Spike Camp

Scope troubles any suggestions

Scope troubles any suggestions
« on: February 02, 2019, 04:32:44 PM »
Been replacing scopes every year now, have replaced 4 this will be the 5th in 5 years all on Vortex warranty. It seems as if the tubes are too thin they all had crushed tubes for the first four. Using a Wheeler fat wrench set it at 15 in/lbs torque it down shoot thru the year and there goes another one. The last one I got mounted where I bought the scope and the same thing. Do any of you have suggestions on what type of scope to put on my 6.5 swede i think it is time to just warranty and sell new in box when it returns. Did spend about $700 cdn on it figure a firm ask for 500 and get a different brand. Maybe go Nikon or Burris.

Re: Scope troubles any suggestions
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2019, 06:30:27 PM »
Been replacing scopes every year now, have replaced 4 this will be the 5th in 5 years all on Vortex warranty. It seems as if the tubes are too thin they all had crushed tubes for the first four. Using a Wheeler fat wrench set it at 15 in/lbs torque it down shoot thru the year and there goes another one. The last one I got mounted where I bought the scope and the same thing. Do any of you have suggestions on what type of scope to put on my 6.5 swede i think it is time to just warranty and sell new in box when it returns. Did spend about $700 cdn on it figure a firm ask for 500 and get a different brand. Maybe go Nikon or Burris.

Did you lap your rings and ensure that the scope fits all the way down into the rings and can move freely even with a slight downward pressure? If not then that's what you need to do to keep from crushing the tube. Vortex tubes are exactly the stated diameter and if the rings are also then there is zero or less clearance. You need about .001 clearance to keep from crushing the tube when torqueing the screws to 15 inch lbs.
Weatherby Rifles:
M5 USA .257
M5 USA 6.5-300
M5 USA 300
M5 German 300
M5 .308 TRR
VG .308
VG 270
Other:
Win M70 30-06
Brn XBolt HC Speed 300 WSM
McMil G30 Dynasty 270 WSM
Ber B-14 HMR 6.5 CM
Mar 1895 SBL 45-70
Win 94 pre 64 30-30
4 AR-15 Match 5.56
2 AR-15 Match Wylde .223
1 AR-10 Match .308

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2019, 07:06:46 PM »
I can see having a bad scope, but 5, and all have the same problem?
I would look at your ring set-up, and your wheeler wrench
Mike

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2019, 04:14:16 AM »
High Desert Hunter they are Vortex Pro rings they are aluminum was told that you couldn't lap them from the sports shop that mounted it last, because aluminum is to soft and usually bugger them up maybe they were b s ing me.   .257 I went from Burris extreme tactical to the Vorte x pros, the Vortex were wider and thought I may solve the problem but it didn't. My next step is to buy a 1 piece picatinny style base and see what that does. As for my wheeler I have only mounted 6 scopes and relaxed the torque setting every time . That could be the problem though not calibrated properly or got knocked out during shipping. Don't want to spend an extreme amount on a inch lbs snap on torque wrench and there is no place in Edmonton that calibrates Wheeler fat wrench. I did talk to Vortex U.S.A and they said I could be mounting to close to the ocular or the objective bell, is that possible to get to close?

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2019, 05:26:11 AM »
Yes you can get to close to the objective. I  recently mounted a Leupold scope and noticed it getting tight in the ring before the bell, about a 1/4" before so l am over a 1/2" away.
It also makes sense that you could get to close to the ocular or the power ring.
This is one of the reasons l am a firm believer in a rail. I can put my scope where l want it and place the rings in the proper place on the scope tube.
Good luck, it will be interesting to see what you find is the problem
Mike

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2019, 08:56:35 AM »
High Desert Hunter they are Vortex Pro rings they are aluminum was told that you couldn't lap them from the sports shop that mounted it last, because aluminum is to soft and usually bugger them up maybe they were b s ing me.   .257 I went from Burris extreme tactical to the Vorte x pros, the Vortex were wider and thought I may solve the problem but it didn't. My next step is to buy a 1 piece picatinny style base and see what that does. As for my wheeler I have only mounted 6 scopes and relaxed the torque setting every time . That could be the problem though not calibrated properly or got knocked out during shipping. Don't want to spend an extreme amount on a inch lbs snap on torque wrench and there is no place in Edmonton that calibrates Wheeler fat wrench. I did talk to Vortex U.S.A and they said I could be mounting to close to the ocular or the objective bell, is that possible to get to close?

Your gun shop is blowing smoke at you.. I lap aluminum rings all the time. I use Seekins rings with my Vortex scopes and lap them to a perfect fit. Your torque wrench is inherently inaccurate but it's accurate enough since the primary goal is equal pressure. I have a precision torque wrench and have checked my fat boy against it and it's close enough but more important is that it's consistent.

As for height issues, yes, they can be a problem. A lot of guy's will try to get the objective as close to the barrel as possible but they forget about barrel oscillation. I take mine down to no less than 1/8" clearance if I can even get that. The ocular end should have about the same.

Here's the mistake a lot of guy's make. They try to get that scope down as close as possible and forget all about their cheek weld. What your want to do is choose your ring height so that when you naturally raise the rifle into shooting position, you're natural cheek weld puts your eye in alignment with the ocular lens. When you set up your eye relief you want the ocular lens to be set at minimum magnification and mid way between seeing a black ring in the lens. Move your head forward until you see the black ring then back until you see the black ring and set your eye relief in the middle of that while maintaining a natural cheek weld.

As a side note, any gun shop that sets up a scope for you and doesn't fit it to you is just mounting a scope. It's not worth the time and money if you're being charged to have that done. Find a good gun smith or learn to do it properly yourself.
Weatherby Rifles:
M5 USA .257
M5 USA 6.5-300
M5 USA 300
M5 German 300
M5 .308 TRR
VG .308
VG 270
Other:
Win M70 30-06
Brn XBolt HC Speed 300 WSM
McMil G30 Dynasty 270 WSM
Ber B-14 HMR 6.5 CM
Mar 1895 SBL 45-70
Win 94 pre 64 30-30
4 AR-15 Match 5.56
2 AR-15 Match Wylde .223
1 AR-10 Match .308

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2019, 05:11:50 PM »
Yep Id start lapping as an out of true ring may be the culprit.  I lap all my rings including aluminum.
100% Public Land DIY

224KING

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2019, 03:41:03 AM »
I think your fat wrench is not calibrated right
Sorry... Yesterday was the last and final day for any and all complaints whatsoever.

I try to avoid temptation unless I can't resist it.

Everyone has a photographic memory.Some just don't have film.