your buddies are cussing and throwing their rifles on the ground, you'll just fix your mistake and move on.
Weatherby Rifles:
M5 USA .257
M5 USA 6.5-300
M5 USA 300
M5 German 300
M5 .308 TRR
VG .308
VG 270
Other:
Win M70 30-06
Brn XBolt HC Speed 300 WSM
McMil G30 Dynasty 270 WSM
Ber B-14 HMR 6.5 CM
Mar 1895 SBL 45-70
Win 94 pre 64 30-30
4 AR-15 Match 5.56
2 AR-15 Match Wylde .223
1 AR-10 Match .308

« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2019, 05:10:47 PM »
You're welcome Pal and glad you're here with us.  I'd check around on the internet to see if you can get any of those 265 or 300 grain Long Range Accubonds, you never know you might get lucky.  Another option is to check around in your local stores you never know what you'll find sitting on a shelf.  For the time being you can try the normal style AccuBonds in the same or close to the same weight to see how they shoot for you.  I have a question for you, what are you using for a loading block?  I've been using a 20 gauge shotgun shell loading block since the cases don't fit in the standard reloading blocks from RCBS.

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2019, 05:45:19 PM »
Chris: that is a good question. I  recently bought a 28 Nosler and the cases do not fit in my loading block.
I have been wondering what to use.
Mike

« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2019, 07:05:38 PM »
to start off, i drilled 3/4"diameter holes 1/2" deep in a 2x4 block of scrap while i waited on a loading block to arrive from midway.  I can remember the brand name, but it is black, was on sale for $3.99 its made for .45-70Gov rounds.  Those .45-70 have that big rim.

i purchased the "hornady magnum Block" that is made for magnum rifles or 12ga shotgun, has alternating holes "shotgun rifle shotgun rifle etc"  but it was about 12"x12" square and it was just too big  took too much room on the bench, so i returned it

i like this .45-70 block  it resembles the ones i used to get made by frankfort arsenal

« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2019, 05:52:13 AM »
Thanks for the info, I'm going to check them out.  The one nice thing about the 20 gauge loading block is I can load two and a half boxes of ammo at a time.  I know the Long Range Accubonds will group differently because of the higher ballistic co-efficient opposed to the regular Accubonds but I was thinking that the traditional one might shoot well for you or at least give you an idea how your rifle might like that bullet weight.  Also before I forget check out Nosler's factory direct website where they sell second grade bullets.  If you don't know what I mean by that is the bullets might be stained or have the wrong color tip.  The reasons they are rated factory seconds is cosmetic issues and they have no affect on how the bullet preforms.  I've been using them for years and have saved a ton of money doing so.  When you go to the site click on Nosler Products and go over to the right to Factory Seconds.  That'll take you to a page that lists the products that they have in stock. 

Here's a link to the site:

http://www.shootersproshop.com/

« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2019, 11:06:37 AM »
Did I read that other post correctly and your using the 200grain accubond

« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2019, 04:57:41 PM »
I am loading the 200 grain Combined Technologies Ballistic Silver Tips.  I have tried the 200 grain AccuBonds and in my rifle they have the same point of impact for all the distances I've shot them to compare them with the Combined Technologies Ballistic Silver Tips.  The reason I'm using the Combined Technologies Ballistic Silver Tips is they're cheaper and they have the same point of impact as the AccuBonds.

« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2019, 06:31:39 AM »
I am going to try and upload a pic of the group from today.
It was shot with the factory Ammo @100
5shots from cold clean bore

« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2019, 06:33:13 AM »
For some reason that picture is rotated counter clockwise 90 degrees.
Point of impact was horizontal zero,2”-3” left
But I was more focused on group size than POI

Blackbear3

• In God We Trust!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 09, 2019, 12:18:05 PM »
Can't complain about that group, not bad at all for 5 shots.
We stand for the Flag, and we kneel for the fallen!!!

Doug-NRA Life Member